T-posts or treated 4x4's??

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's??
We also use round wood posts at the corners and T posts in between. If it's a long run every 4th post is wood with 3 metal T bar posts in between. You can't beat T bar posts for longevity and ease of installation (or removal for that matter).

To attach wood to a T post I sister a wood vertical piece beside the T post and nail through the holes in the T post into the vertical wood piece. Then, attach the horizontal wood bits to the vertical wood bits.

For wire, we use the store bought insulators or attchers made for T posts.

If you are using the T posts by livestock I suggest putting a topper on them in case an animal rears up and comes down on one. They sell these too, they are very cheap.

Let us know what you do.

But 8' sticking out of the ground the wood post will be stouter in the long-run wouldn't it? Or would the added weight of the post move more and loosen up over time?

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #12  
Sorry, I may be a bit confused. You are planning on using 10' posts and putting them 2' in the ground with 8' sticking out? That will be too wobbly for sure.

I thought you would put them 4' into the ground, just an assumption I made.

So I understand, you want how high of a fence?

I have been told that 8' high is plenty high to keep deer out of the garden around here. So that is what the contractor and I agreed to do. You don't think it is high enough?:confused:

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #14  
I wouldn't think the posts would be deep enough. 12' post with 8' out of the ground. And it will keep most deer out. :D

But get something in writing from the contractor that a 10' post 2' in the ground will work for xx number of years (whatever you are satisfied with).

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #15  
I was always taught that:

1) A treated wood post every ten feet is the best for wire.

2) Next best is a treated wood post every twenty feet with a T-post in between.

3) A wood post every thirty feet with two T-posts in between.

I do the treated wood post every twenty feet and one T-post in between. That has always worked very well for me.

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #16  
Sorry, I may be a bit confused. You are planning on using 10' posts and putting them 2' in the ground with 8' sticking out? That will be too wobbly for sure.

I thought you would put them 4' into the ground, just an assumption I made.

So I understand, you want how high of a fence?

Absolute minimun enbedment is 10% of the length of the post/pole + 2 ft.
Deeper is better.

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #17  
8' is plenty high for deer, that is what I have. I'm with two_bit_score on using round post. Don't forget the gate(s). I got a 8' wide cattle gate and installed it on end vertically for the walk through gate and used two of them swinging outward for the tractor gate. I attached 4' (wide) of 8' (tall) deer fence on each gate. I attached a notched round post (with lag bolts) across the top of each gate post to keep the post from being pulled apart by the tension of the deer fence wire. 10 years now with no deer or gate problems.

/ T-posts or treated 4x4's?? #18  
Yes, good points. How did he fasten the boards?
Neighbor carriage bolted 2x4 runners to post, then hot dipped galvanized 6 or 8 penny nails. I made the mistake of using some electro-galvanized nails on some of my boards; they last a few years, then rust out. I have used nails and screws in my fence, and was amazed that after a few years, many of them work loose. Don't understand how exterior screws didn't last forever.

Absolute minimun enbedment is 10% of the length of the post/pole + 2 ft.
Deeper is better.
Makes sense.:thumbsup: 12ft I will go.

8' is plenty high for deer, that is what I have. I'm with two_bit_score on using round post. Don't forget the gate(s). I got a 8' wide cattle gate and installed it on end vertically for the walk through gate and used two of them swinging outward for the tractor gate. I attached 4' (wide) of 8' (tall) deer fence on each gate. I attached a notched round post (with lag bolts) across the top of each gate post to keep the post from being pulled apart by the tension of the deer fence wire. 10 years now with no deer or gate problems.

You don't happen to have any pics do you? I was thinking of getting 6x6 posts or creosote treated railroad ties for the gate posts.