Stolen tractor Kubota M5140

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #21  
Man - that is truly a one in one hundred shot. SELDOM see a stolen vehicle returned - whole. Another advantage to a bigger tractor - it takes an enormous truck to steal it.

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #22  
Dayum, it's almost cheaper to get insurance than tracking, and tracking won't ALWAYS recover your goods if discovered and dismantled! If service were cheaper, I'd consider.
!

Along that thought line, after a dozen of local break ins many installed costly camera systems.
I seriously considered doing so but decided that the only real difference between doing so or not would be that I'd be out of pocket for the cost of such a system so I might as well add that $ amount to a future loss.

Now if it reduced my insurance premiums that would change things.

Also for those camera systems to be useful the thief's photo would have to be 'on file' and a clear 'action photo' recording the event.

THEN:
You actually catch a thief, ($600+ tools stolen from locked tool shed)
get an order to testify, thief pleads guilty saying he was drunk and dared to steal, has wrist slapped* and you have lost 1/2 day and court wont pay your time as your testimony not needed (but do pay $4.50 for 40 miles displacement, LOL).

The farce is that If I had not been there to testify I'd have a record and fine or maybe worse, IF needed.
No wonder most people 'never see anything'.

* Ordered to stay away from that specific bar for 3 months!
(not the other 5 in town, just that specific one)

Last edited:
   / Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #23  
Well, you know who he is... ! Post his name and booking photo on Facebook with a BOL warning. You will be charged and convicted of bullying and required to buy him a new car.

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #24  
Fried> hit it on the head<
The thief musta had a skill set already..?? He had to, power the glow plugs, send constant 12v to the inj. pump solenoid & jump the starter..
He was smart enough to do all that.. BUT not check the fuel tank.. lol
Unless of course the key was in it.. which is common for rural folks to do..
Glad ya gotter back..
A simple HIDDEN master on-off switch, should be in his future.. a switch will stop electric flow TO the starter so it cant be "jumped"..
My Kubota key will run any L series; in fact, I still use my spares from my '84 to start my 2013, as well as my father's 2008 when I'm down there. A master switch as you suggest is definitely a much safer bet.

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #25  
How true, how true Jstpssng.. AND you can buy the keys on the web for about $5.00!!!!
IF you look around, you can find "bundles" of master keys.. 4-5-6 keys per order.. Fit Case, JD, some Cat, MF, Ford.. on & on.. all for about $20.00..
I think the tractor manuf. should make it as hard to get a tractor key, as the car manuf make it to get a car key..
Walk into any tractor dealer, tellm you need a spare key.. they don't even look it up.. just hand you a key.. you plop down your $8.00 & walk out the door, to steal the neighbors tractor.. Lol

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #26  
How true, how true Jstpssng.. AND you can buy the keys on the web for about $5.00!!!!
IF you look around, you can find "bundles" of master keys.. 4-5-6 keys per order.. Fit Case, JD, some Cat, MF, Ford.. on & on.. all for about $20.00..
I think the tractor manuf. should make it as hard to get a tractor key, as the car manuf make it to get a car key..
Walk into any tractor dealer, tellm you need a spare key.. they don't even look it up.. just hand you a key.. you plop down your $8.00 & walk out the door, to steal the neighbors tractor.. Lol

At first thought sounds good, but a couple of simple jumpers and 95% of the tractors made in the last 70 years can be running. So unless you start with the locking columns and or shifters which would unnecessarily complicate things and just be more to mess up why bother. If an individual wants to make there's more difficult they can add cables around pedals and thru steering columns to their own equipment no reason to make everybody else's harder.

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #27  
At first thought sounds good, but a couple of simple jumpers and 95% of the tractors made in the last 70 years can be running. So unless you start with the locking columns and or shifters which would unnecessarily complicate things and just be more to mess up why bother. If an individual wants to make there's more difficult they can add cables around pedals and thru steering columns to their own equipment no reason to make everybody else's harder.

I agree with you to a point. If someone wants it bad enough they are going to take it. Yet most thieves are lazy, and will go for easier pickings if you make it difficult.

/ Stolen tractor Kubota M5140 #30  
So you’re plowing with your truck and get it stuck. Then you go back to tractor to pull it out. Man where’d I hide that wheel?