Stolen tractor Kubota M5140

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #41  
I got the whole story on the thief. My nephew had a hide a key in the tool box. Thief was taking the tools out of tool box and found the key. Decided to steal tractor to get home. Its about a hr ride on a tractor to the boys home. He parked the tractor inside a barn. Later, he decided to take the tractor for a joy ride. He put about 5 hrs total on tractor. Since the tractor was posted on face book, people saw him riding around and called it in.
Might want to give that kid a "check up from the neck up". He doesn't sound very bright.

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #42  
How true, how true Jstpssng.. AND you can buy the keys on the web for about $5.00!!!!
IF you look around, you can find "bundles" of master keys.. 4-5-6 keys per order.. Fit Case, JD, some Cat, MF, Ford.. on & on.. all for about $20.00..
I think the tractor manuf. should make it as hard to get a tractor key, as the car manuf make it to get a car key..
Walk into any tractor dealer, tellm you need a spare key.. they don't even look it up.. just hand you a key.. you plop down your $8.00 & walk out the door, to steal the neighbors tractor.. Lol

One day without thinking I stuck the key of my Gravely ZT HD Mower into the ignition of my tractor and it started right up. Then I realized, huh I just started my tractor with my mower key. They don't even look the same.

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #43  
Actually fairly simple to disable most modern tractors as they all have various safety switches (seat, clutch etc).
For them to allow a start the circuits need to be closed so pulling a wire from any switch or installing a hidden switch will enact the 'anti theft' when left open circuit, (off)
Just hide the switch well.
On my cut I simply pull a wire from the switch.

Now that is fine for the 'joy ride' type of incident but won't deter a professional.

We used to do something similar in small aircraft with usually a dash mounted switch that grounded the magnetos.
We'd identify the switch with something like 'turbo boost' or 'GPS Master' i.e. something aircraft sounding but not appropriate to the actual model.
One favorite was 'ejector'.

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #44  
Actually fairly simple to disable most modern tractors as they all have various safety switches (seat, clutch etc). For them to allow a start the circuits need to be closed so pulling a wire from any switch or installing a hidden switch will enact the 'anti theft' when left open circuit, (off) Just hide the switch well. On my cut I simply pull a wire from the switch. Now that is fine for the 'joy ride' type of incident but won't deter a professional. We used to do something similar in small aircraft with usually a dash mounted switch that grounded the magnetos. We'd identify the switch with something like 'turbo boost' or 'GPS Master' i.e. something aircraft sounding but not appropriate to the actual model. One favorite was 'ejector'.

LOL - ejector! I love it! Imagine the thief sitting there looking at that button, and wondering what would happen if he pushed it!😜

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #45  
If probably put the switch out of sight. It’s not like a tractor has very many buttons to push.