Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #21  
I fully intend to install some kind of a battery shut off switch. I've proven to myself that any kind of "be sure and check everything when you're done with the tractor" kind of I'm hoping to get some guidance from first hand experiences, though.

Harbor freight has one for $4 that looks for all the world to be just like everyone else's switch... Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Anyone actually installed these? What kind of tricks make it easier to install or use?

Where my negative battery cable is right now is a little hard to access. I'd have to pull the side panel of the tractor to get to it every time I wanted to run the tractor. Would it be a good idea to re-locate the negative terminal to make this switch easier to get to?

I buy the HF switch all the time. I actually just bought a dozen of them a few months ago for my side job, boats. They are good quality. I always put one of the red keys on a string attached to the switch so its right there, very important in a boat. I always put them on the positive cable but it does not really matter. Just make good connections and mount it securely.

Chris

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #22  
   / Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles
I really had a bad time with lawn mower and atv batteries, it bought a bunch of the cheap trickle chargers from HF, I then put in some 2 prong connectors similar to a four prong trailer plug, when your done you just plug it in. No need to get to the battery or anything.
Good luck, Dave

Give me some more details about what you did with these trickle chargers. Which chargers were they? Do you have the item number? How did you hook them up to the connectors? Did you hook the other side of the connectors directly to an extension cord?

I've decided to hook up a trickle charger on my tractor too, and this sounds like a great way to do it.

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #24  
   / Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #25  
on my tractor, I use a battery tender permanently affixed to the battery with the "mains" side plugged into a multi-tap short (1-2 ft) extension cord ...into which is also plugged my block heater, in the winter ...so, one plug-in does it. My chrgr has little leds, red and green, and i have it mounted so I can see the lights through the grille. Among the simple mounting options are: duct tape, plastic "handcuff" ties, and a hot-melt glue gun.

Oh, and the little chargers come in waterproof versions, which seems like the one to use on a permanent, outdoor setup.

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles
   / Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #27  
You mean the harbor freight "Battery Boilers"?

Get a decent one as the battery you save may be your own.

jb

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #28  
I use the schumacher battery tenders sold at Walmart for $20. Have a quick disconnect that you mount to the battery. Works well.

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #29  
I've got both the Battery Tenders and the schumacher
and they both do a good job. They come with two
sets of Jumpers, one is a clamp type like on Jumper
cables and then they have a set that you can bolt
on the the cable ends. I usually cut one and solder
an extension in with shrink wrap and black tape,
when finished they look factory. Hope this helps.

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #30  
I use the schumacher battery tenders sold at Walmart for $20. Have a quick disconnect that you mount to the battery. Works well.

I second that. I have one on my 3320, ATV, and Harley. They work great, just remember to unplug before use! I did extend the supplied pigtail on my 3320 so I wouldn't have to open the hood each time to disconnect it. Works great for me.

Mike