Stihl ms290 not oiling enough

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #1  

stumblinhorse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, Kubota L3130
I don’t think my MS290 oils the chain enough. I usually have a full tank of fuel and chain lube last about the same amount of run time. But seems as if the lube is now lasting longer and the bar is hotter than I would like. I keep my chainsaw impeccably clean so I don’t think it is clogged. But how much lube is enough? Definitely getting lubed but not as much as before. I believe short of replacing the pump, there is no way to change the flow. I use Stihl lube, not sure if lighter weight would be better. Still frosty in the mornings when I cut.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #2  
When it gets hot open the oil cap. If air rushes out then you know the vent is plugged.

If not that, then it's time to open the clutch side and inspect the pump and worm gear.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #3  
Pull the drive sprocket and clutch drum and have a look to make sure the drive tang on the oil pump isn't broken. Unlike other saws, it's not adjustable for delivery.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #4  
My little Stihl saw was not delivering enough oil. Even when new it seemed to me like it was not oiling enough but apparently it was because the bar wasn't getting hot. Anyway, it got to the point where it was barely oiling the chain. And the bar was getting hot. Looking online for the fix made me think there must be another way. I called the local Stihl place and the guy told me that servicing the oil pump in my saw is hell. And expensive if I brought it in. He told me to pour out the bar oil and let it drip for at least a couple hours to get as much as possible out of the tank. Then add the same fuel my saw uses to the bar oil tank. Then start the saw with the bar off and watch for oil. After a little bit the fuel in the bar oil tank started flowing big time. So I dumped the remaining fuel from the bar oil tank, re-filled with bar oil, and the saw has oiled perfectly since. I don't know what was causing the flow restriction in the first place but the advice from the guy at the Stihl place was great.
Eric

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough
IIRC, there is a oil adjustment screw on the underside of the MS 290 body.

Cheers,
Mike
There sure is! It was all the way clockwise. I turned it all the way closed and back open. We’ll see in the morning cutting session if it is any better.

Ok that didn’t help. It is flowing out, just not enough. I need to thin it some. I mixed in some gas into the oil in the tank and that helps. But I will try a complete flush with fuel after this tank is empty and see.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #8  
bar oil viscosity means nothing. You still need to have a look-see at the oil pump drive tang under the clutch drum. I would not thin the bar oil, to me that is a mistake.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #9  
Interesting comment about the MS290. I have one as well and I see nothing on the underside that would increase or decrease oil delivery.

bar oil viscosity means nothing. You still need to have a look-see at the oil pump drive tang under the clutch drum. I would not thin the bar oil, to me that is a mistake.
Oil is pumping out. So I assume the pump is working. Took the bar off and ran the saw and oil comes out. It is near freezing temps here. Stihl Chain lube is thick.