Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine?

/ Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine? #1  

inode

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD12
I'm still getting used to my Kubota M7060. I started doing some bush hogging and am consonantly under trees on the edge of the field. The limbs are hitting the exhaust stack up near where the exhaust exits. Should I be worried about something entering the exhaust pipe such as tree twigs and bark and possibly damaging the engine?

The thread about tractors having their exhaust covered in transit to protect the turbo got me thinking about this. I don't want to risk damage but don't know another way around the issue other than have the exhaust changed. Input appreciated.

/ Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine? #2  
the danger is cracking something. the fix is to prune the trees above the exhaust..

/ Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine? #3  
   / Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine? #4  
the danger is cracking something. the fix is to prune the trees above the exhaust..

This^

I snagged the exhaust pipe on my John Deere last year - and the leverage from the tall exhaust broke the exhaust manifold on the engine so I had to buy a new one.

/ Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine? #5  
Every little bit helps, so:
If the exhaust pipe is on the right side of the tractor, mow the edge of the field clockwise; if it's on the left mow the edge counterclockwise.

/ Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine? #6  
I'm still getting used to my Kubota M7060. I started doing some bush hogging and am consonantly under trees on the edge of the field. The limbs are hitting the exhaust stack up near where the exhaust exits. Should I be worried about something entering the exhaust pipe such as tree twigs and bark and possibly damaging the engine?

The thread about tractors having their exhaust covered in transit to protect the turbo got me thinking about this. I don't want to risk damage but don't know another way around the issue other than have the exhaust changed. Input appreciated.

I mow near/around/beneath trees with all of my mowing tractors.

For this reason, I specify horizontal exhaust systems.

I have one on my M9960. You can probably get one for your 7060. Not sure about DEF models.

SDT

/ Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine? #7  
I don't worry about the smaller branches hurting the tractor, having to get my hand and arm up to stop them from slapping me in the face can be an issue.
It will also depend on the tractor and exhaust piping, some just had a straight pipe up thru the hood to the muffler.
This style on a larger limb can bend or break mufflers, pipes and sometimes exhaust manifolds,
some of those have a brace or bracket to try and protect the manifold and pipe.
On the tractors with an exhaust that goes back and up a corner of the rops or cab they usually have some substantial brackets that will reduce damage concerns.
Of course if it's a 3-4" Oak limb it's going to hurt something.
I absolutely detest the low exhausts, part of that is from frequently working around tractors being run for stationary uses and the low exhaust blowing in your face,
but that is just a personal preference.

/ Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine? #8  

:thumbsup:

If the limbs are hitting the exhaust stack, it's past time to trim the trees.

/ Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine?
This is a ROPS model. As for limbs being overgrown, I couldn’t agree more. The farm was purchased a year ago and was neglected. I have far more work ahead of me than time.

/ Tall Exhaust Pipe Hitting Tree Limbs...Dangerous to engine? #10  
This is a ROPS model. As for limbs being overgrown, I couldn’t agree more. The farm was purchased a year ago and was neglected. I have far more work ahead of me than time.

All four of my Kubota tractors are ROPS models, and trees are the reason.

When one mows around hundreds of trees, it is not feasible to trim all of the limbs.

SDT