Svl95-2s

/ Svl95-2s #1  

TripleS

Bronze Member
Tractor
Svl95-2s
Ok guys I bought a svl95-2s a couple months ago not running the owner claimed it wouldn't regen then it just stopped starting all together he claims he sent out the email and had the def deleted but it still won't start. So I looked at it and it wasn't locked up sounded normal cranking oil and water looked good the unit has just over 1600hrs. So I bought it for a great deal I felt, I just got around to looking at it. I ordered a compression tool for the v3800 and discovered one cylinder had no compression I mean zero. So I pulled the head and discovered a melted piston. I believe that the injector was stuck and just pouring fuel in the cylinder. I guess the owner thought that the smoke was from the regen. Don't know how it wasn't fuel knocking. But my questions are should I just get a machine shop to over bore it and put all 4 over size pistons or should I just get the one liner replaced with a standard piston? Also are the aftermarket parts just as reliable or should I only use oem kubota parts?
20230608_210521.jpg

/ Svl95-2s #2  
You opened a can of worms and are now trying to decide how far you are willing to go to fix an abused machine?

Asking for my opinion won't really help you of you can't afford the repairs. If this is a hobby for you then have fun!

/ Svl95-2s #3  
Can you sell it back to him? What does the rest of the tractor look like?

/ Svl95-2s
Can you sell it back to him? What does the rest of the tractor look like?
Yes he has been trying to buy it back. I don't want to sell it.The tractor looks good.

/ Svl95-2s
You opened a can of worms and are now trying to decide how far you are willing to go to fix an abused machine?

Asking for my opinion won't really help you of you can't afford the repairs. If this is a hobby for you then have fun!
How do you know it's an abused machine? What do you mean I can't afford the repair? A whole new engine is less than 30k so I know it will cost less than 30k to repair.

/ Svl95-2s #6  

Ready, Fire, Aim...

/ Svl95-2s #7  
Ok guys I bought a svl95-2s a couple months ago not running the owner claimed it wouldn't regen then it just stopped starting all together he claims he sent out the email and had the def deleted but it still won't start. So I looked at it and it wasn't locked up sounded normal cranking oil and water looked good the unit has just over 1600hrs. So I bought it for a great deal I felt, I just got around to looking at it. I ordered a compression tool for the v3800 and discovered one cylinder had no compression I mean zero. So I pulled the head and discovered a melted piston. I believe that the injector was stuck and just pouring fuel in the cylinder. I guess the owner thought that the smoke was from the regen. Don't know how it wasn't fuel knocking. But my questions are should I just get a machine shop to over bore it and put all 4 over size pistons or should I just get the one liner replaced with a standard piston? Also are the aftermarket parts just as reliable or should I only use oem kubota parts?View attachment 804942
I'd work with a machine shop you trust, and see what they have to say. If it was mine I'd probably replace all the liners and pistons, but first have the block checked to ensure it's square and not cracked.

It's going to need enough that it's worth doing a complete overhaul IMO. Not sure where you're located, there's a guy in southern RI that's wonderful to deal with.

/ Svl95-2s
I'd work with a machine shop you trust, and see what they have to say. If it was mine I'd probably replace all the liners and pistons, but first have the block checked to ensure it's square and not cracked.

It's going to need enough that it's worth doing a complete overhaul IMO. Not sure where you're located, there's a guy in southern RI that's wonderful to deal with.
Thats what I'm going to do is take it to a machine shop and get their opinion. I also was wanting to know if anyone had experience with aftermarket parts or if I should only use kubota brand parts. I have used aftermarket parts years ago on a 3406 cat and had good results. But I have no experience with kubota. Thanks for your time and help

/ Svl95-2s #9  
I think Kubota sells entire kits to rebuild one of their motors. It should have all the parts needed.

We had a Kubota tractor engine rebuilt at the ranch and it was a pretty straight forward process.

/ Svl95-2s #10  
How do you know it's an abused machine? What do you mean I can't afford the repair? A whole new engine is less than 30k so I know it will cost less than 30k to repair.
LMAO. You bought a 1,600h DOA CTL with some shady DEF delete kit installed.

If it was cheap to fix the previous owner would be driving around in that SVL right now. If the machine isn't hot then he's probably financed a new machine with the down payment you gave him!

Have fun. Post your progress I will enjoy some entertainment.