Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #641  
How does your son do with taking on-line classes? Reason I ask is some friends just pulled their son out of college with one semester to go because he was failing his on-line classes. He's a pretty decent student, but for some reason he doesn't focus when it's all on-line. And to make it worse, IMO, he is required to be on campus even though he's a senior and the classes are on-line. So instead of graduating this semester, he and his parents now have this mess.
He hasn't ever done any online classes, so that is an unknown.

/ Student Loan Debt? #642  
Well I think it's easier if you find a job at a company that pays your school debt and gives you a signing bonus if you work for them for certain time.

/ Student Loan Debt? #643  
Online is a good route.

I did 4 years of school in 2.25 by cramming and doing classes over summer. Take double the classes at a time. Only time off was 1 week for christmas. Only reason I couldnt finish quicker was the last couple classes had to be one after the other

a lot of state universities invested a lot into online after the plandemic

/ Student Loan Debt?
Well I think it's easier if you find a job at a company that pays your school debt and gives you a signing bonus if you work for them for certain time.
We offer that and several CNA and LVN took advantage and became RNs.

Some hospitals will retire a portion of your student loan debt in exchange for years worked.

The best deal among the RNs I work with are the ones that served and used military education benefits to earn nursing degrees.

We have a doc that got a full ride as the top academic student from the inner city high school...

/ Student Loan Debt? #645  
He hasn't ever done any online classes, so that is an unknown.
Most online class lectures are live and interactive with students asking questions. I’ve participated in many and instructed a few. They really aren’t much different than being there in person.

/ Student Loan Debt? #646  
A bit part of this conversation also was about his truck. He currently has a paid for 2003 Chevy 1500HD, 6.0 Vortex, that gets about 11-13 mpg. We have been telling him foe about a year, sell that dang truck and get something like a Nissian Frontier, Canyon/Colorado, Mazda/Ranger, or a small car.

Part of his problem; he loves his truck; and the bigger part, he thinks it worth $8k; but is really maybe a $4500 vehicle on a good day. He had it posted about 9 months ago, for $8k, and no intrwst; then he hit a deer (minor front bumper) and so.eone backed a tow truck into him, messing up rear bumper and the fiberglass bed. So, the value might have been $6500 before that, but definitely dropped since

I had a 2002 version of the heavy duty half ton that I probably should not have traded in, and i have a 2012 3500 with the 6.0L. IMHO that 6.0 setup from 2003 is as good of powertrain as a person can find for a truck. Knowing what I know now about their durability and longevity I'd keep it. I'd buy a setup like his in good condition again in a minute, even at 20 years old.

Commuting and stacking all the classes on two days a week to save on driving can be brutal also. I did it for a couple semesters way back in my college career to minimize commuting and have more earning time. It was brutal putting in 12 hour days on the varying subjects and having assignments and exams lining up on the same days. There's a certain amount of natural time management and better focus that occurs by spreading things out a bit over the week.

Last edited:
   / Student Loan Debt? #647  
My son has $80k in an account for college. I told him that's it from me. If he spends it wisely, he won't pay a dime. If he wants to be frivolous and incur debt, that is on him. I taught him what way to go, but I can't make him go that way.
Assuming it keeps earning interest and he takes the least expensive housing options, that would easily get him through 4 years of any state school in Indiana debt free. (y)

/ Student Loan Debt? #648  
Assuming it keeps earning interest and he takes the least expensive housing options, that would easily get him through 4 years of any state school in Indiana debt free. (y)
I didn’t mention, he will graduate HS with an associates already, that was paid for by grants from the state.
His fund has averaged 11.69%/yr since we started it, and he is still only 14. So he will have well over $100k when the time comes. He wants to be a pilot, that is his dream, and it is a very affordable one in fact.

Last edited:
   / Student Loan Debt? #649  
Most online class lectures are live and interactive with students asking questions. I’ve participated in many and instructed a few. They really aren’t much different than being there in person.
What I've seen is highly variable in production quality. When professors were forced on line during covid, it was evident that many were clueless when it came to decent audio and video quality.

I wonder why a college would force a student to live on campus, but then only offer on-line courses that are mandatory for graduation at this point? Many colleges have a lot of dorm space they need to fill for their own financial reasons, but to then tell a senior that his course work will be on-line?

/ Student Loan Debt? #650  
My sister is a professor at a state college (what useful to be called a community college), and she told me that now a lot of their non-lab classes are basically, choose your own method; ie, she teaches the class in person, while it's live uploaded, (with live interaction with the online folks), and it's also available recorded online for later watching or review. I didn't ask how those classes worked with tests?

Me, I learn Far better in person. It's not the same; but I've had to take a 2 day, MOT class, and it was online (always done in person before), and the discussion/questions/participation was crap compared to in person. It was fine, I have to take the same class every 4 years, and done it probably 5 times now, so it wasn't new info. They told us we had to keep cameras on the entire time,

When I took a few full on college math prereqs about, 7 or 8 years ago, I found them to be about useless. At the same time wife was taking same classes as RN prereqs, at a different CC, online (in person mid term and final), her professor taught the math; mine, he told us to YouTube it if you have questions. He didn't even post video lessons...