Snow Attachments Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #31  
I've tried the hat and goggles; it doesn't work for me because I actually get too warm and that makes the problem with my glasses fogging even worse.

I do use a hood and a headband around my ears. I do stay bundled up quite well, all things considered. Have carhart overalls, insulated glove - quite comfortable.

It's just that the helmet idea popped into my brain and I figured that if it was warm and comfortable for snowmobilers racing around, it may work for me chugging along on my tractor, even if I end up looking like Darth Vadar (it's usually dark when I move the snow anyway).

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #32  
How about a cab for your tractor?

Come on we don't get that much snow around here! (I'm outside of Rochester along the lake, so I know what you mean!)

I will be using the goggles and hat this year as this is my first winter with a snow blower. My brother has a B2400 with front mount blower and a Curtis soft sided cab, states its the only way to go. I'll have to see this winter!

18-30445-von.gif

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #33  
7' blade of?? make
NH TC25D
1250 ft of gravel, 50 vertical ft rise
New NH with 26.3 hrs of grading XC ski trails + FEL time
If this season is an average snow year, the FEL will be my primary means of moving snow around by the January. Snowblower is on the wish/need list.

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #34  
Wheeldog:

1) 6' King Kutter
2) '61 Massey Ferguson 35 with Perkins diesel (she's a sweetheart)
3) Mostly concrete - 8 miles or so, kidding. I blade my driveway, and most of the driveways in my neighborhood. I'm real popular with the neighbors, go figure.
4) No skid shoes
5) Just did the first landscaping with this arrangement about a month back at my dad's place. Opened up his overgrown, soda cup littered front ditch - guess about 250'. It worked great. The ability to move the blade to different angles made it a breeze to do a good job.

Hope this helps.

Terry

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #35  
-Worksaver MCB-6 cut down to 5'
-Kubota BX-2200
- 150' Asphalt drive, also my neighbors and brothers, all alike
-No skid shoes, but casters...homemade by me (we'll see if they hold up or not) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
-Use my Woods box blade for moving dirt, as I doubt the worksaver would handle it!

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #36  
<font color=blue>Then I called a place that carries KK and found it was only $349 for a 6-footer with offset and tilt</font color=blue>

Rob,
Which KK blade did you get? The regular duty:
RearBlade.jpg

or the heavy duty:
RearBladeHD.jpg

I recently purchased one of the HD 7' blades and it has tilt, but I didn't think their regular models had tilt. I also didn't think that either model had offset capability. Have they got something new out that isn't shown on their website? If you got a 6' HD model for $349.00, you got one heck of a good deal.

Hoss

jdrsc.gif

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade
Hoss,

The one I bought is the regular duty. It's comparable to the other regular (some would say 'light') duty blades by Woods, LP, etc. - it has a 1/4" thick by 14" high moldboard, with a replaceable cutting edge, a number of different angle settings, tilt, and offset. I was a little skeptical about the looks of the spar that connects the top link attach point to the rest of the frame - I plan to use the blade mostly for snow plowing, so I'll keep my fingers crossed (and maybe learn to weld) in the mean time/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. One nice thing about the blade - the amount of offset is variable from 0"+ up to 12" or so. Most other blades seem to only allow 12" or no offset at all.

I saw the HD blades when I bought my blade, but they're a little heavy for my B2410 - don't want to have the tail wagging the dog!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

If you look again at King Kutter's site, I think you'll see that they list versions of the blade that offset and tilt - mine is the 'RB-OT-72'.

Rob

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #38  
RearBlade.jpg

Hoss,

This KK model comes in a few flavors...

RB-72- 6' -270 lbs., no offset/tilt, $229.
RB-OT-72 - 6' -274 lbs., with Offset/Tilt, $278.

This is considered KingKutter's "value" line or economy models...however this is much better than Worksaver or Wallace "economy line". This doesn't come close to KK HD line {HD-RB-72, 675 lbs. etc.}

I recently read another post on TBN where the poster said they purchased a KK for $180. and broke... I only questioned the unit because of price... Worksaver & Wallace cheaper units are almost always used as the "leader line"...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #39  
Rob,
That's what I get for not readin' the specs closer. None of the dealers in my area stock the type of blade you purchased. They only have the standard or the HD units. I didn't even realize they had the lighter unit with tilt and offset. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hoss

jdrsc.gif

/ Survey - plowing snow with a rear blade #40  
John,
Like I just told Rob, I didn't realize that KK had the standard duty unit with tilt and offset. I was only thinking that if his 6' blade was the HD model and he only paid 349.00 for it, I wanted to know where he bought it. My 7' HD was priced at 649.00 (I think) at Atwoods. I had already bought it and when we went to load it up, it was the only one they had left and had some dents and dings in the frame. Probably from bad unloading practices at Atwoods. The guy ended up taking me back inside and I got it for $550.00 since it was a little banged up. I thought that was a pretty good deal, considering the dents didn't affect the units performance, but $349.00 would have been one great price for a 6'. I'm glad no one around here stocked the tilt/offset light unit or I would probably have bought it. We don't get much snow around here, so it will only get limited use for that, but the weight of the HD unit makes it one diggin' sum-o-gum.

Hoss

jdrsc.gif