Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #91  
Last time I checked, Stihl was being sold at box stores, not that it matters because it really don't.
What Box stores are you talking about?

I've seen Stihl at Atwoods and Northern Tool. I wouldn't consider those to be Box Stores. The advantage to the Stihl customer is that they are open later hours and more than just M-F like some other dealerships.

We also have a lumberyard chain in Texas, McCoy's, where some locations carry Stihl.

All of these have a service guy and a dedcated salesman for the Stihl products.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #92  
Home Despot here sells Stihl. Far as qualified service is concerned, just buy it from an authorized dealer and that includes Echo or Husky. I purchase all my Echo's from a dealer and not a box store, always have. Just so happens I work part time for that dealer...lol

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #94  
I've seen Stihl at Atwoods and Northern Tool. I wouldn't consider those to be Box Stores.
I would... You ever try to get warranty coverage from Northern Tool? Bet not. far as Atwood's go, I know nothing about them at all.

If it's mail order, no matter where it is, warranty coverage will always be slim to not existent.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #95  
Yes, it is, I have one as well and it requires some easy modifications to extract it's full potential, like a Muffler mod and repositioning the deflector shield so it don't melt the plastic over cover. No big deals actually.
my 2511T 's exhaust. She's a screamer!

Attachments

• echoMuffler.jpg
    echoMuffler.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
   / Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #96  
I only know of two places in my area to buy a Stihl. One is a tractor dealer and the other is a big box store. The knowledge, or lack of, at both places makes you want to avoid buying any saw from them.... Meanwhile, several different small engine shops in my area sell Husqvarna and Echo with knowledgeable sales folks and repair facilities....

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #97  
I would... You ever try to get warranty coverage from Northern Tool? Bet not. far as Atwood's go, I know nothing about them at all.

If it's mail order, no matter where it is, warranty coverage will always be slim to not existent.
Atwoods, Northern Tool do have an on-line sales division but they don't do anything on-line with Stihl saws except battery and mostly the small hand tool stuff and consumables like trimmer string. McCoys doesn't do on-line that I know of at all. Bailey's is a big on-line retailer of saws and will sell you a Husky or Echo saw through the mail but they don't sell Stihl saws at all.

But you never answered my question. Other than the ones I named what other "Box stores" were you referring to that sell Stihl saws?

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #98  
One is a tractor dealer and the other is a big box store.
What "big box store" are you referring to?

The reason I'm asking specifically is I don't know of any that I consider a Box Store that sells Stihl and it seems the actual defination of a Box store is not always consistent. What you consider a "big box store" may not be the same as everyone elses.

Last edited:
   / Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #99  
You ever try to get warranty coverage from Northern Tool?
Sort of. I bought a top handle Stihl MS194T at Northern Tool. They ony had one. The guy took it to the back to start it and test run it. He was gone longer than necessary I thought. When he came back he said the saw was not wanting to idle at first but then it smoothed out ok. I was a little concerned about that. So, when I got home I started it and it absolutely would not idle. I took it back immediately and they gave me a refund and compensated me for the fuel and oil I put in it. I hold the salesman and that particular store responsible more than Stihl on that one. But they didn't blink (much) when I asked for the refund. I've never needed warranty coverage on any other Stihl product.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #100  
Atwoods, Northern Tool do have an on-line sales division but they don't do anything on-line with Stihl saws except battery and mostly the small hand tool stuff and consumables like trimmer string. McCoys doesn't do on-line that I know of at all. Bailey's is a big on-line retailer of saws and will sell you a Husky or Echo saw through the mail but they don't sell Stihl saws at all.

But you never answered my question. Other than the ones I named what other "Box stores" were you referring to that sell Stihl saws?
I did if you cared to read my comment. Home Depot here sells Stihl. Bottom line is, ANY online retailer that offers ANY brand of saw that might or might not require warranty intervention will be iffy, at best and that includes Bailey's and I buy stuff from them as well, just not anything that might entail a warranty issue.

With any product, it's always better to buy from a local brick and mortar outlet than online or mail order.