Surge Protection Install Ques

/ Surge Protection Install Ques #11  
We live at the end of a very long dead ended line and lightning surges were a common problem. I put in an external Square-D surge protector. No trouble since. Mounted it in a knock-out at the top of the 200 Amp panel near the line entry and connected it to the top of the busses with short wires.

P1020172.JPG

gg

/ Surge Protection Install Ques
I second the siemens FS140. Its an awsome unit. I have a 499 amp service and have installed one on house 200 amp panel and one on shop 200 amp panel.
how long do the FS140 usually last under "normal" operating circumstances? mainly spikes/surges via powerlines, but excluding lightening strikes, including errant hits.

We live at the end of a very long dead ended line and lightning surges were a common problem. I put in an external Square-D surge protector. No trouble since. Mounted it in a knock-out at the top of the 200 Amp panel near the line entry and connected it to the top of the busses with short wires.

View attachment 792198

gg
I have installed 2 HEPD80's about 5-6 yrs ago and they are both doing well, still w 2 green lights

/ Surge Protection Install Ques #14  
I have one of these:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81VPPo-SK3L.jpg

Siemens QSA2020SPD

Occupies two spaces, but no loss of breakers.

/ Surge Protection Install Ques #15  
how long do the FS140 usually last under "normal" operating circumstances? mainly spikes/surges via powerlines, but excluding lightening strikes, including errant hits.
I installed mine 5-6 years ago still going strong. Ive installed alot of these for clients going back many years, and have never been called to repair it.

/ Surge Protection Install Ques #16  
Should be decades excluding lightning strikes. All electronic devices degrade over time though.
The higher the fault diversion rating of the device the longer it will last. At 140,000 amps this is one of the highest rated suppressors on the market.

/ Surge Protection Install Ques #18  
I have one of these:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81VPPo-SK3L.jpg

Siemens QSA2020SPD

Occupies two spaces, but no loss of breakers.
I have 2, 200A main panels and a 50A generator panel.

They all have those same protectors installed with a Murray label and a lightning arrestor thru a knock out.

Thanks Beav...do you know the cut out rating when it goes to ground, in amps?

/ Surge Protection Install Ques #20  
the siemens surge BREAKER is rated 40,000 amp surge.

THE FS140 standalone has 140,000 amp rating.