Storing gas in a propane tank?

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #31  
Boy this would be a PITA for anyone trying to keep warm in their in their house for the winter.
Must have really efficient furnaces in their houses .
I mean 5 to 25 gallon lasting all winter .
Where do I get one of those furnaces. ;):D

Do furnaces run on gasoline?

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #32  
Gasoline is way too dangerous for a furnace inside of a residence. The explosive air/fuel range is way too large. Just takes a small ignition source such as a light switch, etc. Fuel oil/diesel does not have the same vapor properties.

Gasoline as an upper and lower explosive ratios of 1.4 to 7.6, fuel oil is 0.7 to 5, propane is 2.1 to 10. That does not sound like they are much different. However, the difference is the ease of creating the vapors and the flash points. Gasoline is 10 x's more volatile than diesel or fuel oil and the flash point of gasoline is -45 °F and fuel oil is about 150 °F.

Propane and natural gas are potentially dangerous which is one reason why they add the oderants to it. But their vapors are light and mix well with air so less likely to have a localized high concentration as compared to gasoline vapors which tend to sink and pool which is why storing gas near a flame heated hot water tank is dangerous.

Ken

/ Storing gas in a propane tank?
The more I think about it the more I think I should just get 4 steel barrels for 220 gallons of storage. I'm going to look into the idea of CO2 or other inert gas fill as somewhat of a fuel stabilizer and to keep moisture out. (possibly as the pumping mechanism as well) I don't plan on storing it for more than 3-6 months at most.

I still haven't had a chance to call around but my main hope is that I can buy 100% gasoline with no ethanol for "offroad use" but I'm not sure if that's legal here or not. I don't see any reason why not, since race fuel is legal....

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #34  
i have a 120 gallon propane tank i mounted on a axle and use for offroad fuel, not towed on the road, just around the property. i will get some pictures soon

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #35  
The more I think about it the more I think I should just get 4 steel barrels for 220 gallons of storage. I'm going to look into the idea of CO2 or other inert gas fill as somewhat of a fuel stabilizer and to keep moisture out. (possibly as the pumping mechanism as well) I don't plan on storing it for more than 3-6 months at most.

I still haven't had a chance to call around but my main hope is that I can buy 100% gasoline with no ethanol for "offroad use" but I'm not sure if that's legal here or not. I don't see any reason why not, since race fuel is legal....

Use Nitrogen as it is inert . Vent the tank in hot weather and close the vent valve and cut in nitrogen when a vacuum forms in the cold. If you have a drain valve completely fill the air space with gasoline and then cut in nitrogen and drain 20% of the gasoline..The second method is easier..A pressure gauge is good and leave 5 PSI nitrogen press to check for leaks....Should not go down to 0 Psi or just cut in a regulator and look for n2 bottle useage.....Make sure the tank steel is thick(I use propane tanks)...I treat the tank with PRI stabilizer ...5 years should be easy for gas with alcohol and with Av gas(100LL) 10 years...I keep it for Generators.....Charlie

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #36  
Under no circumstance would I use an electric drill or any other tool that might cause sparks on a propane tank, "empty" or not. As for welding or cutting, forget it.

So, how are you going to plumb this tank for gasoline delivery and dispensing?

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #37  
Fill the tank with water and drill away....Tap it...Blow out the tank with a shop vac for a couple days.....It's dry here in new mexico..and enjoy....Old propane tanks are a buck a gallon here and usually because the propane fittings are leaking........pull them out put in black iron plugs and fill away...Leave space for expansion ...I use a hand pump to get the gas out....Filter it.I use lock tight 510 to seal threads..Charlie

Last edited:
   / Storing gas in a propane tank? #38  
Spring Hollow - normally I don't nitpick, or play Safety Nazi (much anyway), but Propane is normally considered heavier than air. For this reason, propane vehicles are often prohibited from using parking garages, and in some areas, tunnels.

From Wikipedia:

"Propane is denser than air. If a leak in a propane fuel system occurs, the gas will have a tendency to sink into any enclosed area and thus poses a risk of explosion and fire. The typical scenario is a leaking cylinder stored in a basement; the propane leak drifts across the floor to the pilot light on the furnace or water heater, and results in an explosion or fire. This property makes propane generally unsuitable as a fuel for boats."

Propane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wouldn't want to see somebody not realize the heavier-than-air risks with propane...... could be fatal. A few years back in Toronto a guy was working on his catering truck (roach coach) in his driveway at home. Had a propane leak, when parked in the driveway. The garage was below grade, under the house. The propane ran down the driveway, under the main garage door, and pooled in the garage. Boom - major house damage, but as I recall, fortunately no fatalities - if I'm remembering this correctly, that was just dumb luck though.

Play safe. D.

/ Storing gas in a propane tank? #39  
I don't know what pressure compressed air will make gasoline combust, but that's kinda like how a diesel works, doesn't it?
I live in the middle of the ethanol producing plants in the nation and it would drive me nuts if I couldn't get real gasoline!