Store implements inside or outside

/ Store implements inside or outside #1  

goodoleboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Still looking since thats half the fun!
I dont own a tractor but i am in the process of building/planning a shop on my property to store my future tractor and implements. I need to know where do guys store your implements and why?
I thought make the shop big enough to store all the stuff inside so it wont rust. But at $40 a sq ft. it seems like I am thinking is that really necessary to myself?

thanks

/ Store implements inside or outside #2  
I store the implements with moving parts inside. The snowblower, mower deck and trac-vac blower unit. I store the grader blade & box blade outside. I would love to store the loader inside when its off the tractor (which is all winter to run the snowblower) but I don't have that much room. A bunch of heavy duty, furniture mover type dollys make moving them around easy.

/ Store implements inside or outside #3  
If you can build it big enough for everything to fit inside that would be the ideal way to go. The weather is rough on bearings, gearboxes, pins, etc. I keep everything I can inside, unfortunately I don't have room for everything. Maybe a lean-to off the side of your new barn would be the way to go.

/ Store implements inside or outside #4  
My tractor stays in the barn, and my implements are under a shed roof attached to the barn. While storing everything inside would be the best solution, it was more than I could afford. I've had no rusting problems with the implements under the shed roof. It has a gravel floor which has worked just fine. Take a look at the costs and I think you'll be happy with the price per sqaure foot of this type of storage.

/ Store implements inside or outside #5  
I have all my attachments under a roof. To make room for them I made shelfs. It's one of the places that my Pallet Forks are used.
Here is a thread that others posted to on the same subject. Click Here. There are pictures in the thread.

/ Store implements inside or outside #6  
I built my 24x40 shop before I bought a tractor. I went with 10- ceilings because I do a little woodworking, but I didn't make my large entrance door tall enough to get my tractor through... I built my pad for the foundation high enough to raise the floor level about 18" above ground level as a precaution against flooding. As a result I'm able to get my tractor underneath my lean-to sheds surrounding the shop with no problem.
I've got a 20x40' shed down the front side of the shop; 24x40 down the back side, and a 24x24 on each end. The FEL bucket or pallet forks are stored out in the open (whichever isn't in use) as well as the disk. Everything else is underneath sheds.

/ Store implements inside or outside #7  
Whatever is on the tractor at the time gets put in the pole barn when I park the tractor. The PHD hangs from a rafter inside, too. I used to keep a few things under the lean-to, but now I have leftover construction materials there instead, so everything else is outside. It would be impossible for me to keep everything inside and still be able to back up to it to attach. I kind of like everything outside in a row. It makes hookup much easier and I haven't noticed any additional rusting, but a little rust wouldn't bother me anyway.

If I were you, building new, I would opt for a lean-to on the side high enough for the ROPS and with the poles set at a little over implement's width or two apart.

/ Store implements inside or outside #8  
I agree with Freds. My leanto is working out well, no rust, easy access, high enough for the ROPS.

I added a overhang around the leanto it to keep out the rain. The overhang is of older (recycled) tin to give it that rustic look.

/ Store implements inside or outside #9  
I keep most things outside, but I hate to do it with things that have shafts and U joints and such. My PHD resides in the shed hanging from a chain over the winter, but it hangs from a tree spring to fall. No room in the shed for something large like a 5' brush hog...

My solution... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ... photo attached. Actually works real well. I am thinking of doing it a little differently, and making a "formal" shingled roof that will pivot on a pipe across two posts, so I can flip it up and then back down over the rotary cutter when I want to.

Keeps the snow off and probably works as well as my unheated shed would... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 657550-HOGROOF.JPG
    657550-HOGROOF.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 528
   / Store implements inside or outside #10  
Currently, everything for both the JD and Gravely are stored inside my carriage house, main floor and basement. I'll likely store the soil ripper converted to row maintenance outside once I need the space it occupies for my brush hog this fall.

Ralph