Steiner lawn tractor

/ Steiner lawn tractor #11  
Here's a couple of pics of my two workhorse Steiners that are used on our tree farm. One is a 1979 S-16 "Traction Master" that underneath it's even uglier sheetmetal, is basically the same tractor they produce today. It is normally equipped with a 48" mower that fits perfectly between the tree rows. As you will see in the pic, it also carries a front blade that turns it into a great snow plow when needed.

My other Steiner is a 1980 "Turfmaster", the predecessor to today's Utilimax. I use it primarily with the stump grinder attachment (superb by the way). Bob, it's equipped with a full hydraulic dump bed, making it a great all around utilty vehicle and firewood gatherer, as you have suggested. Attached is a couple of pics of the stump grinder attachment, and the Steiner in action inside the tree rows cleaning up stumps from last years cuttings.

Nothing inspires confidence like these machines in our constant off camber mountainside situations, and these Steiners have become my primary "go-to" machines. Just for contrast, I bought a brand new Kubota B1700 in 1998, and in 8 years time, it only has 146 hours. It gets used mostly for loader work, and loses out to the Steiners on most days.

Both machines are over 25+ years old, and are tougher than nails, requiring only routine maintenance with some occasional powerplant attention. Biggest aggravation I encounter is the carbureted Briggs motors loading up after you exceed about a 20 degree slope angle. Hope to solve this by finding the right deal on a diesel Steiner or Ventrac in the future. Tough to justify the big bucks though, when the old girls are getting the job done everyday!

Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• NC House 054.jpg
    NC House 054.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 14,708
  • NC House 047.jpg
    NC House 047.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2,967
  • NC House 049.jpg
    NC House 049.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 2,631
   / Steiner lawn tractor #13  
We just got a bullitin that they have discountinued all models except for the 430 Max. The rise of the sub compact tractor has really killed steiner and ventrac.

/ Steiner lawn tractor #14  
MessickFarmEqu said:
We just got a bullitin that they have discountinued all models except for the 430 Max. The rise of the sub compact tractor has really killed steiner and ventrac.
Wow that is sad news. Sub-Compacts, while very capable in their own right, are really not in the same class as the Steiners and Ventracs for dealing with slopes, rough terrain, or tight quarter work. I'm not knocking the Sub-CUTs, but the Steiners and Ventrac machines really excel in tasks that are not well suited, or even impossible to accomplish, with Sub-CUTs.

/ Steiner lawn tractor
Having next to nothing in my 525 Steiner, I can't imagine paying what the first time owners pay for them, but considering what this machine has done for the last 10 years, it appeared to have earned it's keep. I don't even keep it exercised good with the less than 5 acres that it cuts every two weeks.
I replaced several hoses on it, and the last one (pump suction hose) should have been primed before starting it up. Caused some pretty bad pump squealing, which caused damage to the pump. It still runs fine in the low gear, which is what I am doing till I have time to pull the pump and have it repaired.
The original price paid for my Steiner was $23,000.00 back in 1996. I paid $501 for it last year. Most people think I got a pretty good deal, for a diesel lawnmower.
David from jax

/ Steiner lawn tractor
I wouldn't feel right selling you a Steiner with a bad pump, especially as much fun as these are to pull. I had to almost completely remove it when I put the suction hose on. Besides, the guy that actually purchased it for me has first claim to it, should I ever decide to sell it .
Thanks for confirming that it is worth more than I paid for it, although I already suspected just that.
David from jax

/ Steiner lawn tractor
Seems the bank mower is a pretty hard thing to find. I was told about one about a hundred miles from here, but it had disappeared before I drove down there the next day. No phone number available, so I had to make the drive. It wasn't all there, and still sold for $500. The guy that told me about it had a couple of pictures and it did look rough. Probably used to clear property instead of mowing a grass embankment.
David from jax

/ Steiner lawn tractor