Stump puller

/ Stump puller #21  
MrJimi said:
How about a skinny , long tooth grapple. Some thing with 3 or four fingers on the bottom and a few less on top, that way you could pull it out like a dentist pulls a tooth and most of the dirt would stay in the hole after you shake it some
Here's a human powered version of that very thing:

Amazon.com: Fiskars UpRoot Weeder #7870: Home Improvement

And while there's a big difference between dandelions and evergreen tree roots, I'm pretty sure the mechanical principles would be the same and could be scaled to a front end loader.

Whatever you do, please post pix. :)

/ Stump puller #22  
philbuilt said:
How about using some leverage. Think of the claw ona hammer. If you could fab somthing that has a simular shape. Drive into the stump and then lift and drive forward while rolling the stump out. I'll try and draw a picture.
Phil
View attachment 92679

I hope this helps Perhaps it should be approximatly 30" long and about 12" wide at the end and as wide as you can make it towards the tractor.

I tend to agree with this approach!
Curved, sharpened and tapered (to dig in) probably 24" long or so combined with a clamp or 'overhead thumb' to grip the root mass or 'ball'.

This could be fabricated from a set of forks that would be modified.
Once planted under the root mass the weight of the machine when the forks are 'curled' should cause tear out or extraction.

I base this on the fact that my FEL now has teeth on my bucket and I extract roots easily by simply curling my bucket.
But obviously if I were curved extraction would be even easier (my bucket is flat bottomed)
Whenb I curl my bucket all the roots caught up in my bucket teeth simply 'pop out'.
It is the weight of the tractor mass that does the work!
In my case the bucket is 48" wide so that would be too messy for your purposes but it proves the methodology of operation.
(ps: I will be adding bucket clamping to contain the root mess I do extract)

Good luck!

/ Stump puller #23  
srjones said:
Here's a human powered version of that very thing:

Amazon.com: Fiskars UpRoot Weeder #7870: Home Improvement

And while there's a big difference between dandelions and evergreen tree roots, I'm pretty sure the mechanical principles would be the same and could be scaled to a front end loader.

Whatever you do, please post pix. :)

LOL, here is my version of a weed buster and more pictures in my other gallery
24370Mr_Jimi_Weed_buster1-med.JPG

Jim
:)

/ Stump puller
Phil and Piloon-- my thoughts are along the same lines as yours. The claw hammer analogy is a stretch, but the bucket teeth similarity is there. I will certainly post pics when I get into the project

/ Stump puller #25  
I know that you mentioned you would like to get a lot of the roots out because of root rot. I think that using a trencher device which looks like chainsaw bar on steriods. Trench around the stump with that. One of those could be mounted and driven from the PTO. Then use the FEL to push the stump over and out. Or one of the grappling devices mentioned. Afterwards treat the hole with some sort of rot retardant mixture. I am not a arborist but know that they treat tree's for root rot.
My 2 cents worth of advice. It will be nice to see what you end up with.

/ Stump puller #26  
Perhaps something like this.

Attachments

• grubber.jpg
    grubber.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,879
  • p_ripper.jpg
    p_ripper.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,056
  • ripper1.jpg
    ripper1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,131
   / Stump puller #27  
My 3pt. boom has a foot that allows it to sit on the ground. I can sit it on the ground, chain a stump up to ~7-8", and pull it straight out with just the cylinder pressure on the boom.

2248967Boom.JPG

You could also build a frame for a cylinder, grab the stump however you want (chain, hydraulic grabber, whatever), float your loader and let the cylinder rip it right out of the ground. Crude drawing attached...

Attachments

• Puller.JPG
    Puller.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,687
   / Stump puller #28  
You have a lot of trees to get. We use a set of forks with just one of the forks on the frame. Instead of cutting a V in the fork, I made a channel iron piece that fit over the fork, with the V on it. Now, you can drive up to a stump, slip this in the ground a foot or so before the stump, get it against the root and rock all that hydrostatic drive pressure against the stump a few times and then roll the tip of the fork up and let the loader down and drive forward at the same time, and stump pops up. By rocking against it a few times, loosens the dirt around the roots and most of them come up with the stump. I would do it like regular farming, get them all up first, then come back and gather them all up. We have a HD brush rake that you can drag behind a tractor and get all the loose stumps gathered up with. But, digging one stump, and moving it to over there, coming back, dig another one and so on will take the rest of your life. Dig em, then pile em, then burn em. I have cleared lots of land in my lifetime. I have cleared acres with a Bobcat. Left nothing but the large trees. Hydrostatic drive is wonderful for your application. Good luck.

/ Stump puller #29  
ROUSTABOUT how about a picture?

/ Stump puller #30  
I do'nt know how to do the cut and paste deal yet but you are welcome to look at my gallery pics of a ripper tyne i have just had made to my design . It is for tree stump removal using my 3.5 tonne excavator but could be reverse mounted on a skid steer . This tyne when fitted with the "Tiger Tooth" boot plics out smaller trees like splinters . And when fitted with the "Chisel" type tooth can remove trees 450mm in diametre .