Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #542  
It’s good that some people enjoy those jobs. It takes people with dead olfactory senses.
I had the septic tank on one of my rentals pumped last week. Pumper guy was an interesting fellow to talk to. The tenant wife is a clean freak and usually comes out to talk when I go there to do yard work, etc. She hid inside with the blinds closed this time while he was there. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/ Student Loan Debt? #543  
I had the septic tank on one of my rentals pumped last week. Pumper guy was an interesting fellow to talk to. The tenant wife is a clean freak and usually comes out to talk when I go there to do yard work, etc. She hid inside with the blinds closed this time while he was there. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
When my sons were small, we had the honey wagon come pump our septic tank. When he removed the lid and started pumping, the boys came over to watch and were holding their noses. The pumper guy told them that “your dad said that you guys are good helpers and could come work with me.” They started backing up and said they heard mom calling them. We laughed. 🤣

/ Student Loan Debt? #544  
My former neighbor does septic work. I've heard the words "smells like money" come out of his mouth several times over the years. When he moved about 10 years ago it was into a brand new home on 53 acres. He did a new tank and field for my barn last fall and he says the work never slows down.

/ Student Loan Debt? #545  
With a graduating senior, I'm also in the position of filling out a FAFSA after doing taxes.

My son also has an offer for what seemed to be a large football scholarship by a private university. That was exciting at first, but it's over 800 miles from home, it's not a school that has all the games televised, and there's around 15,000 a year in costs that it doesn't cover. Division 1 seems to be the only level that gives all the football scholarship athletes a full ride. Yesterday I suggested to my son that he reach back out to the D1 school that is recruiting him and reiterate how impressed we were with their campus, program, and players during our visit. There's more than one kid on the board for every spot and some self- motivation, good communication and enthusiasm from him might help.

Later this morning we are headed out of state for another visit to a college we haven't heard of before they contacted my son. If I'm counting correctly it's our 6th visit to one the 8 schools that say they want him. The miles, hotel stays, and meals out are starting to add up. It's a grind fitting these visits in between other sports and school schedules, work, and normal life stuff happening inside this recruiting window.

/ Student Loan Debt? #546  
@milkman636 did you/your son go through one of the people that prep game film, edit everything, and send it out to the recruiting coordinators for various colleges? Reason I ask, I didn't even know that was a thing, till a guy in Scouts, son was looking at playing college soccer. He had ton of video and all, but it turns out, what coaches where really looking for, wasn't a highlight real of scores, so much as various small things, like reaction time in a reverse, and other stuff. Also, he mentioned, the consultant told them, he needs to tweet/X the recruiter a very short, professional thanks, after any discussion/meeting. Small things like that,

/ Student Loan Debt? #547  
I don't know/didn't ask, what they paid this guy to prep and send out all the film, and all.

Also, I work with a guy, who's daughter is playing LaCrosse, and had a scholarship at a small private college. He was saying that she was still on the hook for like $16k per year, after all the scholarships. He/she also was required to buy a extra injury insurance policy, I guess to protect the college from having to pay for injuries on the field. She transferred, and walked on to a small public, in-state university, and even with less scholarships, the price was less.

/ Student Loan Debt? #548  
I went to a small HS. I had no idea about recruiting or any of that. I wish I had. One of my teammates walked on at an NAIA school. Knowing our abilities, I could have kept playing somewhere.

I taught at a TX 6A school (biggest class). Coaches at that level are actively helping kids with recruiting. They don't even have one of the better programs, yet kids get scholarships and a few have made the NFL. (Applies to other sports, too) If you have that type of setup, you don't need to mess with the tapes and stuff. My understanding is that with the major sports, if you are in a big school, they will find you 99% of the time. The tapes are for minor sports or kids at smaller schools. Not all D1 scholarships are a full ride.

/ Student Loan Debt? #549  
I know I've gotten frustrated with the whole loan/scholarship process, registration, everything with my son. Me and wife have really tried to be hands off, as it's his loans, and he will have to repay them. He is hoping (assuming) he will get a Bright Futures Scholarship (state funded, from Lotto earnings), but he won't actually know for sure until August. It will be based on him passing several 'Ace' tests at the end of the year. But UNF wants him to start school in the summer of 2024; before he even knows, for 100%, the scholarship will come through. All the loans are really set up for Fall/Spring; and haven't got a 100% answer that he will have the first loan payment before summer.

Anyways; I've told him, probably 20 times, and maybe the last time, he kinda listened; Fine, start it the summer, if the loan comes in, it should be enough for housing, tuition, and the meal plan, we can cover lab fees, books,; However, if that scholarship doesn't come in for Fall; you will Have to transfer to a community College. (or of coarse get married, and wife and mes income no longer count against you, and you'll be eligible for more loans/Pell grants, ect; that's 66% joking, but...)

Last edited:
   / Student Loan Debt? #550  
I know, right? Oldest was a National Merit Scholar. There are some schools that throw money at them. Other schools, not so much. Academic scholarships, in general, exist in mid-range public unis. (Academically speaking). They all want early commitments (factors into the schools 'ratings'). Have to find the best fit for the money. In his case, OU suited him. 3 hours away and a full ride. He chose it over Alabama because 'Bama looked too "same" to him. His Achilles heel is an uncanny inability to navigate. The buildings apparently all look the same and made it even harder. It all worked out. Got his MS in 4 years with no debt.