Stihl ms290 not oiling enough

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #11  
Have you tested the vent yet?

You need air to enter the oil reservoir as oil and air leave the reservoir. Basic fluid dynamics.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #12  
Interesting comment about the MS290. I have one as well and I see nothing on the underside that would increase or decrease oil delivery.

Well crap pic on 390 was to dark to see. Borrowed a pic from a thread on this done before.

Then info straight from manual.

s390x.jpg

s290oil.jpg

s290oill.jpg

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #13  
If the saw used to use a tank of oil per tank of fuel and it doesn't now, something is wrong. The oil filter could be partially clogged or the drive gear worn out or the pump itself worn out.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #14  
Like I said, you need to pull the clutch drum and check the drive tang. Stihl's are noted for tang failure.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #15  
Like I said, you need to pull the clutch drum and check the drive tang. Stihl's are noted for tang failure.
No there not.

The first step with oil issues is always the vent. Start with the vent.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #16  
Why I'm still holding on to my ancient Homelite Professional model saw. Came with a thumb-operated manual oiler in addition to the automatic one. When I'm cutting long-dead or fire-killed juniper that manual oiler gets a workout. But it sure cuts down on bar temperatures.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough
Have you tested the vent yet?

You need air to enter the oil reservoir as oil and air leave the reservoir. Basic fluid dynamics.
I ran for about 45 minutes of cutting and didn’t hear anything when I opened the cap. The pump is def doing something. So I am gonna drain the tank and flush it with some gas and then add a 1/2 tank of lube and run it and take it somewhere quiet to open it up.

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough
No there not.

The first step with oil issues is always the vent. Start with the vent.
Definitely sucks air when I open the cap. I Put in a couple of cups of fuel and spews out to start and creates a vacuum. Where is the vent?

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #19  
I ran for about 45 minutes of cutting and didn’t hear anything when I opened the cap. The pump is def doing something. So I am gonna drain the tank and flush it with some gas and then add a 1/2 tank of lube and run it and take it somewhere quiet to open it up.
Use diesel instead of gas...

/ Stihl ms290 not oiling enough #20  
Definitely sucks air when I open the cap. I Put in a couple of cups of fuel and spews out to start and creates a vacuum. Where is the vent?
Start at page 60...The vent is right by the chain adjuster.

Attachments

• Stihl MS290310390 Service Manual.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 84