stopped up grease joint

/ stopped up grease joint #11  
To the OP,a 1/4 x 28 is the very most common grease fitting on the planet.
It is 1/4 x 28NF(National Fine)-28 threads per inch.
They usually have a head size of 9/32 " or 5/16 ".
Any auto parts store,farm store,etc.,will have them.
Good suggestions here!
Good Luck!

/ stopped up grease joint #12  
I second David_Kb7uns recommendation to try a grease joint rejuvenator. I got mine from Northern Tool. You fill it up with a solvent such as WD 40 or similar penetrating oil, attach it to your grease zerk and tap the end with a hammer, forcing grease into the joint. If the problem is hardened up grease in the joint, one application is usually enough to get things moving again. On rare occasions, I've had to refill and hit the joint again.

It has proven to be a handy tool to have around.

/ stopped up grease joint
Hello to all. I have a grease fitting on an implement that is stopped up. I have replaced the grease zert so that is not the problem. I simply want to screw a nipple into the grease zert hole, and pour some solvent into it. My grease zert is a 1/4 x 28 (as labeled on my grease zert pack). I have verified the threads are 1/4 x 28. I went to lowes and they have nothing close. It even seems a standard 1/4 brass nipple with pipe threads is actually almost 1/2" OD. The grease zert OD is 1/4" It seems I have stepped into one of my many simple ideas that gets really complicated. Does anybody know where I can get a 1/4 x 28 nipple? Thanks
Thanks to all for you advice. I have a grease buster tool from loc and lube but didn't have any success. I ordered an adapter to go on my bosh impact drill / hammer to transition from the sks chuck to a standard chuck. I then can use the impact plunger on the loc and lube grease buster kit. I also today ordered from loc and lube a quick connect hose adapter which is essentially a 12" hose with a zerk on one end and a coupler on the other end. I will screw the couple off and fill hose with a solvent. I have not tried heat yet. That will be my last resort. Just kind of wanting to try different techniques first for a future reference. Thanks again for all your advice.

/ stopped up grease joint #14  
Definitely let us know how the solvent trick works. I hasn't failed me yet..!!

/ stopped up grease joint #15  
I did a couple the other day on somkeone tractor and simply removed the pin, cleaned and greased fix the zerk and replace.

/ stopped up grease joint #16  
Thanks to all for you advice. I have a grease buster tool from loc and lube but didn't have any success. I ordered an adapter to go on my bosh impact drill / hammer to transition from the sks chuck to a standard chuck. I then can use the impact plunger on the loc and lube grease buster kit. I also today ordered from loc and lube a quick connect hose adapter which is essentially a 12" hose with a zerk on one end and a coupler on the other end. I will screw the couple off and fill hose with a solvent. I have not tried heat yet. That will be my last resort. Just kind of wanting to try different techniques first for a future reference. Thanks again for all your advice.

Not too much heat. Hot to touch only - - not sizzle hot. That could damage the seal in your grease gun coupler.

/ stopped up grease joint #17  
Send the tiddy bowl man down with a dept charge

willy

Hello, just a follow up. I bought the professional grease gun from loc n lube. The one that has a lever as opposed to a "pistol grip" type. It worked great. The grease went right in with little effort. I assume the old grease gun I had with the pistol grip style just wasn't up to par. And also by the way, the grease I use is lithium.

Thanks to all, and I'm sure some of your tips will come in handy in the future for random problems.

I bought the lever type grease gun because at my age I losing grip strength along with arthritis. The lock on coupling is a great help also.

thanks

/ stopped up grease joint #20  
Have you ever tried welding machine to repair your home improvement gadgets, or industrial or factories machinery.

Last edited: