Suggested tiller for BX1880

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #1  

JohnN99

Tractor
Kubota BX1880
After getting some advice from folks on this board a few months back, I bought a BX1880 and am loving it so far. Looking to purchase a tiller for a small garden plot I have (approximately 20x30). There are a ton of options out there and am having trouble figureing out what is best. Would prefer something that works with the quick hitch. Any suggestions would be apprecaited.

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #2  
Pretty much any brand will do fine for such a small garden, although You might want to hire someone to till it for you. Most tillers only get used twice a year around these parts. Thats a lot of expense for very little use.

In my opinion if your set on one, make sure it is not wider than your tractor. Anything bigger would be a waste of money. Also, get one that rotates forward. Reverse rotating tillers throw rocks forward only to be tilled again. If it's a big one, you don't want to do that twice.

Dave

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #3  
I would get discs. Even if you have to go over it twice they are cheaper and basically no maintenance.

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #4  
Rotary tillers like 5 HP per foot of width. The BX 1880 has 13.7 PTO horsepower. Rotary tillers come in widths ranging from 4 to 7 feet. The PTO horsepower recommended for a 4 foot rotary tiller is 20-35.

All Rotary Tiller manufactures recommend a tiller wider than your rear tire tracks to enable one to leave a smooth tilled surface without tire tracks or ruts.

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #5  
Rotary tillers like 5 HP per foot of width. The BX 1880 has 13.7 PTO horsepower. Rotary tillers come in widths ranging from 4 to 7 feet. The PTO horsepower recommended for a 4 foot rotary tiller is 20-35.

All Rotary Tiller manufactures recommend a tiller wider than your rear tire tracks to enable one to leave a smooth tilled surface without tire tracks or ruts.
4' would be perfect and the only option for that tractor.

I ran a tiller the same width as my tractor and had no problems. Of course, the manufacturers want you to buy a bigger tiller because they will make more money on the guy that doesn't know any better. If that sort of thing is a worry to you, get an offset tiller, but that will be more money, I think.

As far as PTO recommend HP, that's not a problem. Being a hydro transmission, you can go as slow and deep as you need.

Dave

Last edited:
   / Suggested tiller for BX1880 #6  
Looking to purchase a tiller for a 20' X 30' garden plot.

Fairly small garden for an expensive tiller. However, if you are affluent probably the best choice. A tiller will require considerable inside storage space.

Following are cheaper implement options near you. You would have to inquire if the Keulavator will properly fit the dimensions, especially lift height, of a BX Three Point Hitch. With these two options you will not have to struggle to connect a greasey Roto-tiller PTO shaft to tractor PTO splines.

Keulavator Frame, 3-Point Cultivator Frame, Cat. 1​

Item #51946

Product Overview
The Keulavator™ frame, sold only at Agri Supply®, is a 3-point tractor attachment that can be customized to shape, ridge, bed and help cultivate your garden. This frame is constructed of sturdy tubular steel with solid welds for durability. The Keulavator frame has category 1 lift arms and two tool bars that are 15-3/8 inches long. The tool bars will accommodate IHC-style wedge clamps and bolts. Based on your bedding needs, clamp assemblies can easily be adjusted for a minimum row width of 31 inches to a maximum row width 52 inches. Please view the attachments below.

• Specifications:
  • Keulavator Frame
  • Frame only
  • 3-point cultivator attachment
  • Lift arms: Category 1
  • Not compatible with Quick Hitches
  • Comes with 2 pins 105549
  • Outside to outside dimensions: 56 in.
  • Tool bars: 1-3/8 in. diameter x 15-3/8 in. long
  • Tool bars accept IHC style wedge clamps and bolts
Also available at Agri Supply®, are the attachments you need to build your custom cultivator. Each attachment is sold separately.

