T-posts or treated 4x4's??

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #1  

Wacky

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 GC2610
Which would be better for a permanent fence around a garden t-posts or treated 4x4's. They will be 10' in length. Placed in a cow pasture that is hard clay. Just wondering which would be more durable over time. Concrete the 4X4's or not, in the clay? Thanks to all in advance.

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #2  
Usually comes down to looks, and what you want to put on the posts. Hard to nail up boards on T-posts ;)

But don't concrete the posts in (they rot faster and are harder to replace).

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #3  
Which would be better for a permanent fence around a garden t-posts or treated 4x4's. They will be 10' in length. Placed in a cow pasture that is hard clay. Just wondering which would be more durable over time. Concrete the 4X4's or not, in the clay? Thanks to all in advance.

I think ence building is very localized. What works here is not always advisable there.

Previous reply made a good point about what you will put on the posts. Will you use 4-5 strand barb wire, net wire, boards, etc?

If you go to Stay Tuff Fence Mfg Inc. - High Tensile Woven Wire Fence and Fence Installation Tools they have a really good brochure on fence building you might find useful. Check with some fencing supplies dealers in your area and see what most people, especially professional installers are buying and using.

Personally I really like the staytuff product. Thre is also a 'staytite' brand that claims to be good for at least 50 years if properly installed.

If you don't have access to a good posthole digger (either a strong kid or a mechanical one) consider renting or hiring.

Good luck and post us some pics before, during and after. :D

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #4  
For me the biggest downside to building pretty much anything using PT lumber is warpage. Playset made using a 4x6 PT main beam, sags badly due to warpage-looks terrible. Fence using 4x4 post, in a few years looks like a snake. Looked great for a while. Impossible to predict which way it is going to warp, but it is going to warp. My neighbor spent a little more money and installed his fence using chain link fence post; still looks straight, although the 1x6 boards are popping loose.

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's??
I think ence building is very localized. What works here is not always advisable there.

Previous reply made a good point about what you will put on the posts. Will you use 4-5 strand barb wire, net wire, boards, etc?

If you go to Stay Tuff Fence Mfg Inc. - High Tensile Woven Wire Fence and Fence Installation Tools they have a really good brochure on fence building you might find useful. Check with some fencing supplies dealers in your area and see what most people, especially professional installers are buying and using.

Personally I really like the staytuff product. Thre is also a 'staytite' brand that claims to be good for at least 50 years if properly installed.

If you don't have access to a good posthole digger (either a strong kid or a mechanical one) consider renting or hiring.

Good luck and post us some pics before, during and after. :D

Good read on their website. I will post pics when I decide what to do.

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's??
For me the biggest downside to building pretty much anything using PT lumber is warpage. Playset made using a 4x6 PT main beam, sags badly due to warpage-looks terrible. Fence using 4x4 post, in a few years looks like a snake. Looked great for a while. Impossible to predict which way it is going to warp, but it is going to warp. My neighbor spent a little more money and installed his fence using chain link fence post; still looks straight, although the 1x6 boards are popping loose.

Yes, good points. How did he fasten the boards?

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #7  
I would use T-Post in the "line" with good corners set in. Metal last allot longer than wood.

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #9  
If you like the look of square posts and boards, what about using man made plastic posts? They won't rot nor warp like PT wood and the bugs won't eat them either.

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #10  
We also use round wood posts at the corners and T posts in between. If it's a long run every 4th post is wood with 3 metal T bar posts in between. You can't beat T bar posts for longevity and ease of installation (or removal for that matter).

To attach wood to a T post I sister a wood vertical piece beside the T post and nail through the holes in the T post into the vertical wood piece. Then, attach the horizontal wood bits to the vertical wood bits.

For wire, we use the store bought insulators or attchers made for T posts.

If you are using the T posts by livestock I suggest putting a topper on them in case an animal rears up and comes down on one. They sell these too, they are very cheap.

Let us know what you do.