Stumps

/ Stumps #1  

Swblack1216

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti ck25, Ford 4500
Would it be wise to attack these IMG_1498.jpegIMG_1485.jpegstumps with my backhoe?

/ Stumps #2  
I would. Digging stumps isn’t that bad with a full size backhoe.

/ Stumps
I would. Digging stumps isn’t that bad with a full size backhoe.
Thanks I practiced on a small one about 8 inches across new to a backhoe. Need to practice label controls. I’ll get it going to be fun.

/ Stumps #4  
I only have a small Kubota B77 backhoe on my tractor. Digging stumps is an art that takes some skill. The larger the backhoe, the more forgiving it is for lack of skill and technique.

You'll get the hang of it after some practice. One thing I found really interesting when I bought my backhoe:
The first day I was really awkward with the controls. Once I slept for the night, it was like my mind programmed itself overnight and the next day was a whole different experience and I was much more efficient with the controls. Now, I don't even think of my actions, they just come naturally.

It gives credence to the old tip that before a big test in school, they always recommended you study right before bed.

I guess I'm the same way in my job. I'll work on a problem up to a point and then I know it's time to walk away. The next morning, I'll wake up with the solution and/or a course of action. Never fails. I guess my mind keeps working in my sleep.

/ Stumps #5  
I give it whirl just take my time tho.

/ Stumps #6  
In 1970 that would have been a good way to do it

Take your time and don't bite off more than you can chew

/ Stumps #9  
I started and like running the four stick backhoes. Dig out far enough to lever-arm the big roots off the stump close to the root ball. Narrow bucket or ripper helps save time and ground disturbance.

/ Stumps #10  
I dig a hole next to the stump and pull the stump in and bury it. Unless you are looking for a finished yard this works. Otherwise you end up with a pile of stumps you need to get rid of. I've not had any luck with burning a pile of stumps or waiting for them to rot down.