Surge Brakes

/ Surge Brakes #31  
:ashamed:I don't understand what is being established here. What's a "Power Unit"? My trailer has a GVWR of 9,900 lbs. It weighs 2,200 lbs. To me that means it can only carry7,700 lbs. So what's a Power Unit got to do with it?

First this chart says its for COMMERCIAL OPERATORS so it does not apply to us unless you are for hire. Its a good guide though.

As for power unit I think they mean tow vehicle.

Chris

/ Surge Brakes #32  
:ashamed:I don't understand what is being established here. What's a "Power Unit"? My trailer has a GVWR of 9,900 lbs. It weighs 2,200 lbs. To me that means it can only carry7,700 lbs. So what's a Power Unit got to do with it?

The power unit is the vehicle that pulls the trailer (usually a truck). The size of the power unit comes into play because when you are going up hill surge brakes efficiency is diminished. You can argue that gravity helps slow you down in this instance, I will not argue that. This is a chart/formula the feds came up with and I think it should be something one should consider when considering surge brakes.

You are correct on the load capacity of your trailer.

Yes the chart is for commercial vehicles, however if you were in a crash and a good attorney gets a hold of the information, who do you think they will find at fault.

/ Surge Brakes #33  
Surge, electric, air. ;) Seriously, keep what you have. Converting to electric would be expensive, and you'd need a controller for each vehicle. The only complaint I have with surge brakes is backing up in some situations.

My boat trailer had a gap that I could put a 2x4 in. I had a piece of 2x4 with a wire on it, when I needed to back up, just wired the 2x4 in place and presto, no brakes. Remember to take it out or presto, no brakes when you need them later...

Backing down a hill is fun, especially on loose material like gravel on a boat ramp...

/ Surge Brakes #35  
I would like to add some about surge brake maintenance:

As said by somebody else, adjust for brake shoe wear, usually by stars which you can pry with a screwdriver to extend them untill the wheel drags, then slacken a bit.
When thats done, also make sure that the pull rod and bowdens arent too sloppy: When these are too sloppy, you'll ruin the gas strut in the coupling head, causing the brakes to bump.
The biggest cause of poor functioning surge brakes are bad bowdens. as any steel cable, they may get stuck because of dirt, rust or because the steel wires start to brush off. For my 2.5 ton trailer, they cost 13 euro each. replacement should allways be done per axle, and preferrably for the whole trailer to keep the brake force equal to all wheels.

At market sales trailers we renewed brake bowdens every 2 years, because they drove with a continuous 200% overload. (a company had a 5 ton generator kit on a 3.5 ton trailer) At normal use, brake bowdens will last at least 10 years before they age and drag.

when you have one way brakes (backmatic) the backmatic release mechanism likes some copper grease every couple of years to keep it smooth.

/ Surge Brakes #36  
Hey, hey, hey. Don't blame my laziness for the brakes locking:laughing:

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I don't pull my trailer often enough to know when enough trailer brake is enough (especially empty), so it's pretty frequent to look up at a stop light and see that little smoke trail.

man.. I bet those brakes hate you....

soundguy