Tach/Electrical Issue

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #91  
I do not understand why these manufacturers pack so much crap under a dashboard, and then makes them so hard to access

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #92  
Has your key switch ever been frozen? That was a bit of a problem when the tractors first came out. It damaged the switch. There was also some issues with the early dashs not working correctly. Tachs working intermittently fuel gauges not reading correctly.

Not any more. Cheap fix is to take a plastic milk bottle cap and it fits over the switch perfectly.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #93  
Im back having problems with my CT450 cab. No glow plug activity, no dash activity, no head lights...New battery, new cables, main ground on frame cleaned up. I replaced all of the relays with no luck. I need to do a hard trouble shoot as now that its cold I need the glow plugs to work.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #94  
Shot in the dark: replace the ignition?
Im back having problems with my CT450 cab. No glow plug activity, no dash activity, no head lights...New battery, new cables, main ground on frame cleaned up. I replaced all of the relays with no luck. I need to do a hard trouble shoot as now that its cold I need the glow plugs to work.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #95  
I had the same problem with my CT445 last year. It turned out to be one of the wires in a relay plug had slide down partially so it wasn稚 making contact. I pushed it back in place and haven稚 had any trouble with it since. It was one of the firewall relays.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #96  
Might check the 60 amp fuse (6694397). Wish I could give you location but cannot. My manual is for cT235 and does not cover the CT450. The on line parts manual does show your tractor to use this fuse. It is called a slow blow fuse in the CT235 manual.

Attachments

• 2020-01-01-075935.jpg
    2020-01-01-075935.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 220
   / Tach/Electrical Issue #97  
Turn key to left and hold for manual glow plug activation. If glow plug light comes on, voltage to glow plugs then 60 amp fuse is working and problem is most likely at ignition switch. If glow plugs still not operating with key to left check 60 amp fuse and circuit to the B post of ignition. Easy test of 60 amp fuse with volt meter: Read volts at the battery post to establish base line volt reading for next tests. Read voltage at Battery + connection at starter, then without moving ground connection read volts at + post of alternator. If correct volts at starter but not at alternator then check the main (60 amp) fuse in the harness. Battery voltage to alternator pass through the main fuse.
If fuse test is OK then test volts at B post of ignition. If correct volts there then ignition switch is not contacting.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #98  
I had the same problem with my CT445 last year. It turned out to be one of the wires in a relay plug had slide down partially so it wasn稚 making contact. I pushed it back in place and haven稚 had any trouble with it since. It was one of the firewall relays.

I believe this is the problem, the pins are seated the whole way but look corroded or dirty, poor contact. Any idea how they come out of the holder or pin connector? i'm not sure how to clean them, id rather maybe just cut them off and redue the plug... My 60 amp fuses are good, 2 of them by the starter.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #99  
I would spray the whole connector and pins with electrical contact cleaner, replug it and see if it changes your conditiones.

If it does fix your issue remove and spray with dielectric grease and reconnect.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #100  

In the fuse block there is a small low amp fuse that controls a circuit that controls everything. I posted about it a ways back when my tractor went dead after jumping in the seat. It was very hard to see that it was bad. I had to use my meter.

BTW There are new blade fuses out there now that if the fuse blows it lights up. I use them as I have issues.

If I can find my post I will edit here.

Edit - found it - #7 (5a) was blown (could not tell unless looked at closely). this one is labeled "Operational Control Unit / Switched power relay.