Talk me out of a 460 Rancher

/ Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #21  

I love my bone stock 500i, but way too early to tell.
Actually REALLY like my 261C, too and have ran a lot of tanks through it. A real nice saw.

I haven’t detected that my 500i was weak from a structural view. I am more skeptical about the electronics. I wouldn’t want to handle more than a 500i with a 25” bar more than a few hours at this stage in life anyway.

I hope they both work out because they feel right and I want to ride off into the sun with them-maybe add a small climber this year.
The 500i’s have been out in Europe for quite a while now. In my time with it I’ve never noticed it to be a lesser quality saw than any other stihl I’ve had.

I’m really happy with the 194t. It’s not a pro saw but for the money it’s a nice little saw. I have. Totally rebuild 200t but it’s like a shelf queen I never use it.

/ Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #22  
Nibanna
If the 460 fits your requirements then I would purchase one. My local dealer carries both Husky and Dolmar. I have never operated a Dolmar but dealer says very comparable to Husky.

/ Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #23  
The dolmar 7900 was a hell of a saw. Im
Not sure what the equivalent of that now would be. 460 is a good saw but it’s a little on the heavy side from what I remember.

/ Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #24  
I bought a 7900 in 2010 and it has been flawless up until about a week ago. Started running rough while I was milling some red oak. I believe the coil is bad. New part is ordered. I have been researching new saws just in case….. Husqvarna 372XP and the 500i are my top choices.

/ Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #25  
I bought a 7900 in 2010 and it has been flawless up until about a week ago. Started running rough while I was milling some red oak. I believe the coil is bad. New part is ordered. I have been researching new saws just in case….. Husqvarna 372XP and the 500i are my top choices.
I’ve owned so many 372’s wanting to really like them because their loved in the saw world. I just think they’re too heavy for their output. The 7900 is a better saw imo. Great antivibe too on that one.

/ Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #26  
500i isn’t for everyone. Most people won’t spend that much on a chainsaw. I’ve had mine a couple years and it’s been nothing but perfect. I can’t say how a stock one runs as I had mine ported before I even put gas in it. It totally walks my 066. Imo a great all around firewood saw size is in the 60cc range. Of if you wanna carry more weight a 70cc. Personally I’d everyday a 60cc over a 70 for the weight savings. Antivibe is to be considered too.

IMO a great one and done solution is the 60cc saw. It will do almost anything a regular landowner needs.

I did the two saw solution with the 50cc 550XP Mk II and a 70cc 572XP.

The 550 is wearing a 20" bar and punches way over it's weight class. It gets probably 90% of my use. The 572 I'll swap out a 24 and 28" bar depending on use. Sweet spot is really with the 24, but has no problem pulling the 28 through hardwood.

/ Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #27  
I went from Makitas/Dolmar 6400’s to the Stihl 261C and 500i.

Last edited:
   / Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #28  
Just take you time while changing the module. It is not an easy swap. Requires disassembling about half the saw. The kill wire to the switch runs through a grommet by the starter and you have to remove the fuel tank to access it and to unplug and replug the kill switch. Which has a bad habit of breaking the back off when you try to unplug the wire from it. did so many that I always ordered a kill switch when replacing the module on the 6400-7300-7900 series saws.

/ Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #29  
Good info. Thank you!

/ Talk me out of a 460 Rancher #30  
Makita Dolmar quit making gas OPE last spring. Good stuff but I would tend to shy away.
Was hard enough getting parts even before.

6100 would be the one in pro grade mag case. To be same size as 460 etc. It and echo blow those plastic ones out at that price point.

You wont find these on the rack anymore. Like shown. Was before spring last year.

m79016401.JPG
m7900.jpg

Last edited: