Stick welding with a MIG

/ Stick welding with a MIG #21  
" it would be much easier just to cut off the gas and slip on a small roll of fluxcore."

Actually, you would need to back out the hard wire, take that spool off, reverse the polarity, switch to knurled drive rolls, put the flux core on, feed the flux core wire thru the torch, maybe put a different cap on the torch...

Sounds to me like just plugging in a stinger (and maybe swapping polarity by just swapping front panel connections) would be just as easy, or easier... Steve

/ Stick welding with a MIG #22  
The only advantages to gasless flux core is, production, and being able to weld outside. I ran gasless flux core on a project in Alaska in 90-MPH winds. Couldn't hardly walk around:eek:, but could set for 12-hour days and weld:laughing:.

/ Stick welding with a MIG
True, but you were feeding either from drums or from large rolls. This small 4" rolls that you buy from Lincoln are rather expensive. With MIG, 75% of my welding is done on my shop apron outside the shop. Rarely do I have an issue. If I have a significant breeze, I just turn my back to it,and shield the area and possibly jack the flow rate up a little. No, definitely anything in the neighborhood of 90 mph winds it won't be close to possible, but 90 mph winds can send rocks flying, so I won't push it that far with any type of welding. I'll be ducking for cover in my closet. But you are indeed the closest thing we have to a welding super hero icon, so I bet 90 was just getting you into your comfort zone. lol...:)

FYI for comparison
12 to 20 bucks a pound for a roll like this! When a 40 lb roll of hard wire can be bought for 65-80 bucks. A refill of gas on a large cylinder is 60-80 bucks...which will last a couple of rolls of 40 lb wire. Do the math, they don't come close.

Lincoln Electric 0.030 in. 1 lb. Innershield NR211 Flux-Cored Welding Wire-ED031448 - The Home Depot

A 10 lb roll is as almost as much as a 40 lb roll of hard wire and you can pay as little as 2.00lb or a little under for decent non Lincoln main name stuff that will get the job done. I buy locally my wire, so I have a better price than the typical guy shopping at home depot (by I long shot). These prices seem high all the way around, but this is what most people think of when you talk flux core unless you are a die hard, experienced welder.
Lincoln Electric 0.035 in. 10 lb. Spool Flux-Cored Nr211 Mild Steel Welding Wire-ED016354 - The Home Depot

Vs.
Airgas - LINED21274 - .35" ER7S-6 Lincoln Electric(R) Super Arc(R) L-56 Copper Coated Carbon Steel MIG Welding Wire 44# 12'' Fiber Spool

In comparision to stick, I pay roughly 2.00/lb for any stick electrode I want.

And 2-4 lb for any hard wire I want.

Last edited:
   / Stick welding with a MIG #24  
Mark that job in Alaska we stayed in a camp. The local radio station came on at 6:00 AM. The first thing out of the disc jockey's mouth. "If you own a boat, or airplane you better get to it". On the way to work we drove right by the airport. Most of the airplanes were blown over. We were building dock, as we got close to the water boats were washed up on shore 60 to 70-feet.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #25  
Check out the ESAB Rebel.

/ Stick welding with a MIG
IF they do that they'll end up paying a lot more. 799 (our list price on our 200, not with tbn discount price) versus over 1200 dollars (rough sale price via various outlets).

And our PowerMTS 211Si, if you want MIG TIG and Stick comes with way more than the Rebel in accessories, and features. Way more.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #27  
So your not stick welding with a MIG, you're using a mutiprocess machine. So the title of this thread was quite misleading.

CC/CV machines have been out for decades. Now if you had accomplished those welds with a CV that would be a different story.

Move on folks, nothing to see here.

Wow, you're a treat.

Maybe the title could have been worded differently, but I don't think it's going to trick anybody after they read the actual thread.

"One of the least discussed things about our 240V MIG welders is that they can weld both MIG and Stick weld."

So, he's discussing it....pretty simple. If you go to their website and look at the i-MIG 200 and 205, they're listed under the MIG section. He's just pointing out they can also stick weld.

He never said other companies don't make multi-process machines, or said their products were unique in the capabilities. He's also described how many people call up trying to decide between stick and MIG, and he's simply pointing out there's an easy solution to that question. Sheesh...it's really not that hard to follow.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #28  
So someone educate the uneducated (in welding). Can ANY Mig machine weld with stick, with proper setup of course? I use flux core most of the time cause my little 110v Mig doesn't penetrate as well with solid wire, but I would love to use the gas because it's a LOT cleaner.

Next question, WHY or when is stick better than Mig? I'm sure a book can and HAS been written on that one.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #29  
So someone educate the uneducated (in welding). Can ANY Mig machine weld with stick, with proper setup of course? I use flux core most of the time cause my little 110v Mig doesn't penetrate as well with solid wire, but I would love to use the gas because it's a LOT cleaner.

Next question, WHY or when is stick better than Mig? I'm sure a book can and HAS been written on that one.

First question: NO.
Second question, More complicated. Most people can get good penetration with a Stick machine, and many people use a MIG machine that is too small for the job. If set up properly and the proper size a MIG machine can get fine penetration and is faster and easier to learn how to make good beads. BUT many people try to do too much with too small a machine which can lead to good looking beads that fail. There are many other factors, such ease of changing out a stick for a different job vs. setting up a MIG, and the cost of of consumables etc. This is not an easy question to answer, but I have done my best.

/ Stick welding with a MIG #30  
Next question, WHY or when is stick better than Mig?
Stick welding has a few advantages over Mig / wire feed. Welding exotic metals for one. Jumping around a lot, or working real high. But I've had the crane operator take a wire feed up to the top of pile driving leads on the headache ball for me to repair them.

Attachments

• D.B. Seattle 3.JPG
    D.B. Seattle 3.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 109