Stuck cuppler on my PTO

/ Stuck cuppler on my PTO
they say great minds work the same.....I used a "air chisel"

/ Stuck cuppler on my PTO #12  
I just had a coupler apart while I was fabricating an adapter. It was very simple in design and I expect your coupler is the same. There is a locking/snap ring just inside. Once I removed that, the slide collar came off. Inside that collar is a coil spring that butts against an end plate to keep the solid part of the collar over the ball bearings. Pulling back on the collar allows the balls to retract. Cutting the plastic collar should do the job.

I wasn't clear if the collar was jammed, so you couldn't pull it back or if there was some other malfunction.

Good luck,

/ Stuck cuppler on my PTO #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why, did they manufacture it? )</font>

NOPE! BUT.... My track record with products BOUGHT at TSC has me ready to launch a few things through their front door.

Sometimes all a person needs is the right excuse...... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Stuck cuppler on my PTO #14  
Cucko if you did use the air chisel did it do the job for you? I'm hoping that you already took the defective item back to TSC and that you now have the replacement.

/ Stuck cuppler on my PTO
Well it was doing it but IMO not fast enough and I did not care for the hammering it was doing on the shaft . so after I got the locking stuff broke of I used a pully-puller to remove the rest

/ Stuck cuppler on my PTO #16  
Sounds like your working with the same "Quick Release" that I've been cussing at.

Mine are on a PTO shaft for a Befco Finishing Deck & while I've finally got the tractor end to function I'm still unable to get the (Deck) Gearbox end off.

These Push-Pull Lock fittings are supposed to be "better" than the Pin-Lock fittings - can't prove it by me.

I'm going to try to get the yoke end off, clean it completely and re-grease it LIGHTLY. If that works for the one end I'll tackle the other. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

cvt

/ Stuck cuppler on my PTO #17  
These collar type locking mechanisms must not all be created equal.

The only one that I have experience with is on my fertilizer spreader and it actually works much smoother then the pin type coupler on the RFM, rotary mower, or the tiller that we have.

Could this just be a fluke or are there others out there that are also cussing these collar type couplers too? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Stuck cuppler on my PTO #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( These collar type locking mechanisms must not all be created equal.

The only one that I have experience with is on my fertilizer spreader and it actually works much smoother then the pin type coupler on the RFM, rotary mower, or the tiller that we have.

Could this just be a fluke or are there others out there that are also cussing these collar type couplers too? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
)</font>

The PTO shaft on my Woods BB840 mowers (2 of 'em) have essentially the same design, only MUCH heavier duty. I like it! VERY easy to deal with, and has NEVER failed to work with just one hand.

I have the exact same coupler on a roller pump. It has been OK.... SO FAR... It just looks a bit "light duty".

/ Stuck cuppler on my PTO #19  
For those who may have joined us late …

This is the PITA that we’re talking about.

cvt

Attachments

• 662753-front-QRw.jpg
    662753-front-QRw.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 161
   / Stuck cuppler on my PTO #20  
I have a limited amount of success to report.

I was able to disassemble, partially clean and re-lube one of the yokes on the PTO shaft, the one on the tractor end.
This is what the parts look like.

Clockwise (starting about 1:00 o'clock) is the rear ring with the three detent balls inside, the spring, the quick release cup (black rubber with a brass-colored steel collar inside), the front ring (probably identical to the rear ring), and the outer retaining ring.

cvt

Attachments

• 662763-partsw.jpg
    662763-partsw.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 145