Everything Attachments Tractor 3 Point Hitch Garden Bedder GB50​

Tractor 3 Point Hitch Garden Bedder 48", GB50. Optional furrowing attachment with shovel point available. This model is for small compact and subcompact tractors, and has standard category 1 hitch pins and narrow width hitch pins for limited category 1 hitch. The Garden Bedder is equipped with both a Category I and a Category I narrow hitch for sub-compact tractors. The 48 inch multi hole toolbar allows the bedder shanks to be adjustable for widening or narrowing the bed.

The 14 inch disc hubs have two sealed bearings to keep the dirt out, and bolt on for easy replacement. The optional furrowing attachment with shovel point, to lay off a row, bolts to the beam. The shovel point can be changed to a different size if a larger row width is needed. The furrow attachment with shovel point weighs 15 pounds.
  • Proudly Made in the USA!
  • Premium A572 Grade 50 Laser Cut Steel Construction.
  • Width adjustment range: 6" to 45".
  • Heat treated blades, bolt-on for easy replacment.
  • Hillers use heavy duty sealed ball bearings and a 3/4" arbor bolt.
  • Everything Attachments Product Warranty
  • Free ground shipping to your door within 1,000 miles!

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...en-Bedder-48-GB50-p/ea-garden-bedder-gb50.htm

Last edited:
   / Suggested tiller for BX1880 #7  
Looking to purchase a tiller for a small garden plot I have (approximately 20x30).
Fairly small garden for a tiller. However, if you are affluent probably the best choice.

Following are cheaper implement options. You would have to inquire if they will properly fit the dimensions, especially lift height, of a BX Three Point Hitch.

Keulavator Frame, 3-Point Cultivator Frame, Cat. 1​

Item #51946

Product Overview
The Keulavator™ frame, sold only at Agri Supply®, is a 3-point tractor attachment that can be customized to shape, ridge, bed and help cultivate your garden. This frame is constructed of sturdy tubular steel with solid welds for durability. The Keulavator frame has category 1 lift arms and two tool bars that are 15-3/8 inches long. The tool bars will accommodate IHC-style wedge clamps and bolts. Based on your bedding needs, clamp assemblies can easily be adjusted for a minimum row width of 31 inches to a maximum row width 52 inches. Please view the attachments below.

• Specifications:
  • For explanation, see video below
  • Keulavator Frame
  • Frame only
  • 3-point cultivator attachment
  • Lift arms: Category 1
  • Not compatible with Quick Hitches
  • Comes with 2 pins 105549
  • Outside to outside dimensions: 56 in.
  • Tool bars: 1-3/8 in. diameter x 15-3/8 in. long
  • Tool bars accept IHC style wedge clamps and bolts
Also available at Agri Supply®, are the attachments you need to build your custom cultivator. Each attachment is sold separately.

How in the hell is that contraption going to work in a 20x30 garden? He'll be going around in circles, get dizzy and fall off his tractor.

JohnN99 just go buy a 4' tiller. Tractor supply sells them, and they are fine. It's the best choice for what you need to do. Who knows, you might be putting gardens in for your neighbors. Oh, and never till wet soil.

Dave

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #8  
We use a 60" tiller on our B7500 which has about 16PTO HP, we just put it in low range and let it chew through the dirt.
I wouldn't be afraid of a 4' tiller on a BX1880 with 18 engine HP and 13.7 PTO HP.

Aaron Z

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #9  
HTractor supply sells them, and they are fine. It's the best choice for what you need to do.
Wow, at $2600 and such a small garden, I'd see if you can rent one locally (yes - 48"), or get a walk behind - for like $600. I like the disc idea also.

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #10  
The problem with a disk is that it will leave furrows that you then will have to knock down and smooth out.
You will want a different style of disk as well as the kind pictured is pretty much just for making up beds in a garden, something like this would be better suited: 5' 3point Disk - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist

Realistically, for something that small a walk behind tiller should be plenty, perhaps something like this: Troy-Bilt tiller - farm & garden - by owner - sale - craigslist

Aaron Z