Stumps

/ Stumps #12  
So did I but after I got my hands on one with wobble sticks I never wanted to go back to four.

I don’t even like running a wobble stick backhoe anymore. A joystick setup is far more comfortable.

/ Stumps
I only have a small Kubota B77 backhoe on my tractor. Digging stumps is an art that takes some skill. The larger the backhoe, the more forgiving it is for lack of skill and technique.

You'll get the hang of it after some practice. One thing I found really interesting when I bought my backhoe:
The first day I was really awkward with the controls. Once I slept for the night, it was like my mind programmed itself overnight and the next day was a whole different experience and I was much more efficient with the controls. Now, I don't even think of my actions, they just come naturally.

It gives credence to the old tip that before a big test in school, they always recommended you study right before bed.

I guess I'm the same way in my job. I'll work on a problem up to a point and then I know it's time to walk away. The next morning, I'll wake up with the solution and/or a course of action. Never fails. I guess my mind keeps working in my sleep.
I think I’m the same way when I was working, I thought Prints were printed inside my eyelids but sometimes when I go back in the morning, it doesn’t look anything like I thought. I’m hoping I get better. First step will be labeling the controls tomorrow. Still having fun almost 70.

/ Stumps
Start on the sides, a foot or two from the stump, rip the roots off, and slowly work at it, don't be afraid to go deeper if necessary.
Thank you can’t wait. When I was working and I got to run equipment like JLG’s bucket trucks I was electrician I always thought wow they’re paying me for this. I would’ve done it for free when I was a kid now I’m a kid again

/ Stumps
I started and like running the four stick backhoes. Dig out far enough to lever-arm the big roots off the stump close to the root ball. Narrow bucket or ripper helps save time and ground disturbance.
Thanks you guys give me hope

/ Stumps
I dig a hole next to the stump and pull the stump in and bury it. Unless you are looking for a finished yard this works. Otherwise you end up with a pile of stumps you need to get rid of. I've not had any luck with burning a pile of stumps or waiting for them to rot down.
Thanks that’s a thought. I’ll try that way in the areas where I don’t wanna put a garden. I still have huge piles of brush from dropping the trees and still have four more acres to try to park out. That’s why I got this tractor. Looking forward to this adventure.

/ Stumps #17  
Time is your friend with stumps. Cut 4-6’ above ground will rot out 10X quicker than cut low. Don’t know exactly why? Having some stem to grab and lever helps too. 5 years used seem like forever. Now 5 to 10 year blocks of time goes pretty fast in hindsight. On the farm and woodlot always a progression of trees and stumps to remove.

/ Stumps #18  
In the future it's way easier to remove the stump with the tree still attached. Takes less than half the time.

/ Stumps #19  
^depends. For smaller trees, I dig around the roots and then push them over with the bucket. The top of the tree can be used as a lever against the root system. But there comes a size where that is not safe because the tree could fall over on you. And there could be widowmakers that could fall on you. Or it could be a dead ash that could break and fall on you.

Smokeydog is also very right in saying time is your friend. A fresh stump can be hard to dig where one that has been allowed to rot a few years will come right out.

/ Stumps #20  
With a backhoe that size there's not many stumps you'd need to shy away from. But, it's still a sort of tedious process. If you think about most trees as being a long lever with a big sail on the end of it to catch wind, their root system has to resist the incredible leverage of a strong wind gust on that long lever and sail. So they're often more tenacious than we assume and won't come out without a long fight. I think if you want to start digging out stumps on the regular you should invest in building/buying a ripper tooth. But you will certainly be able to get it done with the bucket you have.