Steiner lawn tractor

/ Steiner lawn tractor #22  
I'm considering buying a Diesel 430 if I can get it cheap enough. It would be just the thing for clearing snow close to buildings I figure. I just hate, when I rip off the eave troughs, using bigger equipment!

Everybody seems to speak highly of these machines, yet they seem to have really, really miserable resale value. Why is that? Are they too application specific? No 3PH and the mickey mouse belt driven attachments? Or is it the pricey and brand specific attachments? What good are a huge pile of available attachments that nobody can afford for that occasional job?

How are the tranny's?

/ Steiner lawn tractor #23  
Most of them get used commercially or in industrial settings and so are pretty well used by the time they hit the market. The original Steiner designers have moved on to another similar machine, the Ventrac I believe. You might want to check into those also.

/ Steiner lawn tractor #24  
I used to work as a greenskeeper during college summers in Webster, NY.
We had a 2wd, rear steer Steiner for mowing the slopes.
It had a loose wire somewheres, where it would just die, then restart no problem.

One morning I was mowing a STEEP bank off the front of a tee, that dropped right into the pond. Only way was mow straight down, raise the deck to get weight on the front drive wheels, then back straight up. Worked great....Until the motor cut out.
No power, no hydrostatic, NO BRAKES!!! Kersplash, right into the pond.
I'd like to say I gallantly went down with my ship, but as soon as the water reached my knees, I was out of the seat, onto the engine cover and jumped onto the bank.
After I shot a nasty look at the golfers who were on the ground laughing, I walked back to the shop for help. Of course The Owner is the only one around. "Ed, gimme a hand with the loader, I gotta fish the Steiner out of the pond." Which hole, he asks. 14tee. No @#$$, That is the same place I dunked it last year! At least I was in good company.

Turns out a loose ground would only come loose after 45ー, killing the engine.
Pulled it out, cleaned off the seaweed, drained the fuel, greased everything, and it ran fine.
Always liked seeing where it would go.

Keith in SC

/ Steiner lawn tractor #25  
They are very common around us. You see more steiners than you do Mahindra's, Kioti's and Montana's combined. We get tractors are attachments all the time. I have three used tractors and a slew of attachments.

/ Steiner lawn tractor #26  
you find a boom mower reasonable price, let me know will ya

/ Steiner lawn tractor #27  
I have a 1979 S-16 traction master repowered a few years back with an 18 hp briggs & stratton twin cylinder engine (about 250 hours on currently). I currently use it for aerations only (50-60 yearly) as I own a small landscaping business. A few of the attachments I am interested in using are...

1-stump grinder
2- snow blower
3- 48 inch or larger mowing deck
4- slip scoop
5- rototiller

Do you think that I can run any of these efficiently? Some people have said I need atleast a 20 hp (normally dealers), is this true? Also, I was told to get a larger engine into the steiner, there would be major alterations done to the machine ($3,000 roughly). I'm trying to get the most "bang for my buck" on this steiner as I bought it for $500 dollars. Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Judd

/ Steiner lawn tractor #28  
still looking for some info on any of these attachments. If you have any first hand experience, please let me know! thanks

/ Steiner lawn tractor #29  
You should probably upgrade your machine.If you add power and larger heavier attachments you will break axles.Larger attachments take more rear weight to control and your machine is to light.I have a Steiner 430 Diesel with all the weights on the rear and sometimes have trouble controling the slip scoop working downhill.You need to keep the stump grinder at full rpm's and I dont think 18 hp would be enough,unless it was very small stump.The Traction Master is an ok machine for lighter grading,snow plowing and mowing,but not up to the larger attachments.I also owned a 410,and a 415 and I broke axles on both of them.The 415 broke with a 72" mower deck and dual wheels(72"deck and duals are not recommended for 410 or 415),the 410 broke one jerking a stump out of the ground.I have had the 430 about a year with no problems whatsoever. Eddie

/ Steiner lawn tractor #30  
I can give feedback on attachments I own. 48" slip scoop, 72"power angle blade, 60"terra rake, 72"mower, 48" tiller, generator, machinery hitch. I dont own the power box rake ,but I did rent one and was very impressed with what it did. Eddie