Snow Attachments Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade
<font color=blue>Do we get a valuable prize for doing the survey?
</font color=blue>

The enduring respect of fellow TBN members.

My genuine gratitude.

A hearty "Thanks, Bob Pence! Good effort!"

Okay, none of that is going to help pay for Christmas gifts for the kids this year. . . but it's going to have to do/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Rob

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #22  
Woods RB72, 72 inch (manual angle & tilt)
KubotaB2400 HSD
- length of driveway 300 feet, asphalt
no skid shoes
used for snow, dirt, landscaping, and adding downward force while pulling a 4500 lbs truck out of the woods.

Thanks to everybody who volunteered their information. Based on what I've read here and what sort of jobs I have lined up, I decided on a 6' King Kutter blade - just got through unloading it, hitched it up, and I'm ready for snow.

Rob

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #24  
<font color=blue>...Based on what I've read here ... I decided on a 6' King Kutter blade...</font color=blue>

Rob,

Did we read the same posts... I didn't see anyone using a KingKutter rear blade...? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

"You are what you eat, drink, think, say and do..."

John,

Boy, tough crowd. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif You're right, there's nothing about any King Kutter blades. I guess what I was referring to was the size blade v. size tractor, skid shoes v. no skid shoes, yada yada . . . I found a number of the 'name brand' blades like Woods, LP, Bush Hog that were all about the same - 14" tall 1/4"-thick moldboard, etc. - and I was finding prices ranging from about $425 to $475 around here. Then I called a place that carries KK and found it was only $349 for a 6-footer with offset and tilt, and the blade looks to be about the same strength as the other brands (weight is the same). It doesn't scream 'quality', but I think it will work fine for me.

http://www.kingkutter.com/RearBlades.asp

Rob

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #26  
I just recently sold a 7' rear blade for $239...

I placed an ad and the phone rang off the hook. First guy came, got out of his truck, walked over looked at it and asked if I could help him load it in the back of his truck...

The phone still rang a week or two later... /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #27  
- Hardee-Williams ABH-84, 7 foot
- Massey Ferguson 1250
- about a mile all together, gravel and dirt
- no skid shoes
- use blade for landscaping, road building and maintenance

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #28  
Kind of off topic, but related to snow removal.

I was thinking of using a snowmobile helmet for snowblowing this winter. I wear glasses, so my lens usually get fogged or snowed up pretty quickly; end up driving around looking through just one eye and wiping the lens with my finger.

I've never worn a snowmobile helmet before, but figure that it would:

(a) allow me to see alot better, since it would prevent the snow from getting on my glasses lens

(b) would be nice and warm; no snow blowing down my neck.

Only potential downside I see (without having tried any on yet) is that my peripheral vision may not be that great, or that it may be harder to look backwards (which wouldn't be much of a problem for me, since I have a front mount).

Any snowmobilers out there? Think this would work for snowblowing?

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #29  
I use ski-goggles. I too wear glasses and my goggles fit over them. Over that I have the hood to my parka which I can cinch up tight around my face. A balaclava would work as well. Cuffs cinched around gloves and boots, pockets zipped and you're all set /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #30  
How about a hat with goggles? Your neighbors won't look at you so funny.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif