Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #151  
@Hay Dude, what do you think of trying to use 48” forks with thumb for moving logs? I bought the 48’s because that’s my standard pallet depth, and also the longer forks work better for setting and retrieving pallets from a pickup truck bed. But I anticipate I’ll want some shorter forks for picking logs from piles, with the thumb, as the long ones can probably be a bit more cumbersome at that task.

That‘s what I run and they are fine for logs. I think stubby forks are generally better for plunging into log piles, but the 48” forks have too many additional uses I need too much.
I don’t know what your loader can handle. If your loader is smaller, 36” might be better. I think you can choose what forks you match with your frame. They usually have 3,4,5 foot there.

Last edited:
   / Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #152  
Deere 320R loader on a 3033R tractor. I think lift is 2125 lb. at the JDQA pivots, or 1650 lb. 24 inches off the pivots. Extending that math, it's going to be only 1200 lb. lift out at the end of 48" forks, but I suspect my curl force is a bit higher than that, if it's really needed to get a log stabbed up off the ground and rolling back on the forks.

The backstop, forks, and thumb are each 200 lb., so take 600 lb. off that "at the pivots" number, and some fraction of that off the 24" and 48" numbers. I won't be able to lift every log I bring home, but I will be able to lift most of them, and drag the rest!

I use choker chains or tongs on bucket hooks to fetch logs out of my solid-side trailer, lifting them over the side. Short forks with a thumb might make that easier... or I might end up stabbing thru my trailer floor and crushing the side rails with the thumb. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_1678.JPG IMG_1716.JPG

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #153  
I have log lifting tongs like those somewhere. Haven’t used them in about 20 years.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #154  
I have log lifting tongs like those somewhere. Haven’t used them in about 20 years.
Come back in 20 years. Now that I have "the thumb", I may be able to say that, too! :D

Actually, the tongs are pretty handy, if you have a bunch of logs in the same range of diameters. I have one pair that's good from about 6" up to maybe 18", and another pair that overlaps them, maybe 12" up to 30". Switching tongs is a PITA, especially handling the big'uns without pinching a finger, but you can get pretty damn good at dangling them just right and picking and dropping logs without ever leaving the seat of the tractor.

I'm just a homeowner, not running any professional logging operation. But it's a very big and very old home, and we use a heck of a lot of wood.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #155  
I have a serious need for a grapple but haven't gotten one yet. I just added a second 2 spool valve to my tractor for rear remotes but may use one of those to control a grapple. We just bought our new place this past summer and it was timbered right before we purchased it. Apparently, the logging company and former owners got into a massive disagreement part ways through the project and the owners forced them out. So now, I have probably over 150 trees laying on the ground and at least that many tree tops. So, I have quite a mess to clean up!

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #156  
I have a serious need for a grapple but haven't gotten one yet. I just added a second 2 spool valve to my tractor for rear remotes but may use one of those to control a grapple. We just bought our new place this past summer and it was timbered right before we purchased it. Apparently, the logging company and former owners got into a massive disagreement part ways through the project and the owners forced them out. So now, I have probably over 150 trees laying on the ground and at least that many tree tops. So, I have quite a mess to clean up!
That’s what I’m cleaning up. Massive tree fall & debris.
I have trucked 35 loads of “stubby” logs and 10 loads of long logs off the property and we’re about 1/2 done.
The brush is in massive piles, but none of it has been chipped or burned.

1707828476168.jpeg

This is the damage that 110MPH straight line winds do to a property. There were over 100 80’ tall trees here on this 20 acre patch and only about 5 remain, and they are heavily damaged.

1707828570044.jpeg

There’s another 100 acres of property damage that will just be left for nature to deal with.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #157  
The two saws I picked up this weekend - I had been looking for a Echo 4910 for a bit because Echo discontinued them. They are basically the same exact saw as the pro series 501p with minor differences. The local Echo dealer had a used one that looked to have never been used and sold it to me for 1/2 price. I brought it home and did a muff mod on it, a base gasket delete, and tuned it. It not only sounds wicked but it'll cut right with my other 50cc pro saws.

The Stihl 026 I bought for hardly nothing. It needs a crank seal but that's no biggie. I modded the muffler on it too and picked up loads of power. I haven't gotten around to checking the squish on it yet but will probably do a base delete on it as well. I did buy a new 16" lite 04 bar for it and a new sprocket...

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #158  
That’s what I’m cleaning up. Massive tree fall & debris.
I have trucked 35 loads of “stubby” logs and 10 loads of long logs off the property and we’re about 1/2 done.
The brush is in massive piles, but none of it has been chipped or burned.
Oh man, sounds like we're in the same exact boat! The tree tops I have to deal with are out of control. I have no idea how to even manage them. I don't have a clearing to burn anything unless I drag them to my back yard and the girlfriend wouldn't be too happy about that...

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #159  
I’d round up a dozen local Amishmen and tell them to bring chainsaws and meet at your property and start bucking. They’ll work for $20+/hour all you want.

The guys that helped me brought their own Stihl 362’s and went to town while I ran the excavator and cleaned up what they cut/bucked.

Worked out great so far.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #160  
I’d round up a dozen local Amishmen and tell them to bring chainsaws and meet at your property and start bucking. They’ll work for $20+/hour all you want.

The guys that helped me brought their own Stihl 362’s and went to town while I ran the excavator and cleaned up what they cut/bucked.

Worked out great so far.
I have considered talking to some of the local logging companies and see what they will offer me because I have a ton of white and red oak laying on the ground - some that are 30" plus trees. The contract was for $94K worth of timer and I was told they left most of it laying after the argument...

But yeah, I am in the heart of Amish country, they drive right past my house every day in their wagons lol. They do work cheap. They just did a ton of work on my sister's new place and came in over 2/3 cheaper than any other bidders and way over-built, the quality was top notch!