Stick welding with a MIG

/ Stick welding with a MIG #11  
Go ahead and move on. I'm learning something I didn't know before I read this.

I'm also going to add that one of my reasons for not getting a MIG is that my shop is quite small and I really don't need two welders. But if I can use one welder for two different welding processes that's a different story.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #12  
The title is false.

Research multi-process machines, many make them from Miller to Everest to Victor and more.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #13  
While the title may not be the ideal best choice of words; News agencies and radio ads do it all the time to get you tune into it. It is known in the industry as a "teaser". Anyone who actually read the words in post #1 instead of just reading the title and then skipping to the pictures would have clearly known this is a multi-process machine as that information was all clearly stated in post #1 for anyone who bothered to read the words.

The relevance of this multi-process post is that many of the "affordable" multi-process machines are primarily a mig welder first and foremost with the added capability of doing some stick rods: Linclon has an affordable one now, Thermal Dynamics which has absorbed into Victor with the "fabricator line" has been well respected for a few years are just a couple of the "affordable" multi-process inverter machines off the top of my head. Others are out there too.

My take on this post is Mark was showing this Everlast multi-process unit runs 7018 real well in stick mode and that is it. (Most of the multi-process units are again primarily a mig welder first and foremost. While they do stick okay in stick mode on the easier to run rods like 6013, 7014, and even 6011 some muti-process brands will struggle with both 7018 and 6010. Likely there are not too many multi-process inverter units period that will do 6010 at all. However Mark's pics show this Everlast model did 7018 quite well - at least with him as the operator).

/ Stick welding with a MIG #14  
7018 is easy peasy for any multi-function machine. If the machine can't do 7018, it's not worth it weight.

6010 is another matter, but it is a fact that many multi-function machines and power sources do 6010 easy. You are misrepresenting this class of machine with the lower priced models only.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #15  
Well it is not exactly fair to compare a $2400 Millermatic multiprocess to the new $900 Lincoln multi-process is it? Or even an $1100 Victor Fabricator is it. What runs easy peasey on one brand does not always run easy peasey on all brands across the board. As the price points change so does the capability.

You point about if it will not run 7018 then it is not worth owning might be a valid point to you alone and totally irrelevant to another. Regardless it is likely the root point of why Mark bothered to post the pics in the first place for those whom it was relevant.

/ Stick welding with a MIG
The point was, and is that I get a lot of calls from customers agonizing between the choice of buying a stick and buying a MIG and it isn't necessary to worry about either or... I do not feel the title misleading at all, a play on words a little maybe, but not misleading. Many are struggling with a budget or a space concern. They can afford to buy one or the other but need both. I am not talking about TIG here. We have advanced machines for that too, but most farmers and hobby farmers have legitimate needs for both MIG and stick welders...not so much TIG unless they are into fabricating equipment.

We have offered MIG stick welders since 2008 and Inverter MIGs longer than that...well before Miller or Lincoln jumped into the world of compact MTS or MIG stick units. We actually have set the standard here. I know because I've had private inside conversations with high ranking officers of both companies over our products and theirs...but I digress.

Every MIG welder we've sold except the E series MIG has had stick capability. But most people see the price and don't realize they also get the stick package at a price significantly below the competition's MIG only welders.

A lot of phone calls I get are people specifically looking at the Power i MIG 200 or Power i MIG 205 against other names and trying to figure out how to also buy a stick welder because they don't know which they need more. From all this it has become obvious that we don't do a good job internally of promoting the stick capabilities of the machine, and generally refer to it as a MIG welder, and indeed it is listed as such on our website under the MIG heading. My transparent intent is to show that it doesn't have to come down to a decision between the two. YOu can have both. And you don't sacrifice performance for either, and that these machines can fit the bill for the typical farm welding requirements.

But...Thanks Rock knocker for prompting me to spell out the details which I mistakenly thought were clear.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #17  
Hi Mark. Nice demo but in the real world why not gasless fluxcore?

Regards,

Clay

/ Stick welding with a MIG
MIG is real world. Flux core, the way many home hobbyists use it is more expensive to use. Small quantities quickly add up to be more than the cost of gas for MIG. Most people move up to MIG (or want to) after a while of flux core with small rolls. Plus the fact that per pound, you get a lot more mileage out of MIG wire. Less spatter, no hollow core wire so more wire is actually laid down per pound. Transfer percentages are much higher in MIG. No clean up with MIG, no slag removal. If you are going to have stick, in most cases you get similar results.

I have nothing against flux core wire feeding, but it is only going to be economical in larger quantities, 12" rolls. But the cost will still exceed the cost of MIG operation. Any MIG can use flux core with flux core drive rolls if it is needed.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #20  
Any MIG can use flux core with flux core drive rolls if it is needed.

I know I went with gas years ago because aluminum necessitated it and that's what I was fiddling with. I was just following the spirit of the thread title and considering why anyone with a mig would wish to attach a stinger and get some rods when it would be much easier just to cut off the gas and slip on a small roll of fluxcore. Still think an existing MIG owner would be better off doing so.