steering wheel spinner knobs

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #11  
I have one on my IH Cub as it was a nessesity for cutting grass so you could turn the wheel fast enough and my IH 340 could use one too. But on my new JD there's no need, I can spin the wheel with my pinky and palm it just as fast.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #12  
I got one on my tractor and love it.. I found it much easier to make quick turns with it..

TSC has them for around $12 or less.. Buy it, try it.. if you dont like it return it..

Brian

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #13  
I had one on my Yanmar that did not have power steering, but the NH with power steering will never get one. No need for it.

But, yes, ruts and dips can play heck on your hands with a spinner knob.

I just use the palm and or heal of my hand .
It's just as fast or faster than a spinner.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #14  
Of all the pictures of the tractors here I have never seen a spinner knob, hope that is the right name for them. Are they hand/finger breakers or worse? Just not needed or not thought of? I do understand how the steering wheel can spin wildly if a tire catches a rut but for routine mowing it may make turning a bit easier.
Several threads and a bunch more post about them on the board.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #15  
No way I want a spinner on my little manual steering tractor. It's always in four wheel drive and when a front tire catches the wheel will spin quite quickly and with great force.:D

Remember how one never hooked their thumb over the steering wheel on manual steering four wheel drive trucks.:D

I have one on mine and i dont have any of the problems with it that I thought I would have. It works good and I have yet to be hurt with it.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs
There have been threads you can search for, on spinners.

About half love them and the other half don't.

I love having one on Reelmaster mower, but don't have one on my TLB.

I do not think there is anything here that has not been discussed, "spinners" was the right key word. I just did not think of it. Thanks. I have a spinner on my JD LX188 rider that I use a lot that has never offered to try and hurt me, but the tractor has bigger wheels and that steering wheel as all of you with manual steering and maybe power steering know can speed around at the speed of light. I believe the backing advantage is worth the risk though. Many thanks to all that have jumped in here on this.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #17  
One of the more interesting post concerning spinners, IIRC was called 'suicide knobs'.. you may try that..

For the record - I have never had a problem with the spinner hit my hand or anything.. As mentioned i was just using the heel of my hand pre spinner, but that was putting wear on my hand/gloves that the spinner doesnt do..

Brian

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #18  
I have one on mine and i don't have any of the problems with it that I thought I would have. It works good and I have yet to be hurt with it.

I seem to be in the minority on spinner use on manual steering systems. I just observe how my toy tractor steers and reacts to ruts etc. and leave the spinners on the shelf much as I would like one as they can be very handy.:D

In a sense its kinda funny. In the distant past I have operated a Cat 988 with a spinner. It was very much easier steering than my 16 HP. Kubota.:D

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #19  
I used them in my heavy equipment operating days. Back then the steering wheels were Hugh. These days the wheels are much smaller and you don't see them much. There is also the safety factor with those things. Your sleeve can get caught up in them causing a momentary loose of steering control. Well that's what the safety guys state on some of the big construction jobs. If those guys see them on the wheel, your no permitted on the job site.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #20  
I've got one on my tractor which has power steering.
After several years, I found I use it less than I thought I would. Hardly at all when straight driving. It comes in handy when positioning. Like when I have to turn the wheel sharply a lot in a short period of time...when I think to use it, that is.:)