Storing gas in a propane tank?

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #21  
Storing diesel is MUCH safer than storing gasoline, one of the reasons it is used so much on boats. Gasoline has a very large range of air/fuel mixture at which it can combust/explode.

Ken

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #22  
just off the top of my head, you would definitely want a pressure relief valve. it doesn't have to be an open air vent, but something that blows off at 10-15 psi would accomplish your goal of keeping the fuel pressurized and outside air from entering the tank.

be careful what you use for pressurization. don't know if co2 dissolves in gas to an appreciable amount, but could form carbonic acid if any moisture is present in the fuel, then watch out corrosion! perhaps n2 or argon would be a better gas to pressurize with? or just use dry, compressed air if using the fuel fairly quickly.

1*as mentioned, epa can get expensive quickly if you have a leak. sometimes metal tanks are required to have bathtub retaining walls built around or under them as a secondary leak containment structure. this is especially important near water body such as lakes and streams.

amp
1* Are you talking about commerical or private parties?

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #23  
1*The commercial zoning my actually have more stringent fuel storage requirements.
2*Talk to your fuel supplier. He can tell you if the rig you want is even legal. No sense building a rig you can't get filled.
1*Commerical regulations do not apply to private parties .

2*My suppliers fills these / no problem.

Last edited:
   / Storing gas in a propane tank? #24  
That is true, but so are regular gas tanks. That's why they rust out after time. :) That's why I have to be careful to keep water out - but I don't want water in my gas in the first place!

I'll look into what the fuel delivery guys say...though I am in industrial zoning, so I get away with a lot. :)

Except those are not completely sealed, and cannot hold any vapor pressure...plus, much more likely to be stolen from. If people think it's a propane tank, they're also probably going to think they can't fill a bucket with it. ;) With a propane tank I'm looking for something used, maybe even past it's pressure testing date, since I don't need it to hold 250+ PSI. If I got a regular gas tank around 250 gallons it would have to be new, and probably cost nearly the same.
Good Idea they won't deliver to unapproved set ups.

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #25  
Do firemen naturally assume that propane tanks full of, well, propane, are safe when they're burning? Or back to the first question I asked, is a tank full of gasoline anymore dangerous than a highly pressurized tank of propane?

I understand storing gas, in general, is dangerous, but, I also know that millions of people have a propane tank in their yard or a diesel tank in their basement...
*I don't see those as being any safer.

quote]I don't either.

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #26  
I recently spent quite a bit of time researching storing gasoline as I need it for my home defense fire pump. A few comments that may or may not be of use.

I would make sure your supplier will fill the tank.
*I recall a limitation of 60 gallons for home storage. It may or may not apply and I don't recall whose limitation it is, it may have been the EPA. There can also be insurance implications for larger amounts of stored gasoline.

You can get a vent for a 50 gal drum for petroleum storage. It vents pressure at 5 psi and vacuum at 4 psi. Justrite drum vents.
Zeuspaul
*What does this mean and how does it work ?

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #27  
1*Commerical regulations do not apply to private parties .

2*My suppliers fills these / no problem.
OP said his property is zoned industrial so commercial regs do apply.

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #28  
The sixty gallon limitation came from the Chevron site and and references the Uniform Fire Code.

<i>
A 60-gallon metal drum is the only container approved by the Uniform Fire Code for the storage of more than five gallons of gasoline.
The Uniform Fire Code limits the amount of gasoline in residential buildings to the amount "necessary for maintenance purposes and operation of equipment," not to exceed a maximum of 25 gallons.
Note that local Fire Department regulations may supersede the Uniform Fire Code. When storing more that five gallons of gasoline it is best to check with your local Fire Department for local regulations.</i>
Technical Bulletin: Longer-Term Storage of Gasoline: Recommended Storage Practices

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #29  
The residential limitation of 25 gallons of gasoline is for gasoline stored in a garage attached to a residence. The Uniform Fire Code doesn't limit gasoline stored in a detached garage.
Storage of Gasoline

oops, that's for Canada!

The Chevron quote in my previous post indicates *inside residential buildings*. I don't think a detached garage is considered a residential building.

Zeuspaul

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #30  
The sixty gallon limitation came from the Chevron site and and references the Uniform Fire Code.
A 60-gallon metal drum is the only container approved by the Uniform Fire Code for the storage of more than five gallons of gasoline.
The Uniform Fire Code limits the amount of gasoline in residential buildings to the amount "necessary for maintenance purposes and operation of equipment," not to exceed a maximum of 25 gallons.
Note that local Fire Department regulations may supersede the Uniform Fire Code. When storing more that five gallons of gasoline it is best to check with your local Fire Department for local regulations.
Technical Bulletin: Longer-Term Storage of Gasoline: Recommended Storage Practices
The residential limitation of 25 gallons of gasoline is for gasoline stored in a garage attached to a residence. The Uniform Fire Code doesn't limit gasoline stored in a detached garage.
Storage of Gasoline oops, that's for Canada! The Chevron quote in my previous post indicates *inside residential buildings*. I don't think a detached garage is considered a residential building.

Boy this would be a PITA for anyone trying to keep warm in their in their house for the winter.
Must have really efficient furnaces in their houses .
I mean 5 to 25 gallon lasting all winter .
Where do I get one of those furnaces. ;):D