Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #11  
canoetrpr said:
The plot gets thicker..

So I call another rather big Kubota dealer in the area.

All they carry is UDT. He too did not know that "Super UDT" even existed and said they have always used UDT and once the warranty expires use another aftermarket generic hydraulic oil.

He also said they sell 15W-40 as engine oil and run it year around and that is what he recommends.

What is this - a plot to confuse Canadians????

You're forgetting about the exchange rate. If you factor in the exchange rate 15w40 in Canada equals 10w30 in the US - just kidding.

I know you can order SUDT online from Amazon.com if you need to. I bought a 5 gallon pail of UTF red from TRC (courtesy of DeiselPower) and plan to run that at my next change.

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service
Heck I'm not even sure if I can order fluids over the internet or whether I'll have a problem with customs etc. and what shipping fees will be. This stuff is pretty heavy!. If I can I'm done with relying on these local dealers.

If I can find SUDT around I'll pick it up and either use the UDT in the front axle or return the UDT, pay the restocking fee - or exchange for a few filters that I can use the next time around.

Anybody have an opinion on what kind of shelf life this UDT would have if I used some for the front axle and kept it around for future fluid changes for the front axle?

If I can't find the SUDT I might just have to use the UDT for now and see whether I notice a difference or not.

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #13  
I think I'd call the dealer and order enough SUDT. They can surely order it; my Kubota dealer in HOT Georgia stocks it all the time. When it comes in, take the UDT in with you for a FULL credit on the SUDT. If the parts counter guys balks, get the dealer manager, and ask him nice to do the credit while mentioning that Kubota RECOMMENDS SUDT FOR COLDER CLIMATES and that you wouldn't want to have to send Kubota a letter to complain about how the dealer advocates you ignoring Kubota's recommendation. Maybe they'll reconsider the restocking fee.

- Jay

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #14  
canoetrpr said:
This stuff is pretty heavy!
On the bright side, it weighs less than 5 gal of water...:)

canoetrpr said:
Anybody have an opinion on what kind of shelf life this UDT would have if I used some for the front axle and kept it around for future fluid changes for the front axle?
As long as you kept it in a cool dry place (shouldn't be hard there ;) ) it should last at least as long as you need it to). But like others have said, I'd take it back for full credit. That restocking fee is crap too, it's not like it was a special order (they're selling this stuff by the truckload - right?)

Don't feel bad... like you said, it's the dealer and they're supposed to be trustworthy and knowledgeable. It's a disservice to all of us when one isn't.

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #15  
Just finished the 50 hour service on my bx2350 10 minutes ago! My dealer in NH told me to use 15w-40 too. Said it's all they use when they service tractors. They did have the SUDT.

I think I have an extra piece in this UDT SUDT puzzle.

Every dealer for about 100 miles around here only carries one kind of hydraulic oil. It turns out it is called neither UDT nor SUDT but "Premium UDT". Thats what I have a 20 liter tub of in the back of my van right now.

I just read the tub and it says:

"Kubota Premium UDT: Performance similar to UDT but with superior cold weather properties".

It appears to be manufactured specifically for Kubota Canada.

I strongly suspect that what I am sitting on there IS SUDT and that is ALL that is sold in Canada given our weather but it is branded under this different name "Premium UDT".

I'm willing to bet that this is what my tractor came with as well. I imagine that at somepoint in the past someone in Kubota Canada decided that the regular UDT stuff just wasn't good enough for our weather so it doesn't eve appear to be sold around here.

Just something else to confuse us Canadians!

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #17  
Well fellas... who ya gonna trust? The people that designed and manufactured the engine, or the dealer who is likely buying oil in bulk and has conflicting financial and logistics interests to stock and use a brand and/or weight that may not serve yours the best?
NOWHERE in my B3030 manual does 15W40 appear. God forbid you need a blood transfusion and the doctor says "ehh.. it's all red, this one's close enough..."
New tractor, your $$$. Do your worst.

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #18  
canoetrpr said:
I strongly suspect that what I am sitting on there IS SUDT and that is ALL that is sold in Canada given our weather but it is branded under this different name "Premium UDT".
I suspect (and hope) you're onto something there... it must be a language thing. Premium in Canadian must translate to Super in the US ;)

DiezNutz said:
I suspect (and hope) you're onto something there... it must be a language thing. Premium in Canadian must translate to Super in the US ;)

Maybe "Premium" translates better in French than "Super" ;-)

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #20  
I use Mobil 5w-40 synthetic in my B3030. I would not, however, be at all concerned about doing damage with regular 15w-40. It is what is recommended and used by almost all heavy-duty diesel engines in the states. I use regular Mobil Delvac 15w-40 in my work truck's engine, a 5.9L Cummins. Go to any place that sells Diesel oil and all you're going to find is 15w-40 regular or 5w-40 synthetic. It works and is the industry standard. Your engine will be just fine. There are thousands of Kubota Diesel engines around the country running all kinds of equipment besides tractors. I would bet that not many have 10w-30 in them. The Kubota dealers that recommend 15w-40 are not stupid. If it caused problems they would be the first to know. Oil related engine failure is probably the last thing anyone needs to worry about. Just change it at regular intervals and your engine will last a long time.