Stump Bucket?

/ Stump Bucket? #11  
SPYDERLK said:
The design/shape of the SB is extremely important. Mine is a Piranna. Not good. The look of the Markham is better. Visuallize driving a wedge into the earth. Avoid a bucket that suggests that effect.
larry

I think that was Dougster's complaint about his ?Wildkat/Piranha stump bucket too.

/ Stump Bucket? #12  
Here's some pic's of my stump bucket......using it to remove some thorney Locust trees.

Attachments

• DSC00750.JPG
    DSC00750.JPG
    574.1 KB · Views: 1,309
  • DSC00751.JPG
    DSC00751.JPG
    591.8 KB · Views: 1,128
  • DSC00871.JPG
    DSC00871.JPG
    596 KB · Views: 1,017
   / Stump Bucket? #13  
And some more pics...... and the design file for how it was built. I am still debating whether to add teeth to the bucket or not.

Attachments

• DSC00870.JPG
    DSC00870.JPG
    589.7 KB · Views: 779
  • DSC00874.JPG
    DSC00874.JPG
    580.6 KB · Views: 660
  • DSC00875.JPG
    DSC00875.JPG
    569.7 KB · Views: 704
  • Shrub Bucket Design-R1.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 623
   / Stump Bucket? #14  
Champy said:
And some more pics...... and the design file for how it was built. I am still debating whether to add teeth to the bucket or not.

I like the shape. I would be most concerned about those unreinforced top edges. Perhaps you have favorable soil and work conditions that spare the stress I would expect sometimes.

I was looking at your loader in the pics. It looks as tho the curl cyls are as big as the lifters. Is that a fact??
larry

/ Stump Bucket? #15  
I haven't had to worry about the stress on the sides due to how I use the bucket. I always plunge it straight (forward) into the ground to avoid side loading those members and prefer a shallow cutting and slicing action versus the backhoe digging approach. On most of the trees I've ended up using the curl while nugging the tractor forward to lift and cut at the same time. On long tap root trees I end up slicing the root off below grade then lifting - on shallow roots they're pulled up with the whole trunk.

Can't really say if the curl cylinders are exactly the same size as the lifters but they're really close. The JD990 is perfect for me.

/ Stump Bucket? #16  
Hey Champy, say hi to the family for me.

Just bought a markham bucket, do you think you could transplant the trees you are digging or are you doing too much damage when removing them?

/ Stump Bucket? #17  
Hey AL....still bunny hopping?

I've already transplanted a couple of cedars on my property line. Only difference is for those I made a deeper cuts from 3 sides of the tree prior to taking the lift/plunge approach so that I could also get a decent sized root ball. For straight removal I was only hitting the tree from one side and not worrying about damage to roots or taking a large amount of dirt with it.

And don't forget to dig the receiving hole FIRST! Lesson learned here after I got the first one out and had no place to drop it other than on the ground so I could dig the new hole - dumb huh?

P.S. - If you can believe it, Jake is a 6'2" - 180lb Senior this year! He's already been accepted to Purdue; IU; and University of Kentucky and just earned his Eagle rank in Boy Scouts. Daniel is 5'-8" - 155lb Freshman and is tearing up the place between skateboarding and freestyle bicycle stunts (frequent flyer miles at the local ER). Jamie's still teaching Physics and I just finished getting my MBA! And our new tree farm managed to survive this summer's drought......Whew what a year......

/ Stump Bucket? #18  
Great pics Champy! Thanks for posting them. We like pics!!!!

I noticed you welded chain hooks to the bucket edges. That's a useful feature. I also welded a chain hook on mine...in the center. It helps at times to use a chain when doing a removal.

Alan, You will like your Markham stump bucket. Well built and beefy. I have not bent mine yet and I have done a fair amount of prying with it.

/ Stump Bucket? #19  
I was playing with ours last night on the SS, we did not get the technique down, but attribute some of it too how dry it is right now, it is somewhat akin to digging in concrete.

Sounds great on the family, Dean and I have been riding Tues nights with some other Trials guys here in town, it is cool, but my life has been a circle around this new to us house. We are now shifting too working on the old house.

We have not had the ER trips (knocking on some serious wood) but Dean has been practicing juggling on the 5' uni while riding on the gravel........... He also is getting those high speed 4th gear running wheelies down, and paid the price a couple weeks ago when he missed the brake :( Thought that was going to be an ambulance ride but he shook it off.

Can I invite myself up sometime to learn about your tree farm? It is something we are very timidly toying with, although I guess more then likely we will be a "shrub" farm.

Oh, and added on edit, I can offer you a very special deal on a tree sling for basketed tree's we have been making. Has a hook that goes on the bottom of the basket and a sling around the trunk, they work great, we saw our nursery guy use one, so I made some up, really helps moving the big trees.

/ Stump Bucket? #20  
Tcarter1,
Please consider this with a grain of salt, as I don't own a FEL, nor a stump bucket, but doesn't the fine soil you have around that neighborhood contain just a little bit of clay? And doesn't that stuff get extremely hard during the rainstorms you have around there.(or should I say wish you had). From what I have learned about them is it takes a soft soil, or a lot of wt/hp in order to use one and get good results out of it. Plus aren't you basically trying to clear/get rid of them, not transplant them and do several acres of it as opposed to a single tree, or just a few trees? I think that the stump bucket has it's uses, but it doesn't sound like what you need for what your doing. Probably a lot cheaper than what you need, which would be a backhoe, trackhoe or maybe just a good sized dozer. You can probably get a stump bucket and eventually get the job done, provided the new trees don't grow in faster that you can dig them up. My thoughts would be for the two of you guys to get together and rent a dozer or trackhoe and one knock down the trees/dig them up and the other be a support equipment by pushing them out of the way and piling them up across the way, to maximize the use of the rented equipment. Plus using your tractor will "justify" it to SHMBO instead of showing her you really didn't need it after all. The next weekend you do the same thing, at the other guys place. I think both of you would be surprised at just how much two guys can get done with a dozer and a tractor backing it up. Have a race to see who can get the most done on the other guys place.
If you lived here, my Ford 7710 would just eat those trees, and leave you a bunch of chips.
David from jax