sub soiler from TSC

/ sub soiler from TSC #11  
Bought a sub soiler from TSC to do some light trenching and 100' later took it back with a busted weld. I heard "snap" and looked just in time to see it twist into a pretzel. The weld was just awful. I can do better and I'm awful. They gave me my money back no problem. Now what do I do about the trenching? Trying to avoid the backhoe -- too time consuming and too big a trench for what I'm doing. They'll have a resupply at TSC in 2 weeks.....do I give 'em another chance at me?

John Deere makes one to fit your 45 Hp. new holland. The same one will work well with a 140 Hp. tractor, just in case you up-grade some day. They call it a "single shank 22B Integral Ripper" and you can get an optional 31 pound mole ball that works good for draining wet spots or pulling cable/pipe.

The only bad part is that it costs more than the ones TSC sells.

/ sub soiler from TSC
John Deere makes one to fit your 45 Hp. new holland. The same one will work well with a 140 Hp. tractor, just in case you up-grade some day. They call it a "single shank 22B Integral Ripper" and you can get an optional 31 pound mole ball that works good for draining wet spots or pulling cable/pipe.

The only bad part is that it costs more than the ones TSC sells.

If I had 8 feet of topsoil like y'all I probably wouldn't have broke it in the first place. I was dragging through clay....which shouldn't have broke it but did. (my sister still lives just east of marion)

/ sub soiler from TSC #13  
New Fred Cain 1 Sk Subsoiler 3 Point, FREE SHIP 1000 Mi | eBay

All subsoilers should have a shearpin engineered into the basic design. The Fred Cain type subsoiler has been in production and successful use for over 30 years. Ken Sweet

OK...so I can either spend enough to not be disappointed again...or buy the same cheapo + a welder to fix it each time it breaks.......guess I need to think about this.

... or you could get the "cheapo" and use that as an excuse to buy the welder so you can modify it to have a shear pin. You wouldn't believe what I can justify buying for my tractor ...

/ sub soiler from TSC #14  
you can rent a mini excavator, if you are needing to go through roots and rocks within the ground. mini excavator = backhoe and nothing else exception a little push blade on front. to push dirt back into the trench.

or you can rent a trenching machine (that has a chain saw looking blade) if you have a good amount of trench, you can get self propelled walk behinds, to bigger machines that you ride on.

possibly rent a ditch witch, that has a small backhoe on one end, and then a chain saw looking blade on other end. plus blade on one of the ends to help push dirt back into the trench.

check some rental places, even those a couple hours away, prices can range big time. and check for discounts for 2 day, 3 day, weekly rates. you might also try some local tractor dealers. they may rent some stuff out as well.

if you do not have a trailer, but have a truck you can tow with, you can normally rent a trailer at same time getting a rental machine. (double check though not always have an extra trailer available) or have machine delivered.

/ sub soiler from TSC #15  
Do any of you guys use a tiller behind your tractor? I have a 4025 Mihindra and a R1303 tiller (Yamar) and it works extremely well since I have modified it with the help of my brother and his welding skills. I always subsoil the ground in a checker board layout before I use the tiller to prepare for planting.

Farmboyin Seminary, MS

/ sub soiler from TSC #16  
I have a "home made" unit made out of a box blade shank.
Also a home made middle buster out of a 10" cultivator.
That fits to my home made 3pt receiver hitch.

Have buried them up to the draw bar many times.
Pulled up rocks the size of basket balls.
And cut tree roots up to 4" diameter with the subsoiler.
I just go slow and if the tractor stops moving it will spin, and take a
less deep bite there.

Cross fingers, haven't had any trouble yet.
Will try and post a picture.
--------
Old and New projects 1.jpg

/ sub soiler from TSC #17  
You sure did a great job building those tools. Looks like they work great also. Show me some more of that great American skill if you have build any more tools.
Farmboy

/ sub soiler from TSC #18  
You guys be careful with plows and subsoilers that don't trip or have a shearpin. We hear of experienced farmers hitting rocks and being thrown into the steering wheel. Broken ribs are not unheard of. Ken Sweet

/ sub soiler from TSC #19  
I have one of those TSC subsoilers for light duty work emphasis on "light" being the key.
Here is a good Deere subsoiler for pulling in pipe and wires and for heavy subsoiling.

/ sub soiler from TSC #20  
You guys be careful with plows and subsoilers that don't trip or have a shearpin. We hear of experienced farmers hitting rocks and being thrown into the steering wheel. Broken ribs are not unheard of. Ken Sweet

so really that warning should read.

dont worry about the implement you have on the back designed to do what your doing with it. but remember to wear your seat belt like you should be doing because if you hit an immovable object your tractor WILL come to a sudden stop.

In my case with the subsoiler i use, I generally run my tractor at its traction limit so im hardly moveing pulling it through the ground... so the idea of "stoping quickly" doesnt really exist.