Surge Brakes

/ Surge Brakes #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
Which type of brakes on a 12 ft, tandem wheel, 2,200 lbs trailer would be the good, better, best? I have used this trailer for about ten years with no problems. OE it came with surge brakes. It is not used that much, like I'm not in a business. Occasionaly I'll haul 3 tons (max) of gravel, help somebody move, or take the BX2660 somewhere...doing about 50 mph, mostly on county/city roads with my F-250 Superduty. Thanks

/ Surge Brakes #2  
Hauling that much weight, electric brakes would be much better. Surges work ok, but they do have issues some times.

/ Surge Brakes #3  
Surge cable brakes or surge hydraulic brakes ?

You really should adjust the surge brake cable with every load . As the leaf springs are fixed at the front with shackles or slippers at the rear , when the trailer is loaded the axles move rearward . The amount they move depends on the weight of the load . A trailer carrying 2 tonne/ton should have the cable backed off more than a trailer carrying 1 tonne/ton to prevent the cable being pulled taught with the result of the brakes dragging and visa versa .

/ Surge Brakes
Thanks everybody. They are "surge hydraulic" brakes on all four wheels with shoes against a drum. Which reminds me, I think I'll bleed the brakes to get fresh DOT-3 in... since I'm giving the whole thing some maintenance. I'm glad to hear they are adequate for what I'm doing. Come to think of it, I had to back the star wheels off full so the wheels would not lock up and drag the tires when it was new. Since then, however, they don't drag. And that BX2660 with a hitch sure makes moving it around for parking/maintenance real nice. I'm old now and short to boot. So backing is really a headache with the truck. :eek::confused2:

Last edited:
   / Surge Brakes #5  
Which type of brakes on a 12 ft, tandem wheel, 2,200 lbs trailer would be the good, better, best?

Occasionaly I'll haul 3 tons (max) of gravel, help somebody move, or take the BX2660 somewhere...doing about 50 mph, mostly on county/city roads with my F-250 Superduty. Thanks

Are you hauling 6,000 pounds on a trailer designed for 2,200 pounds? Or does the trailer weigh 2,200 pounds empty?

/ Surge Brakes #6  
Most of the 75 or so trialers I tow in my marine business have surge brakes. I tow loads upto 25,000# with no issues with surge brakes. All in all I think surge brakes are stronger than electric, especially the new Disc Surge Brakes. They are simply amazing.

I would stay with what you have. I have nothing against electric but they seem grabby and not as strong or smooth as good surge brakes. Now there are cheap surge brakes also. I also like a backup lock out solenoid on all the systems that I own. With out one backing up anything like my boat, 15,600# on the trailer is just about impossible even with my diesel 4x4 F-350.

Chris

/ Surge Brakes
Are you hauling 6,000 pounds on a trailer designed for 2,200 pounds? Or does the trailer weigh 2,200 pounds empty?
The trailer manufacturer lists the empty weight as 2,200 lbs.

/ Surge Brakes #8  
I still don't like surge brakes..There is no control of brake pressure in the cab, and if the surge isn't adjusted perfectly, you've got problems. I wouldn't buy one. Just my opinion given my experience with them.

Boats and constant loads are less of a variable given that you know your load weight. On an equipment trailer, you could have any amount being hauled without knowing the exact weight.

If that's what you have them and like them, who am I to say? Enjoy.:thumbsup:

/ Surge Brakes #9  
I still don't like surge brakes..There is no control of brake pressure in the cab, and if the surge isn't adjusted perfectly, you've got problems. I wouldn't buy one. Just my opinion given my experience with them.

My experience has been different. They are proportional by weight. Now like you said they must be adjusted properly but are trouble free once done and maintained.

Chris

/ Surge Brakes #10  
they have pro and cons.

with electric, you can easilly control a sway with a lil application of brake power via the panic switch. better electric controllers have boost and accel/decel features.

if your tow units brakes fail.. electric brakes are uneffected.

on the other hand.. surge brakes work with any vehicle you hook up.. etc. no need for a controller in all vehicles.

if the surge unit is working and has a manual or auto reverse disconnect.. I'd leave it and use it.

if I was buying new.. electric.. but that's me.

soundguy