Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #681  
I’ve noticed many government job postings that still have the “degree in any subject” line-item in the list of qualifications, at both state and federal level. I’ve always wondered why they don’t list “degree in a relevant subject”?

Does that requirement really mean that a degree in musical theatre would differentiate a candidate from the general public for a job like corporate tax auditor?

Last edited:
   / Student Loan Debt?
It does appear government leads when degree in any field is a requirement.

/ Student Loan Debt? #683  
I used to correspond with a guy who ran a computer museum.
He was on the team at IBM that worked on the IBM PC that got selected for production.

When IBM decided to do a purge about a decade later, he was let go, he didn't have a Bachelors degree.

So fame and patents lost out to the degree.

Some of the schools we are looking at for my son are all in at $300K. Room, board, tuition etc. Scary.

/ Student Loan Debt? #684  
Agreed, just had similar experience with a private college that wants my son to play football. They said the right things and offered 40k of first year scholarship, but the total cost is 65k per year. It seems like artificially high numbers to me. It’s hard to fathom anyone willing to pay $275,000 for a bachelor degree.
Have you ever met an unhappy Notre Dame graduate?

I ask, because I haven't. Might be some out there.

Average annual expected cost is around $60K for tuition and $19K for room, board, additional expenses, so around $79K. At full cost, that would be around $320K for 4 years.

Average federal loan debt of an ND grad is only $19K. So someone, somewhere is paying more so that some other one some other where is getting scholarships and assistance before taking out federal loans.

Neither the full price payers or the ones that get assistance seem to be complaining. It's all based on expected family contribution and goes to the greater good.

/ Student Loan Debt? #685  
I’ve noticed many government job postings that still have the “degree in any subject” line-item in the list of qualifications, at both state and federal level. I’ve always wondered why they don’t list “degree in a relevant subject”?

Does that requirement really mean that a degree in musical theatre would differentiate a candidate from the general public for a job like corporate tax auditor?
I haven’t seen those advertisements. I know that in my field, all federal government forestry jobs have OPM standards for exactly the curriculum and degree needed to qualify for the job. And it’s the same for others whom I work with: wildlife biologists, engineers, hydrologists, etc…

/ Student Loan Debt? #686  
I just can't imagine sending my kid to a school knowing they will graduate with $50-$100k in debt just as they start their life. It seems like parental malpractice. Even without debt, life is expensive.

Now, they can choose to do what they wish, but I'd never sign for that loan as a parent.

image.jpeg

/ Student Loan Debt?
I just can't imagine sending my kid to a school knowing they will graduate with $50-$100k in debt just as they start their life. It seems like parental malpractice. Even without debt, life is expensive.

Now, they can choose to do what they wish, but I'd never sign for that loan as a parent.

View attachment 856131
The Income Gap is a hot topic with the solutions offered pay people more, rent control and new construction set asides plus first time home buyer grants and special loans.

Funny how when I bought the clamor was no one can afford a home with 15% mortgage interest rates... I was considered very fortunate to get a 13.5% mortgage with 20% down and 2 points.

Last edited:
   / Student Loan Debt? #688  

View attachment 856131
That is a good visual of why the younger generation will never own homes. You have to make so much money today to afford a starter home.

Something will give. But it will only happen when the boomers are gone and there is then a flood of houses on the market.

/ Student Loan Debt? #689  
The Income Gap is a hot topic with the solutions offered pay people more, rent control and new construction set asides plus first time home buyer grants and special loans.

Funny how when I bought the clamor was no one can afford a home with 15% mortgage interest rates... I was considered very fortunate to get a 13.5% mortgage with 20% down and 2 points.

The asset prices were low back then. Now we have super high asset prices and 3x higher financing prices from the 15 year average.
It's a cocktail for disaster.

/ Student Loan Debt? #690  

And to get that 20 percent down payment, I left the country for 2 plus years.

IIRC I bought down to 10 percent.