Suggested tiller for BX1880

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #11  
After getting some advice from folks on this board a few months back, I bought a BX1880 and am loving it so far. Looking to purchase a tiller for a small garden plot I have (approximately 20x30). There are a ton of options out there and am having trouble figureing out what is best. Would prefer something that works with the quick hitch. Any suggestions would be apprecaited.

Find the best price you can on a King Kutter tiller that will cover your rear wheel tracks. No bigger than what's needed to cover your rear tires. You'll use it in Low range and 4 wheel drive and just crawl, but it will leave powder behind you when conditions are right.

You'd spend half as much for a rear-tine walk-behind and wouldn't have nearly as much fun!

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #12  
The problem with a disk is that it will leave furrows that you then will have to knock down and smooth out.
You will want a different style of disk as well as the kind pictured is pretty much just for making up beds in a garden, something like this would be better suited: 5' 3point Disk - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist

Realistically, for something that small a walk behind tiller should be plenty, perhaps something like this: Troy-Bilt tiller - farm & garden - by owner - sale - craigslist

Aaron Z

Yes, a walk behind tiller would be cheaper, but if he has clay soil, he will develop longer arms syndrome.

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #13  
Wow, at $2600 and such a small garden, I'd see if you can rent one locally (yes - 48"), or get a walk behind - for like $600. I like the disc idea also.
Never said he had to buy one there. Probably cheaper than the dealer. would look at all choices.

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880
Thanks to everyone for your replies. It is clay soil - I've used a walk behind before and don't want to go back to that. For the last ten years I've used a small tow behind tiller with my riding mower but that finally bit the dust.

I'm looking at this tiller for the tractor:

Would I need to disconnect the quick hitch and just hook it up directly? I emailed the manufacturer and they said they don't reccomened using quick hitch with a tiller.

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #15  
Thanks to everyone for your replies. It is clay soil - I've used a walk behind before and don't want to go back to that. For the last ten years I've used a small tow behind tiller with my riding mower but that finally bit the dust.

Would I need to disconnect the quick hitch and just hook it up directly? I emailed the manufacturer and they said they don't reccomened using quick hitch with a tiller.

What's the width across your back tires? From outside edge to outside edge?

TractorData says your tractor is 44" wide. No way would I run a 37" tiller behind a 44" wide machine. Does a much nicer job when you leave NO tire tracks behind you.

Last edited:
   / Suggested tiller for BX1880 #16  

I would follow the manufactors recommendations. You also need to look at this video before you strart hooking up the tiller so you can cut the tiller PTO shaft correctly and to the right length.

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #17  
If that's what I could afford, then that's what I'd get. Still beats the hell out of a walk behind.

Don't worry about the tire tracks. At some point the garden will be full of people tracks from planting all the new veggies.

Dave

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #18  
If that's what I could afford, then that's what I'd get. Still beats the hell out of a walk behind.

Don't worry about the tire tracks. At some point the garden will be full of people tracks from planting all the new veggies.

Dave
Actually you don't have to till the whole garden. Till in strips leaving a walking lane between each tilled strip. Now the 37" nesayers have nothing on you.

Dave

/ Suggested tiller for BX1880 #19  
   / Suggested tiller for BX1880 #20  
The tiller that you mentioned would work fine. I don't know why the dealer says not to use a quick hitch and a tiller, I do with no issues at all.

You do not need to take the quick hitch off and I would measure the shaft with the quick hitch on and cut it.

Don't forget to put oil in the gearbox many of them ship without it.