Comparison Struggling between M7060 and M4(D)

/ Struggling between M7060 and M4(D) #1  

Hozzie

Silver Member
Tractor
M7060
So I am down to final decision making on a 75HP utility tractor. Going with Kubota and am really trying make the correct decision for me. I really dislike paying for items that I don't need. E.g, a training seat. It is just me and my dad running the tractor and we are not in it for hours on end every day doing actual farming, so even the extra size of the M4 cab vs. the 7060 is not a major factor. This is a general use tractor around my house and used for bush hogging and some grapple work.

At the end of the day, I have built them with the exact same features. On some, the items are standard (2nd rear remote for example), and on others they are options, but at the end of the day, you can assume they are outfitted the same. Third function, 2nd rear remote, rear wiper, E pto, etc.

Not worrying about discount as my dealer will apply the same to all, the build prices are:

M4D - $63,131
M4 - $61,940
M7060 - $58,930

I was really leaning towards the M4, but then realized it only has the Mechanical 4WD, vs Electro-Hydraulic on the other two. In the M4D I would remove the instructor seat as it will just annoy me getting in and out, so a waste of money.

Outside of that, where I am really struggling is what physical differences there actually are between the 7060 frame and transmission vs the M4(D). I have heard it is a new transmission, but I am not sure what I am really gaining. I lose 4 PTO HP going to the M4, but at what gain? Yes, I get the electronic shift button on the shifter, but to be honest, I don't see that being that important.

The idea of the buying the new model makes sense since I am buying new, but I am struggling to flip the switch in my mind that I am actually gaining anything based on the information I have found.

I am also discussing with the dealer, but they don't always seem to know the details in depth either. Does anyone have any better information on the M4 for areas that aren't so obvious such as frame improvements or transmissions. At this point, I am leaning M7060 and adding the creeper gear as my final choice.

Thanks.

/ Struggling between M7060 and M4(D) #2  
So I am down to final decision making on a 75HP utility tractor. It is just me and my dad running the tractor and we are not in it for hours on end every day doing actual farming, This is a general use tractor around my house and used for bush hogging and some grapple work.

Do you really need a 5,000 to 6,000 pound bare weight tractor, likely 7,000 to 8,000 pounds with a Loader and TPH counterbalance?

Highly likely to rut your lawn.

I am 74 years old. Pretty big equipment for anyone new to tractors over 65 years old.

Last edited:
   / Struggling between M7060 and M4(D)
Yeah, I am not new to tractors. I grew up in IL with much larger tractors. I have 38 acres and do quite a bit of cleanup of tree's etc. I had an MX5800, but want something with more capacity.

No dealers can seem to tell me why the M4D has less PTO HP than the M7060. It's not a deal breaker, I would just like to understand the technical aspects a bit more before making a final decision.

/ Struggling between M7060 and M4(D) #4  
Yeah, I am not new to tractors. I grew up in IL with much larger tractors. I have 38 acres and do quite a bit of cleanup of tree's etc. I had an MX5800, but want something with more capacity.

No dealers can seem to tell me why the M4D has less PTO HP than the M7060. It's not a deal breaker, I would just like to understand the technical aspects a bit more before making a final decision.
It’s also a mystery to my, I’d love for someone to dyno the M4D and 7060 PTO. Might be a gearing change somewhere for greater top end speed? I know my M4 is governed at 2k RPM in 6 H and I’m at about 24mph, just looked at the 7060 is advertised at ~18mph in 4H if you want 25mph you have to go to the 12 so it could be there.

I have never noticed the instructor seat when I’m not using it, I have noticed and possibly removed a belt near the instructor seat…it is nice a nice spot for an extra person to get a ride or get some AC when working fields and one tractor is open station.

I need to add a third rear remote, should have done that initially if I would have been thinking. Not because I really need three at any one time but I do need a self canceling detent and two floats for what I do.

When I got my M4 it was what was available and I really needed it. If I had a choice between it and the 7060…not sure. The cab and seat make a difference for me because my boy and I are in a little hobby hay business so we’ve spent a lot of time together in there. If that weren’t the case I’d probably have gone with the 7060.

Thanks for the response. I don’t have kids and don’t do any hay or anything like that so it is just one of those things I don’t really need or want. I am only considering 12 speeds as I definitely want the higher pump flow for the hydraulics on the 7060.

All in all, the only advantage I see for me at this point is it’s the newer model could have better resale down the road. I don’t plan on selling it, but who knows what the future brings.

I am really thinking about going with the regular M4. At the end of the day, I don’t remember ever needing to put the tractor in 4wd on the fly. Mechanical 4wd isn’t really an issue for me.

/ Struggling between M7060 and M4(D) #6  

PTO HP differences are simply because they have different transmissions. There are efficiency losses from the engine to the PTO as you probably know…thats the simple answer. If you want to know specifically you will have to dig more.

We have a M7060 cab 12 speed…its a gem of a tractor. We have a 7 ft medium duty rotary cutter (RCF2084) and move bales with it all the time. Rears are loaded as well, we have 2 remotes. We moved 150 bales in less than 6 hours…it can work. Smooth transmission, smooth hydraulics, very comfortable operators station.

M7060 has the LA1154 if I am not mistaken. M4 is the same.

From what I can tell M7060 and M4D-071, M4D has the buddy seat, a bit better shifting lever, separate parking break lever, electronic clutch on shifter (thats nice, but not necessary) and weights 700 more lbs.

Especially if you have fairly flat land (no rocky/slippery stuff) there really isnt a need to 4WD a bunch. I agree there.

/ Struggling between M7060 and M4(D) #7  
Looking at your prices and comparing the Canadian MSRP:

M4D-071 is $74,079 + loader
M7060HDCC12 is $62,466 + loader

M7060HDCC is $59,702 + loader (8 speed model)

For me, I can't see an extra $11,613 for 4 less PTO HP and a buddy seat. Cheap me would even go for 8 speed model to save $14,377

You are $4201 apart in US prices, I'd have to like the M4D a lot more to get it, especially since you don't need the buddy seat.

I wouldn't worry about mechanical 4wd, simpler and it shifts in easy anyways.

I am waiting on final offers on 4 model spec'd out exactly how I would want them. Dealer has been closed for the last 4 says for Thanksgiving so just have to wait. One of them I am having quoted is a ROPS version simply because if I can't get almost everything I would want in a cab for a price I am willing to pay, I will just drop the cab idea. It's really not an issue for me, just a nice to have. Only problem is you can't get an air ride seat on a ROPS version.

12 speed is a must simply to get the extra hydraulic flow and I will get a creeper on whatever I get so it will be 18.

/ Struggling between M7060 and M4(D) #10  
Save even more more with ROPS :)

What are you planning that needs the increased hyd flow?