synthetic oil filter

/ synthetic oil filter #21  
No, actually, I do not see any advantage in engine lube filters that can filter smaller particles. If you have a working air cleaner system, there are no smaller particles to remove. Air cleaner elements have a pore size distribution ranging from 1 micron to an upper range of 15 micron. Engine lube filters made of cellulose generally range in pore size of 40 - 60 micron. Particles of that size circulating in your lube oil have no effect on engine rotating and sliding components. To have a number of particles that size to cause issues means there is no air cleaner working in the system. The result of that will be high cylinder and ring wear. Why would it matter to remove those generated wear particles when the damage has been done. Fix the air cleaner. Don't get a more efficient lube filter. The company I work for has microglass lube filters. They are an added cost with no benefit. Either stay with cellulose or go to filters that combine a full flow with a bypass. The only advantage a synthetic full flow filter has is that it allows higher filtered oil flow during cold startup. Cold can mean oil that is at 100F even. Otherwise, the bypass valve in the engine lube filter circuit opens to provide an alternate flow path for lube flow because the cool oil viscosity is too high to have sufficient flow and resulting oil pressure. Other than that, synthetic full flow media filters are a waste as you pay a lot more and get not much in return.

I agree with you about the filters as used with engines. But consider this, in dealing with these synthetic filters in hydraulic systems. Our machines the Power-Trac, and other large machinery us motor oil as the hydraulic fluid, synthetic or whatever. and as such, should be kept as clean as possible. Some of us have gone to great length to filter, and we do it sometimes better than the manufactures, using bypass filters , in-line high pressure filters, and external filter carts.

The question might be, is a synthetic filter, with the same micron rating, any better, about equal or not as good? , and for the money , is it worth it.

/ synthetic oil filter #22  
As usual well said Gary (fieldserviceengineer). I couldn't agree more on the over selling of some of the synthetic media filters on the market. Bypass filtration is far more effective in the overall life of a piece of equipment. I also agree that the "high flow" filters on the market do more damage than good. They may be fine if your using it in a race engine and need maximum air flow and plan on tearing your engine down after every couple of runs but in the real world they do nothing more than allow in more contamination. I can often tell if a customer is using a gauze type filter simply by looking at their UOA results. They alway's have a increase in silicon when compared to engines using standard filters.

Yup, problem is bypass filtration is going to cost more then most changes. Plus having lower wears rates does not coralate to engine life.

/ synthetic oil filter #23  
No, actually, I do not see any advantage in engine lube filters that can filter smaller particles. If you have a working air cleaner system, there are no smaller particles to remove. Air cleaner elements have a pore size distribution ranging from 1 micron to an upper range of 15 micron. Engine lube filters made of cellulose generally range in pore size of 40 - 60 micron. Particles of that size circulating in your lube oil have no effect on engine rotating and sliding components. To have a number of particles that size to cause issues means there is no air cleaner working in the system. The result of that will be high cylinder and ring wear. Why would it matter to remove those generated wear particles when the damage has been done. Fix the air cleaner. Don't get a more efficient lube filter. The company I work for has microglass lube filters. They are an added cost with no benefit. Either stay with cellulose or go to filters that combine a full flow with a bypass. The only advantage a synthetic full flow filter has is that it allows higher filtered oil flow during cold startup. Cold can mean oil that is at 100F even. Otherwise, the bypass valve in the engine lube filter circuit opens to provide an alternate flow path for lube flow because the cool oil viscosity is too high to have sufficient flow and resulting oil pressure. Other than that, synthetic full flow media filters are a waste as you pay a lot more and get not much in return.

#1 Bypass oil sys in most cases are a waste of funds much more then FFF.

#2 Is syntheitc FF filter have a advantage if you drive alot. If not, I agree but I would not throw all this in one group..

/ synthetic oil filter #24  
Absolutely no difference. Yes, there is such a thing as an oil filter using a synthetic media to filter the oil vs. a paper element, but other than that, an oil filter is an oil filter.

/ synthetic oil filter #25  
The first mechanic you spoke to is correct. There are in fact oil filters made out of a synthetic media, which are more effective in removing contaminents out of the oil, and there are the less efficient paper-element filters that let a lot of krap through. The fact is that both type can be used for either synthetic or petroleum-based oils.

/ synthetic oil filter #26  
JJ,

Synthetic media oil filters make very good sense for transmissions and hydraulic systems. In those applications, the target contaminants are metal wear particles and ingested dust. In engine oil filters, capturing those particles is too little, too late. That is what an efficeint air cleaner system does. However, for those of you who like the systhetic media lube filters, I thank you and hope you continue to buy them. Companies like the one I work for make a lot more profit margin from synthetic lube filters than we do for paper media types. Let me remind you that I am an engineer and not a marketing or sales type. Of paramount importance to me is that you get reliable answers with "no spin".

To SW03, your comment about bypass filtration only shows how little you know about that process and how filters accomplish cleaning the fluids in this more effective manner.

/ synthetic oil filter #27  
ok not to get to far off topic. I am a big believer in magnetic drain plugs and even the oil filter magnets. What do you guys think about the magnets?

/ synthetic oil filter #28  
ok not to get to far off topic. I am a big believer in magnetic drain plugs and even the oil filter magnets. What do you guys think about the magnets?

They work very well for ferrous metal, but do nothing for aluminum or crud, rubber, brass, etc.

Some of the guys even put them on the hydraulic or oil filters. I suppose you could put them around hydraulic hose, etc.

/ synthetic oil filter #29  
To SW03, your comment about bypass filtration only shows how little you know about that process and how filters accomplish cleaning the fluids in this more effective manner.

Okay bud, prove it?????????/ Too bad for (1) example is 24v cummins or a Powerchoke per Amsoil. The Uoa you NEED to do along with filter is more then a complete oil change.

This shows how little a service eng knows about anything.:eek:

/ synthetic oil filter #30  
Synthetic media oil filters make very good sense for transmissions and hydraulic systems. In those applications, the target contaminants are metal wear particles and ingested dust. In engine oil filters, capturing those particles is too little, too late. That is what an efficeint air cleaner system does. However, for those of you who like the systhetic media lube filters, I thank you and hope you continue to buy them. Companies like the one I work for make a lot more profit margin from synthetic lube filters than we do for paper media types. Let me remind you that I am an engineer and not a marketing or sales type. Of paramount importance to me is that you get reliable answers with "no spin".

And any proof is what? Show me the raw data since so far, BONG..zero