Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #51  
What is the benefit beyond only having one machine? Because if you take off the MMM you still have to store it.
Full disclosure, I've not had the deck on at all since I now have the Bradley mower. And, I wouldn't buy a MMM specifically for the following, but...

If you don't take it off, you got extra ballast which also lowers your center of gravity. I got a slopes here, I could definitely tell the difference in how planted that tractor is, depending on whether the deck is on or not. Before I got my Bradley mower, I just had the deck on all the time. The loader would come off when I mowed, and the hoe was mostly stored anyways unless I need it. The mower deck only came off in the winter.

Another thing, fuel cost. Diesel prices are ridiculous now, but generally it's way less expensive to mow with that diesel tractor compared to a gas mower.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #52  
I’d love to have a zero turn mower. You going to buy it for me? I always see people hyping a zero turn over a mid mount. I’ve looked at zero turns. One I would want is well north of $5k. A mid mount stored upright takes up a lot less room than a zero turn also.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice.
The only negative I can think of for a front mount blower is the cost, they aren’t cheap. I’ve stuck with a rear blade and the FEL. I know someone that found a front mount blower and the hardware used.

Yep, the quick hitch seems like the first step to getting a blower or blade, and it’s basically a grand for the kit from a dealer. It seems hard to find the specific mount and hardware on the used market. There seems to be used blade and blower options available from that point to fit the quick hitch. I’m being patient, starting to do my homework, and watching for something to pop up locally.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #54  
On my 2320, I have set up a used ATV blade on the front using the front mower mount bracket and it works well. I set up a cylinder on the front weight bar to lift the blade using a chain. I've got more invested in the hydraulic cylinders than I do in the blade and mounting hardware.

I've never understood a MMM tractor. A zero turn and a tractor combination is the best combination.
That's one of the beautiful things about life. Everyone gets to decide their own "best combination". My 2+ acres of yard has contour, and the front tires of the scut seem to track and hold on a slope better than the swivel casters of a zero-turn. Cut quality and mowing speed are great too, and I bought this thing with a loader and mower for less than the price of a diesel powered zero turn. Storing the deck is real easy with the parts and dollies in the picture too. I'm sure I'd like a nice zero turn too if I had one, but this is my best combination.

I had a JD650 with a front mount blower for 25 years and loved it (lost it in a fire), but, that tractor was only practical with a front blower, the 1025 is different. Having the hydrostatic transmission means that you can run at the optimum speed in either direction. The manual transmission of the 650 meant only "high" or "low" in reverse. Blowing in "high" was unlikely, so all rear blowing in low, which was too slow often. But with the hydrostatic transmission, you can blow in reverse at whatever speed works.

So, I reconfigured the front blower to be three point rear, and bought a quick attach front blade, and it's the perfect combination. I mostly plow, because it's fast, then blow whatever I cannot plow. If I get in really deep, I can swap on the bucket to bucket snow away. But the front blade works pretty well to stack a high snow pile.

I had already installed a third function hydraulic valve at the rear, which is needed to swing the blower chute.

The 1025R will not run tire chains, but so far, it's been okay without them.
I've considered a front blade and rear blower setup too. But, I'm quietly hoping to eventually score both a front blade and blower to choose from in the future. With the 10 series being as prolific as it is, I am thinking there will be a market for reselling any attachment that I try and don't want to keep long term.

I did not know that the 10 series couldn't run tire chains. That is new information for me.

On my 2320, I have set up a used ATV blade on the front using the front mower mount bracket and it works well. I set up a cylinder on the front weight bar to lift the blade using a chain. I've got more invested in the hydraulic cylinders than I do in the blade and mounting hardware.
That's interesting. I don't feel so alone now. I saw a 60" gas powered UTV snow blower for sale the other day and had a crazy thought I could attach the mount to pallet forks and run it on my little tractor without all the JD hardware and brackets.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #58  
I’d love to have a zero turn mower. You going to buy it for me? I always see people hyping a zero turn over a mid mount. I’ve looked at zero turns. One I would want is well north of $5k. A mid mount stored upright takes up a lot less room than a zero turn also.
How many acres are you mowing? If less than 1 acre and very little trees to mow around a $5k zero turn would be fine.
I mow 4 acres with a 60" zero turn around quite a few obstacles. Would never consider mowing that with a tractor.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #59  
That's one of the beautiful things about life. Everyone gets to decide their own "best combination". My 2+ acres of yard has contour, and the front tires of the scut seem to track and hold on a slope better than the swivel casters of a zero-turn. Cut quality and mowing speed are great too, and I bought this thing with a loader and mower for less than the price of a diesel powered zero turn. Storing the deck is real easy with the parts and dollies in the picture too. I'm sure I'd like a nice zero turn too if I had one, but this is my best combination.
Don't you also have a 38hp hst tractor?

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #60  

milkman636, where did you get the support legs/ caster assemblies/ that mount to mower deck to hold it up vertically? I have been contemplating that for some time. I have the 72" deck and I assume they would work also. Thanks in advance.