Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually...

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #11  
you will save a ton of money by not getting a diesel. i am happy with my 2012 2500 hemi. with the new true 6-speed trans it is alot better than my 08 half ton hemi accelerating and pulling small loads. the ride is stiff but it is not any worse than the half ton with e-rated tires. so far it is averaging the same mpg as my 08 with mds hemi and 3.92 gears. about 13mpg being remote start happy up here in the snow, i should see 16 average this summer and it averages close to 20 on the highway at old man speeds according to the average mpg display. i should be getting my hitch installed tomorrow and getting a load of saw dust for animal bedding with the gn horse trailer so i will be able to compare how good it does compared to the old v10 2500 that gets 7mpg no matter what i am doing with it. if 10k is the max you plan to tow i would save even more money and get a half ton with v8 or ecoboost.

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #12  
When I bought my small farm and moved out of the city, I owned a Dakota w/a V6. No great shakes for a truck, but living in town, it was more or less a daily driver, or 2nd car if you will. Then I bought a tractor, with a FEL, put it on the trailer and started for the farm. The V6 wouldn't pull it, w/o constantly shifting up and down. This is Florida (say no hills). It was worthless on the flats. I had bought the V6 thinking mileage. Nope! 16mpg empty
I bought an old 93 Ford 3/4 ton IDI diesel. It would pull the tractor/trailer combo like it wasn't there, and get 18 mpg doing so. Had to go to S Fl to appear in court, and jumped in the Dodge. Heard this awful squealing noise, popped the hood, and the water pump was shot so bad, the fan was banging around (53000 mi). Got in the old Ford and made the trip uneventfully. When I got home, the Dodge went out front w/ for sale in the window.
Believe it or not, I paid almost exactly 5 times as much for the Dodge as the old Ford. I later sold that Ford, and bought an F350 dual cab, long bed w/
power stroke 4X4. It'll pull anything I put on a 32' gooseneck easily. Unfortunately, it doesn't get used much, it's just too hard to park to take it to town. The point I'm trying to make, is that any v6, no matter what brand is not the best choice for a p/u if your'e going to tow anything. I love the dually, but unless I'm hauling the gooseneck w/a big load, it's vey inconvenient.

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #13  
Reasons to buy a 1 ton dually diesel? Because you want one, thats always been a good enough reason for me. I bought a 2004 Dodge Quad Cab diesel about a year and a half ago, its a 3/4 ton 4x4. I probably use its capibilities about once a year, and I could easily get by with a 1/2 ton. I just got it becasue I always wanted one and I have no regrets.

I should add I've always been into perfromace vehicles. I took my Cummins drag racing this last summer at a diesel event. I also had a 70 Dodge Challenger with a 383 4 barrel in it that I drag raced at the same track years ago. The Cummins was only about 0.10 seconds slower in the 1/8 mile than my 70 Challenger was. Its a truck, but it still puts a smile on my face every so often.

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #14  
Before I start - this thread is not intended to be a "one brand" over another discussion, but rather one on the issues associated with any Dual Cab Dually - be it Chevy, GMC, Ford, or Dodge. :thumbsup:

I have a 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 Short and Wide with the 6 cyl that I bought new. It's a great "city" truck - but it ain't much for the country. No real towing capacity (darn near killed the thing hauling motorcycles in an enclosed 6x12), and since it's a single cab it really doesn't have any room - at all! It also gets lousy gas mileage, so the savings in fuel I thought I would find simply aren't there. So, I'm lookin' to upgrade. I want something with a tow capacity of 10000 lbs, but other than that I'm open to the truck I buy.

In looking at the various options available, I've stumbled across an irregularity in pricing. It seems dealer stock of RAM 2500 series trucks are all intended for snow birds, doctors, lawyers, and such. They are loaded to the hilt and priced to match. However, if I move up to the RAM 3500 the price drops dramatically. There is almost a $10k difference between a fully loaded RAM 2500 (the only way they seem to come) and a nicely optioned RAM 3500 (power windows / locks, tilt, alarm, AM/FM CD).

As to options on the 2500 - I like leather, but I don't need it. I like BOSE sound systems with 15 speakers, but I don't need it. I don't like two tone paint - so I really don't need that. All of these "don't needs" are on every RAM 2500 I find. Matter of fact - the ONLY thing I'd like to have on the RAM 3500 that I can't get is a driver's side power seat (because stock RAM seats have NO adjustments at all).

Other than sheer size, what are the disadvantages of owning a RAM 3500 Dually over a RAM 2500? BTW - both have the same engine - Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Thanks

Personally, if I could get a 3500 for less than a 2500 I would take it. I had a GMC diesel dually from 93-02 and then got a 02 GMC diesel dually and love it. Even though it has two more tires, it seems the tires last longer than a 4 wheel set-up. Maybe tires are better or maybe 2 extra tires supporting the weight help?

I have an extended cab and made sure I ordered electric seats. That was money down the hole. Give me manual seats any day. With manual seats in a GMC you could lay the seat all the way down backward and take a snooze if you want. Power seats only go back a little way.

I have no problem driving around with a dually, but care must be taken and make sure you plan for the turning radius. I drive into drive-thru banking and restaurants all the time. But one time I was rubbing tires on both sides, but that is not usually the case.

I pull a 17,000# 37' fifth wheel all over and it just lopes along. Of course I put a power chip in so that helps.
Just towing a little 12' trailer, and unless you plan on putting 5000# of weight in the box, a 3/4 ton truck would maybe be better.
Duallys, in my opinion look a lot better than 4 whls when it comes to extended cab long boxes. That is with any brand.
I don't have a problem with mileage either. Pulling the camper I get maybe 11 something and if I really cool my jets, 12. Empty and not worrying about mileage much, maybe 15-17. A couple tanks I got as high as 21, but not very often.

