Buying Advice Sub-compact or Garden Tractor Orange or Green

/ Sub-compact or Garden Tractor Orange or Green #11  
I am in nearly the situation you are. We recently moved out to our tree farm. I am maintaining ~2 acres of mostly lawn. I have a zero turn mower that isn't cutting it (no pun intended). The ground it too steep for the zero turn.
I posted a thread a couple weeks ago and got similar responses regarding differences between the lawn tractor and subcompact. Pretty much everyone, including the dealers, thought the subcompact was a better option.
At this point, I'd give the same advice as others. Go bigger than a lawn tractor. You are mowing quite a bit of ground. I also think the brush cutter would be much better if only mowing "pasture" grass. I think it will handle taller grass better than a mmm, assuming you won't be mowing often.

/ Sub-compact or Garden Tractor Orange or Green #12  
I am in nearly the situation you are. We recently moved out to our tree farm. I am maintaining ~2 acres of mostly lawn. I have a zero turn mower that isn't cutting it (no pun intended). The ground it too steep for the zero turn.
I posted a thread a couple weeks ago and got similar responses regarding differences between the lawn tractor and subcompact. Pretty much everyone, including the dealers, thought the subcompact was a better option.
At this point, I'd give the same advice as others. Go bigger than a lawn tractor. You are mowing quite a bit of ground. I also think the brush cutter would be much better if only mowing "pasture" grass. I think it will handle taller grass better than a mmm, assuming you won't be mowing often.

A brush cutter will certainly give him the option of waiting to mow or being able to mow if it happens to rain for a month....

For what the OP describes I think the advice to go with at least a SCUT is wise. There are a number of them out there and they are all good tractors. Any shade of orange, green red or blue will work well for that purpose. Buy the one you feel at home on.

/ Sub-compact or Garden Tractor Orange or Green
I have some feelers out for the MF, spoke with a rep on the phone earlier today. As for TYM, I first heard of them yesterday, I dont know much about the others either. What, if anything is lost, with the reduced cost?

FJ, after my conversation with both dealers today, and responses from folks on this thread, I tossed out the brochures for the Garden tractors, Sub compact is certainly what I need. In conversation with the JD dealer, regardless of which brand I purchase, I will also be acquiring a 48" brush cutter to cut the larger amount of field grass, then use the MMM for the area closer to the house that I want to be more manicured.

Thank you Ralph. I have added 4WD, HEL, 60" MMM, R4 tires, and 48" brush to my must haves. As for clearance, both dealers were in agreement today, that a sub-compact would meet my needs here will, neither of them thought the terrain elevation changes would be a significant concern for clearance. I will have to keep that in mind, though if I end up purchasing the other acreage behind our plot of land.

Thanks in conversation with both dealers onsite today, I discussed if the sub-compact was sufficient or if a larger machine would be needed. Based on our conversations they both stated independently of one another that the sub-compact (1025R or BX2680) was the way to go.

I had one here at 1000 and the other here at 1200. Figured to get both of their opinions, (as biased as they are (rightfully so) for their product), as to if the elevation change, location of the creek within the property, amount of pasture grass, as compared to lawn and potential landscape improvement projects as to which machine they would recommend. They both agreed with your statement "push you way from a MMM for pasture grass" and suggested that I acquire a brush cutter, then use the MMM on the main lawn, yet use the MMM as I wanted to expand into the pasture area overtime.
Regarding the wheel spacers and loaded tires, this is where I continue to show my ignorance. I didn't know that was an option on the sub-compacts. I will have to get an image or two to upload of the property to get your thoughts on that as well.

Chim, the 3 step rule is something my Uncle would say to me for sure. Quick question, again showing my ignorance, when you state a rear finish mower (RFM) is that a different implement, than a traditional brush cutter (bush hog where i come from originally)?

/ Sub-compact or Garden Tractor Orange or Green #19  
I can only agree with the others, we have a BX2200, BX2660 and JD 1025R. Some things you just can't explain; 1025R has more features like a position control 3PH and implements like MMM and FEL are a bit easier to swap out. No vulnerable plastic HST fan. That being said, my wife and I prefer a BX. I put Bro Tek fan protectors and wheel spacers, weight in the rear tires and replaced the turnbuckle chains with those like the bigger tractors use. Mark Hodge makes these. If I didn't have bigger tractors on hand, I would have picked a B or 2 size.

I have 48 inch rotary cutter, blade, box scraper anf 60" MMM.

We don't have other brands near, so I know nothing about them, but if you do take time to check them out. Axlehub did a review on the Massey.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0407 Zoom.jpg
    IMG_0407 Zoom.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg