Talk me in/out of a Kubota ZD-1211 w/ 72” deck

/ Talk me in/out of a Kubota ZD-1211 w/ 72” deck #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Have a deal on selling the ZD-331 72” deck.
ZD-1211-72” deck is going to be the replacement.

Seems like the right price, 0% for 60 months no brainer, and the Kubota quality is still there.
Dealers everywhere. I have an excellent Kubota selling/servicing dealer.

Just still a bit skidderish on the drop off in power (31 to 25).

Any thoughts before I sign the order and the faux 0% financing?

Last edited:
   / Talk me in/out of a Kubota ZD-1211 w/ 72” deck #2  
From what I read, as long as you aren't cutting overly tall and thick grass, the 1211 will move along fine with the 72" deck. I imagine if you then throw hills on top of all that, you'd probably wish you had the 331.

I like shiny new equipment, so hard for me to say keep the old one lol

/ Talk me in/out of a Kubota ZD-1211 w/ 72” deck
From what I read, as long as you aren't cutting overly tall and thick grass, the 1211 will move along fine with the 72" deck. I imagine if you then throw hills on top of all that, you'd probably wish you had the 331.
That may happen and it has me concerned. The bigger 1600 would be better, but now we‘re in a DPF and $5,000 more dollars…. :(

I like shiny new equipment, so hard for me to say keep the old one lol

I like used equipment, but the 331 is really showing its age.

/ Talk me in/out of a Kubota ZD-1211 w/ 72” deck #4  
It's a shame that the tier 4 regs screwed this segment up so bad. That 30ish HP point was such a sweet spot for diesel mowers like the ZD and F series... not too mention small L size tractors.

However, I take comfort knowing our government overlords have made the right decision for humanity as a whole. If I was polluting more with a 30hp mower vs a 25HP mower then it would certainly spell doom for our environment. I sleep easy at night knowing that the diesel particulate filters are doing thier jobs. :) Go ahead, buy a ZD1611 so you sleep better at night too LOL

It's a shame that the tier 4 regs screwed this segment up so bad. That 30ish HP point was such a sweet spot for diesel mowers like the ZD and F series... not too mention small L size tractors.

However, I take comfort knowing our government overlords have made the right decision for humanity as a whole. If I was polluting more with a 30hp mower vs a 25HP mower then it would certainly spell doom for our environment. I sleep easy at night knowing that the diesel particulate filters are doing thier jobs. :) Go ahead, buy a ZD1611 so you sleep better at night too LOL
No thanks! I was thinking I needed a swift kick in the parts for a new 1211. A new 1600 would require 10 swift kicks in the pants.

Even after raising prices, I can’t keep up with the “transitory inflation”.

I will have to stay on top of the 1211 blades. Sharpness = HP in tall grass.

/ Talk me in/out of a Kubota ZD-1211 w/ 72” deck #6  
There is a ZD331 60" with 1500hrs and 2 year old rear Tweels for $6,800... I'm tempted to add it to my collection and see if I like it better than the 1211 or maybe just swap tires, clean it up a little more, and resell it. I think I could get my money back relatively easy.

One big reason I went woth a 1211 is the better seat, it is very nice.

There is a ZD331 60" with 1500hrs and 2 year old rear Tweels for $6,800... I'm tempted to add it to my collection and see if I like it better than the 1211 or maybe just swap tires, clean it up a little more, and resell it. I think I could get my money back relatively easy.

One big reason I went woth a 1211 is the better seat, it is very nice.

I don’t see ZD331’s bringing the money I thought they would.
Did “ok” selling mine, but not what I thought I‘d get, especially with lawn cutting on the doorstep of exploding in MY area

2750 hours.
I’m looking at it this way: We mow $45,000/year in grass. New mower is going to cost me about $3500/year.
The old Z is paid off of course, but parts & labor is getting to be an issue.
I paid $5,000 for it 6 years ago. I’m probably selling it for $4,500.
I mowed $250,000 worth of grass with it, so maybe it’s time to let my “$500” investment go and start over while she’s still got value? :)

/ Talk me in/out of a Kubota ZD-1211 w/ 72” deck #10  
I'm sure most here on TBN know my opinion of the ZD1211 72" mower, so I'll spare y'all.
I will mention that the 72" side discharge ACS decks use a larger blade mounting hole, and at least 2 years ago there were no aftermarket blades available. A TBN user posted an engineer drawing of how to mill the mounting bushing to accommodate the older blades. I wish I could remember who posted the mod to give them credit. I wanted to stay with Gator mulching blades, and the milled bushings worked out great.