Swapping tractor with my engine

/ Swapping tractor with my engine
"They" can say it didn't happen all they want, I can see the progress and I know its happening. LOL.

My latest gripe... I bought a new foil backed foam pad for the firewall and the foil was barely stuck to foam and half way fell off just taking the pad out of the box. I peeled the paper and stuck the foam to the firewall and used 3M spray adhesive to reattach the foil to the foam. Its stick on there now like stink on doo doo.

Lately, I've noticed a bit more than normal smoke from the crankcase breather tube. So, while I have everything clean and have easy access, I decided to pull the valve cover and check the valve lash. Spec for my engine is 0.008". All six of the valves were at 0.025". A few minutes later and all six were reset to 0.008". I'm anxious to get the tractor back together and refire to see how much of a difference it makes. IF all goes according to plans... it will be ready to fire up tomorrow.

Success! Today I put the fuel tank back in, changed the engine oil, filled the radiator, installed a new hydraulic filter and poured in 4.5 gallons of liquid gold (aka Lo-Vis Hy Guard). Then I poured some diesel in the tank, manually pumped the fuel filter bowl full of fuel with the little pump lever on the side of the fuel pump. I raised the rear of the tractor and put it on jackstands so I could test the HST (MFWD driveshaft not yet installed).

Now the moment of truth... turned the key and after a couple of cranks she sputtered a few times and then fired off. After a couple of seconds, it smoothed out and ran great. Looked it all over for leaks... there were none so I throttled it up to about 2000rpm. Forward and reverse in both high range and low range worked. Put it in 4WD and check the front output shaft, check. Moved the PTO lever to "both" and engaged the PTO lever, check... both PTO's are spinning. Checked the rockshaft operation, check. Tried the steering, check. All systems functioning and NO LEAKS!!!

At this point, I throttled it on up to 3200 (rated PTO speed for 540rpm) and let it run with the PTO engaged for about 10 minutes. My newly installed water temp gauge climbed up to 160° and leveled off. Checked the breather tube and there was no smoke... looks like the valve lash adjustment took care of the excessive blow-by. The engine sounded a heck of a lot happier too.

Now comes the tedious and detail oriented process of putting all the body panels back on.

/ Swapping tractor with my engine #14  
nice good job, its always nice when you take it all apart and put it back together with no leaks.

Where can i find the valve lash adjustment on my 755 id like to check mine out.

nice good job, its always nice when you take it all apart and put it back together with no leaks.

Where can i find the valve lash adjustment on my 755 id like to check mine out.

The 755 uses the 3TNA72 doesn't it? If so it's the same... 0.008"

While overall, I like this tractor, there are some silly desgin choices that were made. You should not have to remove the fuel tank in order to gain access to back of the dash panel to change a bulb.

So close I can taste it! I went to the dealer to pick up what should have been my last order of misc. little items for this project so I could get them installed tonight. But, there was snafu with my order... the dealer's inventory showed that they had one of the parts in stock, so they didn't order that part. Turns out there was an inventory error and they did not have it. They had to order it today and it will won't be in until later this week. In my opinion, they should have placed the order as "machine down" since the error was on their part. They didn't offer to do so and I didn't press the issue.

I got everything else installed... the only thing that remains is a new rockshaft quadrant. It was dark by the time I got done tonight, but I plan to pull it out and take some pictures of it tomorrow after work. I need a photo record for what it looks like now and I need to put it to work immediately. We all know what that means... it will never again look as good as it does right now. Besides, I have already been chastized in thread for not posting any pictures... LOL

/ Swapping tractor with my engine #17  
I got everything else installed... the only thing that remains is a new
rockshaft quadrant.

OK, I will bite. What is a "rockshaft quadrant"?

Glad you got it running.

That's what JD calls the plastic do-hickey that goes around the rockshaft lever and is bolted to the fender. It has the stop numbers (1, 2, 3... etc.) and has the cam lock lever stop. Dumb name in my opinion, but that's what they call it.

A little backstory...

Two years ago, I purchased this rather pathetic looking partial 955 that also came with a partial 855 parts tractor.

P0004694.jpg P0004697sm.JPG P0004698sm.JPG

I was able to make a runner out of the 955 and began to use it in it's disgraceful condition while I set about locating and acquiring the pieces needed to put this 955 back together properly. Along the course of the last to years I scoured craigslist, ebay, etc. and slowly accumulated the all the parts. One of the things I bought was a 70A loader that came with another 955 that was pretty much stripped from the operator's station forward. I started going through this second 955 fixing and replacing things, painting body panels, etc. until I reached the point where I needed the engine out of the runner I'd put together. That was about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

So, I pulled the runner along side the the other frame and began tearing it down to pull it's engine. The enging was cleaned up while it was out and transferred over the other frame and I began reassmebling things. Here are the results:

2012-09-18_17-55-58_589.jpg 2012-09-18_17-56-50_5.jpg 2012-09-18_17-57-52_665.jpg 2012-09-18_17-58-17_111.jpg 2012-09-18_17-58-46_105.jpg 2012-09-18_17-59-39_823.jpg

And here's a pic of it's first office task... towing the remains of the "old" tractor out of the shop to make some room.

2012-09-18_18-43-01_577.jpg

For those of you that wanted pictures... I hope this satisfies your desires.

/ Swapping tractor with my engine #20  
Re: A little backstory...

Very nice. Thanks for the pictures. But why does the decal say 430?