Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #31  
canoetrpr said:
Kubota in Canada does distribute both 15W-40 and 10W-30 and it is branded as Kubota. The dealer that sold me the 15W-40 had both in stock so I was sure that he wasn't trying to do this just out of his financial interest.
You are correct, Sir. I've never seen it, but after doing a little digging, apparently yes Kubota does brand 15W-40 oil, so I can't use that as an argument. :eek: Why Kubota Canada would distribute it is beyond me though... Question for all: is 15W-40 listed in any of your owner's manuals as a recommended grade? My hunch is it exists for use in some of the heavier equipment but not our "little" B/BX's.

I still find no reason to deviate from what the manual recommends, let alone encourage others to do the same. Me personally, as long as this thing is under warranty it's getting everything exactly "by the book", 100% Kubota supplies, all documented and receipts kept. In the event that I have a warranty issue, I'm not giving anyone any excuse to say I failed to walk Kubota's chalk.

canoetrpr said:
Plus my tractor is garaged and I've got a block heater that I try to use in the winter.
I'm relieved to hear it. That, and letting it warm up well as kubotafan suggested, are the best things you've got going for you. (I have a block heater too, although I'm sure yours will see more active duty :))

canoetrpr said:
Next time around I think I'll consider using a 5W-40 synthetic.
I think that would be a great call.

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #32  
BX2230_Lockport said:
The Premium UDT is full synthetic (the "S" in SUDT) ...
Actually, the S is not for synthetic (see picture)... the loud sucking sound on our wallets only completes the illusion that it is. What it is, is a highly-refined witches brew. I would suspect the PUDT is not synthetic either, but as I've recently learned, ALL bets are off with Kubota Canada...

Attachments

• sudt_1gal.jpg
    sudt_1gal.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 186
   / Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #33  
DiezNutz said:
Actually, the S is not for synthetic (see picture)...

It's full synthetic, isn't it? Not partial or just a higher quality base stock?...therefore the "Super" really means 'Synthetic' /;7)

I think, therefore I am!

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #34  
SUDT = multigrade UDT (multiweight), it's not a synthetic.
UDT = straight grade (single weight).

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #35  
Volfandt said:
SUDT = multigrade UDT (multiweight), it's not a synthetic.
UDT = straight grade (single weight).
You beat me to it.:cool:

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #37  
Just to beat a dead horse:
UDT=single grade
SUDT=multigrade and,
Premium UDT=...a third unique name directed to the Canadian consumer, which, my dealer in 2005, as I recall, stated his belief it was semi or full synth, leading me to locate this thread.

Unless someone from Kubota Canada can verify, we may never know. Logic would lend weight to temperature extremes justifying a product slightly elevated in dexterity from our southern counterparts, IMHO.

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #38  
BX2230_Lockport said:
The Premium UDT is full synthetic (the "S" in SUDT)

Can anyone substantiate this statement that the "S" in SUDT indicates that Kubota's "SUDT" is a full synthetic oil and not either a 'semi-synthetic' at best or a belief born of hyperbole and whole cloth pipe dreaming country gospel at worst? DietzNutz?

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #39  
Sorry, what was the question? I thought we already answered it - NOT synthetic. At all. :)

/ Surprises when picking up fluids / filters for 50 hr service #40  
The subject was that although the manuals mention UDT and SUDT, the original poster was in Canada and there we have a Kubota product called Premium UDT. I made an estimated guess by assuming the SUDT was probably (at least partially) synthetic. Apparently it is simply mulitgrade, and UDT is single grade. However, this still does not answer the original confusion of the composition of Premium UDT in Canada. When I bought a pail of it a couple years ago, as I recall, the dealer believed it was either partial or full synthetic. The poster in the link above links to a Petro-Canada product that is more than likely (again, an educated guess) the manufacturer and supplier of Kubota's Premium UDT. In the states, someone should try to determine what company is the official (or unofficial) supplier. I have emailed a Petro-Can link to seek further info and what, if any of theirs, is the product in the pail. Whether or not I get an answer is another story.