If you can get a dually cheaper than a 3/4 ton truck, I think the dealer made a mistake. If he didn't, I would jump on it. Besides, they sure look tough coming down the road.

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually...
Good points from everyone, but here's the rub...

I have a quote on the Ram 3500 Dually - optioned like I want it - for $40,206. The RAM 2500 - with a whole bunch of stuff I don't need and don't want is $50,000. Both have the same engine. The dealers simply don't have entry price point RAM 2500's on the lot. I like the added payload and I like the added towing of the 3500. Both trucks are the same length, but the RAM 2500 is obviously more narrow. I will use the towing and the payload capacity this year - a lot! We have two pole barns to build, fence to install, gates, entrances, roads to build, materials to haul, and eventually product to move. And if I'm REALLY lucky I might even get to take the motorcycles on a trip. Point is - my previous needs do not match my current requirements - I need to upgrade. I don't need to go to a 3500, but it's 10 grand LESS than the 2500! I can buy a lot of tires for 10 grand. I've also toyed with the Hemi in a 1500, but I pushed my current truck and an SUV I had before it to their respective limits and it cost me transmissions in both. I want a truck this time that's rated higher - not lower - as such it's a 2500 or a 3500.

On everyone's comments...

Size is my biggest worry. The truck is going to "live and work" in the country, so it's not going to be jocking for parking in downtown Houston. I'll probably forego Sonic from here on out and may have an issue at the drive through teller at the bank - but this is my work truck.

Fuel mileage isn't an issue. At the farm everything is within 10 miles. Long trips might be something to look at, but this isn't my only vehicle - I can always take the car.

Slippery on snow? I'll need to keep that in mind. We don't get much snow down here and when we do it's simply picture time. We stay home, enjoy the view, and wait until tomorrow when the temperature gets back up to 70.

Slippery on wet roads though - well that's different. Does the 2500 series have the same issues? It doesn't seem like two skinny tires in the rear would result in less traction than one large tire. There were experimental race cars a few years back (Formula 1) that had 4 smaller tires in the front. If I recall it was to gain an advantage in the wet.

Of note... I went out to the farm today to take delivery of the new Kubota M7040 I bought. The tractor was delivered by a RAM 3500. I also noted that every RAM 3500 I passed on the way in was towing, hauling, or doing something with a large load - they were working and dirty. On the flip side, every 2500 I saw - no matter what brand - was shinny, polished, freshly washed, and driven by either moms or suits...

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #16  
Hey, you've talked me into it. Whats the dealers name? :)

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #17  
Slippery on snow? I'll need to keep that in mind. We don't get much snow down here and when we do it's simply picture time. We stay home, enjoy the view, and wait until tomorrow when the temperature gets back up to 70.

Slippery on wet roads though - well that's different. Does the 2500 series have the same issues? It doesn't seem like two skinny tires in the rear would result in less traction than one large tire. There were experimental race cars a few years back (Formula 1) that had 4 smaller tires in the front. If I recall it was to gain an advantage in the wet.

I drove my dually every day in the winter in Wisconsin and I did own regular 4x4s before that. In heavy snow I would say a dually in about 10% worse in snow, but then that is what 4wd was for.

In rain, I never noticed much of a difference from 4 whl trucks. Go for the dually, but that is just a Wisconsin dually owners opinion. As long as ypu can get it cheaper than a 3/4 ton truck, when it comes time to sell it you should make out all right.

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #18  
I'd get the 2500 if your towing under 12k.
I've owned a 4x4 2012 Ram 2500 SLT 8' bed with extended cab $32k out the door, for just over a year now. I've done some towing, 6000 lb travel trailer, towed about 2k miles last summer. Moved my tractor/equipment trailer & boat (about 10k lbs) a few hundred miles. I've put this truck thru its paces with payload (5k of bagged cement in bed) and towing. I've owned Chevys & Fords forever. My brother jokes about it coming from the factory with a dirt floor in it, because nobody in there right mind would do that to a 1 week old truck. I get 17-18 mpg empty @ 60mph, 10.5-11.5. in the city and 10-11 towing the camper.

It tows great for what I do with it, All around I'm happy with the truck and it beats the heck out of the 2500 chevy and 1500 trucks I've owned in the past. I would say the only downside is, it rides like a tank going down a dirt or bumpy road, flat blacktop its great. If I let some air out of the tires to fix the problem it rides good but then the light comes on for anything under 60psi.

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #19  
I HAVE A 2011 3500hd chevy reg cab gasser 4x4 mines a work truck with tow package snowplow prep tow mirrors rubber floor mat 4.11 gears i find it the way i wanted it if not i would have order it i sugget doing a dealer locator that what i did you can look at what the dealers have one by one it takes time but it works i found my truck 100 miles away

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually...
I HAVE A 2011 3500hd chevy reg cab gasser 4x4 mines a work truck with tow package snowplow prep tow mirrors rubber floor mat 4.11 gears i find it the way i wanted it if not i would have order it i sugget doing a dealer locator that what i did you can look at what the dealers have one by one it takes time but it works i found my truck 100 miles away
Trust me - I've covered all of the dealers in the Houston area. I swear they all must have used the same buyer - and he/she must LOVE white trucks! However, I did "expand" my search range outside of Houston and I've found a few 2500's with the Hemi. Still doing research on all of the differences....

BTW - I'm in IT so everything I do is online and by e-mail. I'm dealing with the "internet manager" on the dually and I've got buy offers on my trade in as well - all from the comfort of my office chair! ;)

Thanks