Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #12  
That is an overly-simplistic view that is all too common. See the above posts about wind.

Yes, Topkick, it will pull it, but there are much better combinations to use and much safer.......

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #13  
I certianly like my 3/4 ton diesel and it's abilities over any SUV. And I have been out in the wind with my 5th wheel behind it.

It does not take a crew cab dually diesel to tow though.

For decades 1/2 tons with lower power engines, 3spd trannies have towed trailers. Did they, or do the newer models tow as nice as the 3/4, 1, and 1-1/4 ton diesels do? No...

But if you stay in the slow lane, take it easy, don't try to tow at 75mph, then most 1/2 tons will do ok(if you stay in their ratings). As others have noted, mileage will be poor, and power limited, down shifting ect. But if you do not need a 1 ton dually diesel, then why have one for occasional towing? It is certianly important to understand the vehicles limitations before buyin or towing.

Heaven forbid, when I was growin up we had a travel trailer only a little smaller that what the OP mentions. We towed with a '72 Plymouth Fury III, 4 door, 360ci 3spd auto. Had a aftermarket hitch, with weight distribution. It worked fine, and was comfortable for growing family. Mom drove it all the time, and I learned to drive in that car in the late 70's.

Between us and the earlier owner, that car /trailer traveled N Calif just fine, in many wether conditions. And, we went over Donner Summit in the slow lane. And included Calif's pitiful roads.

I prefer my heavy duty truck. But at the same time, towing within the limitations of a vehicle should be ok too. Knowing those limitations, and not driving 75mph in to the wind makes a big difference. Stay in the slow lane and driving reasonable.

That is an overly-simplistic view that is all too common. See the above posts about wind.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #14  
I pulled a 30' TT (BP) with 2 different 350 powered regular cab shortbed Chevy's and they did fine...Got to get on them on steep hills, but never anything I gave a second thought to...A diesel dually would have been better, but couldn't justify that.

I would think a newer Yukon/Tahoe would do just fine. Then have more horsepower, tow/haul and generally have 6 speeds. A WD hitch with sway control is manditory no matter what you do.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #15  
I have a 1999 Silverado 1500 ECSB 4x4 w/ 5.3/4L60E and 3.73 gears. I pull our Jayco 32' w/ 2 slides. It is 7984 from the factory, probably close to 9500 loaded. Most of the time we have firewood and 35 gallons of water in the bed along with 5 people in the cab. We pull it locally most of the time, but did take it down to southern Kentucky almost to Tennessee once. Pull with a standard WD hitch. I run it in drive and it runs 2nd gear a lot, I'll leave it at that power wise. Only one time have I ever really had problems and that was going down I-71 toward Cincinnati in a thunderstorm with strong cross winds. That moved that truck and camper around a lot.

Now with that said, I also have a 2008 Suburban. 4x4 w/ 5.3/4L60E and 3.73 gears. It has more HP and torque than the Silverado, but I won't even hook onto our camper with it. I do pull our 18' utility trailer and our 18' stock trailer with it though. Usually no animals in the stock trailer usually a static load unless it is our goats. I have pulled Mom's '93 camper 30' - no slides with the Suburban a couple of times. I feel it pulls it just as well as what the Silverado does power wise, but I have to run the WD system cranked really tight where as with the truck I leave it almost loose - now that I have the 3/4 ton springs on the rear of the truck, I don't use it at all on this camper. Though with the coil springs on the back of the 'burb, I think I get a bit more sway. That could also be attributed to the passenger rated tires vs. LT tires. Suburban has P275/55R20s and the truck has LT265/75R16s Load Range D on it.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer.
Thanks for the info guys. I've owned two 5th wheel campers and 1 31ft TT. I pulled the TT with a 3/4 ton deisel and the 1st 5th wheel. The second 5th wheel was much heavier and stepped up to a Medium Duty GMC. I just want a weekend TT and the wife loves a truck chasis SUV. I worked at Arlington Assembly where the Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, and Escalades are built. I love the room and ride of these. Here's the TT I'm looking at pulling with the Tahoe/Yukon. 2012 Crossroads Sunset Trail St25rb, Piqua OH - 101508560 - RVTraderonline.com

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #17  
Perhaps you should take it for a test drive on the highway? With that much wind area you will want an anti-sway system for sure.

I would get stiffer tires on the rear axle of your Tahoe as well, because that trailer will have enough wind load to push your truck around. This will not do anything good for the ride quality but there is a noticeable difference between P / LT tires, and like load range E truck tires, in terms of how the vehicle will handle lateral forces, such as wind and curved highway on/off-ramps.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #18  
I think you'll be happy with your purchase. Even with a WD hitch I was really worried about the sway control, I was actually thinking of putting two on. I found no need for it as the WD hitch has some effect to minimize the swaying also. 25' is not really that large anyway. You might want to consider the suburban instead just because the tahoe has almost no room behing the third row seats for storage if needed.

:drink:

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #19  
Get a longer wheel base and you will be fine. Yukon XL or similar. Just watch the gearing. GM likes weak gears like 3.15 & 3.42 to make the mpg look good but it does you no favors.

Chris

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #20  
:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5EiRigtc94]The Long, Long Trailer 1953 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]