Suggestions on a Chop Saw

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #11  
I am wondering if the others who posted about "miter saws" are possiby in the same boat as me.
When I first started building my FEL, I needed a chop saw and didn't want to spend the money for a questionable quality one and couldn't justify a good brand to make a few cuts I needed at the time.
I had my old craftsman miter saw sitting in the corner and slapped a 10" abrasive blade on it and went to cutting metal. 4 years later, I am still using it for cutting metal as much as I use it for cutting wood.
Talk about a redneck,jack leg,cheap-son-of-a-gun thing to do but I have to say, it was cheap ( all it cost me was a metal cutting blade), handy,powerful (13 amps) and is very easy to set for accurate angled cuts. When I finally wear it out, I'll buy something better but I can't seem to wear the dang thing out.

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #12  
For metal, brick and stone, I have a Milwaukee 14 inch chopsaw. I think I paid around $120 for it about 4 years ago. When I need it, it's there and it does a good job. Most of the time, it just sits on my bench.

Eddie

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #13  
I had a 14" Ryobi that I liked a lot, but I lost it in my barn fire. It had a heavy cast iron base, they seem to help dampen the noise and vibration better than the stamped steel models. I replaced it with a Rigid 14 inch with similar features. The Ridgid has a 15 amp motor, quick adjust clamp, cast iron base and quite possibly the best blade gaurd/spark deflector ever installed on one of these saws. It was a remanufactured unit priced at around $80 at the tool outlet store in Birch Run Michigan. I think new they are around $160 at Home depot. Of course you won't go wrong with almost any major brand. They are very simple tools and if made with quality components they should last a life time. If you get one with a large motor like the Rigid, you can really lean on it and not slow it down, but you have to make sure that you have it plugged into an electrical system that is up to the task or you will risk burning up the motor. A lot of good tools are killed by 14and 16 ga extension cords. (of course that is what makes it possible to get great deals on factory refurbished tools I suppose)

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw
Thanks for all the replies. I took a picture of the old saw when I was tearing it apart.

A guy I work with pointed me to CPO OUTLETS. He had a 10% off coupon that he let me use too. I ordered a refurbished Milwaukee 15 amp saw for just over $150 and free shipping. That's less than what I would have had into the POS Dewalt if I had fixed it.

Anyone needs parts for a Dewalt DW871?

Attachments

• HPIM3223.JPG
    HPIM3223.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 244
   / Suggestions on a Chop Saw #15  
i got a delta 14'' paid about $200 canadian for it it works real good

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #16  
Have a Dewalt 15 amp chop saw at home that works ok, but the old US made Milwaukee we have at work is a much better saw.. Both have to be ran on 30 amp breakers. They pull a lot of juice to start that disc spinning.

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #17  
I have A milwakee works great and parts are easy to get

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #18  
I have a Makita LC1230 "cold saw". It uses 12" carbide toothed metal cutting blades. Cuts smooth, very few sparks, and the work piece stays amazingly cool. Also, it's virtually impossible to explode the blade unlike the abrasive wheels. I picked mine up at a garage sale for an unbelivable $40! If you can find one at a decent price I highly recommend them.

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #20  
On the 'chop saw' blades I have only used this brand.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

These work pretty well

I haven't tried this brand...... Has anyone else ?
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

What other kind of blades do you all use ?

This is what came on the saw I bought - very, very slow - I was afraid I'd overheat the blade or saw motor, as I had to push so hard to make it cut. Plus someone here had warned earlier about these exploding in use.