Summer Diesel in Winter

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #1  

devodad

Silver Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE
Hello out there,
I have a 300 gl. Diesel storage tank. I had some health issues this past summer so I didn稚 get as much tractor time as I had hoped, so I still have about 140 gls. Left in the tank. I am in Michigan, so the temps are dropping quickly. My question is, what should I do to make the summer diesel work in the winter. I added Stanadyne Performance treatment to both the fuel in the storage tank and to the fuel in the tractor. However, I have been told I need to worry about algae, viscosity, and have even been told I should add kerosene to the storage tank because the anti-gel products do nothing to change the viscosity of the stored fuel. I just wonder if any of you out there that have a lot more experience than me with Diesel engines have any suggestions for me. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #2  
Apparently the Standadyne is a good product. You could do what I did. Take a fuel sample and put it in your deep freezer. I too had a questionable summer/winter mixture. Good to about -19c so I added a little Lucas Extreme cold to each tank of various equipment.

I think the Algae thing is blown out of proportion. Maybe Diesel is not what it used to be, but I have had bulk diesel here since 1970, had one issue in a tractor twenty years ago with Algae and have never treated for it.

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #3  
Main difference between summer and winter diesel is amount of kero (adjacent cut on the pipestills) they drop into the diesel pool. Just add 1/3 to 1/2 kero. However, additives should drop the pour point as well. That freezer test will tell you whether it has worked and will save you lots of $ and kero bulk. Should only need 0.15%. That's 1.5 volumes/1000 volumes of fuel.

Ralph

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #4  
I personally would cut the summer fuel with up to 50% kerosene depending on the forecast lows in your area, and consider also routinely using an anti gel additive. I would be concerned with storing fuel over a season in a partially filled tank due to moisture accumulation.

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #5  
A Mr. Funnel fuel-water separating filter funnel does a decent job of separating out the water as well as the particulate matter.

Water in diesel fuel leads to algae growth as I understand things. ULSD is worse than LSD as to water buildup.

There are a few decent diesel fuel additives on the market to address the various problems associated with diesel fuel and diesel fuel storage.

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #6  
I think you will be fine with the stanadyne.

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #7  
I haven't used the Stanadyne products also they make several. Did you use the winter formula?
If it was my fuel I would have added Power Serve in the white bottle at the heavy dose,
I would also add some algicide just for security.
Assuming that you have a filter on your pump after adding the additives I would run the pump to
circulate the fuel in the tank and blend the additives after a couple of 20 minute or so circulating cyclesi would replace the filter.
Later on this winter as temps get closer to 0F I'd be tempted to add enough K1 to dilute by a third.
All this goes out the window if it gets below -20F, at that point go to town and get K1 or #1 and fill the tractor with it.
My winter tank is about 30% #1 with Power Serve when it gets to -15 or -20,
I start dumping 5 gallon jugs of straight #1 into the tractors tank to try and get to a 50/50 or better mix.

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #8  
I only use summer fuel year round treated with Stanadyne and never had a problem . My reason is I don't use as much fuel in the winter and don't want a tank full of winter fuel in the summer less power and hard on the pump.

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #9  
I haven't used the Stanadyne products also they make several. Did you use the winter formula?
If it was my fuel I would have added Power Serve in the white bottle at the heavy dose,
I would also add some algicide just for security.
Assuming that you have a filter on your pump after adding the additives I would run the pump to
circulate the fuel in the tank and blend the additives after a couple of 20 minute or so circulating cyclesi would replace the filter.
Later on this winter as temps get closer to 0F I'd be tempted to add enough K1 to dilute by a third.
All this goes out the window if it gets below -20F, at that point go to town and get K1 or #1 and fill the tractor with it.
My winter tank is about 30% #1 with Power Serve when it gets to -15 or -20,
I start dumping 5 gallon jugs of straight #1 into the tractors tank to try and get to a 50/50 or better mix.

I agree with Lou except I was not quite so aggressive with the kero. But if I lived in MI that might change my mind.

/ Summer Diesel in Winter #10  
Sometimes I use summer fuel year round but I use an anti-gel additive such as PS white or Howes. I sometimes also add Bio-Kleen and or Clear-Diesel. Keeping the tank full over the winter reduces condensation and as someone said, the water separating funnel also helps. I don't think you can over-dose on the anti-gel when it gets bitterly cold.

DEWFPO